Ammo Shortage

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Though there are dozens of major and minor ammunition manufacturers in the U.S., only four domestic manufacturers produce primers: Federal, CCI, Remington and Winchester.

Every other manufacturer except these 4, and you can bet Remington's manufacture is not running at capacity at this moment.
    I know I’ve bought primers from a few manufacturers outside the US and everything seems to work out fine, but for the choice loads I’ve stuck with over the years and most of my 300AAC loading I stick with American stuff. I’ve had a few people tell me over the years that primers are primers, but there wouldn’t be more than one type of each size primer if that were the case. Sellier & Bellot makes good primers. I haven’t tried the Tula/Wolf stuff at all but hear they are good.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Though there are dozens of major and minor ammunition manufacturers in the U.S., only four domestic manufacturers produce primers: Federal, CCI, Remington and Winchester.

Every other manufacturer except these 4, and you can bet Remington's manufacture is not running at capacity at this moment.

I know that Federal and CCI/Speer make their own, which is why I stated it. I mentioned Sig, because there was an SSD article a month or so ago talking about Sig beginning production of their own primers.

img_5103-440x440.jpg

https://soldiersystems.net/2020/10/31/this-is-happening-2/

I am assuming that the major primer manufacturers also sell to smaller manufacturers.

Also, I left Academy today (looking for non-gun stuff), but stopped by the counter while I was there. Ammo was limit 1 box per person and .22lr was $0.18/rd.

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    I know that Federal and CCI/Speer make their own, which is why I stated it. I mentioned Sig, because there was an SSD article a month or so ago talking about Sig beginning production of their own primers.

img_5103-440x440.jpg

I am assuming that the major primer manufacturers also sell to smaller manufacturers.

Also, I left Academy today (looking for non-gun stuff), but stopped by the counter while I was there. Ammo was limit 1 box per person and .22lr was $0.18/rd.

The Kenner Academy has a 3 box limit, one box can be bulk ammo though, over 150 rounds. Steelcase 9mm was about .20/round before tax, not terrible considering the times. Not sure what everything else was running, but they had plenty of .223, .380, .22lr, 45acp, and 9mm.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    The Kenner Academy has a 3 box limit, one box can be bulk ammo though, over 150 rounds. Steelcase 9mm was about .20/round before tax, not terrible considering the times. Not sure what everything else was running, but they had plenty of .223, .380, .22lr, 45acp, and 9mm.

So no brass cased Ammo?

Jlong1691

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2020
    Denham Springs

img_5103-440x440.jpg

Sig at this point I don't think could be considered a Major Manufacturer of ammunition by volume. Hornady and a couple others come to mind though. Even then, pretty much all of them are being sourced from two major producers right now, both of which are going to prioritize their own production capability over anyone else. So that means smaller manufacturers, and some large ones as well are bidding for whatever primers they can get their hands on. This is what is being told to me by the folks who I order my ammo for retail sale through at any rate. In any case, this is why you are seeing prices for the primer producing ammo companies, not increase as much, and availability somewhat out there. Ammo is still very much hard to find for those of us that actually shoot. I am nowhere near comfortable enough to make regular range trips with my stash, and current availability, in the same capacity as I have been shooting over the past few years.

It is not impossible to find, but it is nowhere near as expendable. I can't just call tomorrow, and have a pallet shipped from any one manufacturer.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I went to Hammond academy after lunch and bought the three 525 round boxes of Remington golden bullets because they were 29.99 each and I get 5% off using their card. Worked out to 6 cents per round after tax. They also had a Taurus TX22 for 299 and a Ruger MKIV 22/45 Lite and maybe 20 other handguns. They had about 50 boxes of CCI Stingers and a couple dozen boxes of 40 S+W and 45ACP defensive loads. I couldn’t find any coveralls tho, which is why I went.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Sig at this point I don't think could be considered a Major Manufacturer of ammunition by volume. Hornady and a couple others come to mind though. Even then, pretty much all of them are being sourced from two major producers right now, both of which are going to prioritize their own production capability over anyone else. So that means smaller manufacturers, and some large ones as well are bidding for whatever primers they can get their hands on. This is what is being told to me by the folks who I order my ammo for retail sale through at any rate. In any case, this is why you are seeing prices for the primer producing ammo companies, not increase as much, and availability somewhat out there. Ammo is still very much hard to find for those of us that actually shoot. I am nowhere near comfortable enough to make regular range trips with my stash, and current availability, in the same capacity as I have been shooting over the past few years.

It is not impossible to find, but it is nowhere near as expendable. I can't just call tomorrow, and have a pallet shipped from any one manufacturer.

If you go back through my posts, I never said there was an abundant supply. Prices have risen and supplies are low. Is ammunition still available at *cheaper* prices? Yes, but as I’ve stated, it goes fast.

I would love to be shooting 10,000+ rounds of 9mm per year again, but that’s not happening any time soon. I can’t replenish what stock I have. Shooting 2-300 rounds of 9mm alone weekly was nice. I’m afraid that’s not going to happen again any time soon.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    $1 per round actually looks pretty good when compared to 45-70 rifle ammo. Best price for 45-70 on Ammoseek.com is $3 per round, or $60 for a box of 20. Guess my 1893 Trapdoor Springfield is going to sit in the corner for a while.

WOLFIE

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Bossier City
    Well thinking I'll run out to Sherburne this weekend and try a few 9s I cobbled together yesterday.
    Shouldn't be anyone out there with no ammo to be found?

Tupperware, the other ammo can

I use Tupperware myself. Works well when you are out of ammo boxes

Jadams74

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2019
    Ponchatoula, Louisiana
    Nah,Comes around every 4 years,Plus throw in a hurricane or 2,Dem Tifa's in the street,NFAC and all these other lovely ****-head libs that all the sudden need to buy

up everything cause they scared them....and.... Dot.Gov ordering a Quad-trillion-billion rounds to round us up with,You have a shortage.

I'm down to my regular stock of 1000 rounds per caliber of gun that I own, but don't have any for my usual 2-3 times a week of range time and I'm holding off on building my next 300bo AR for now because prices have risen on almost EVERYTHING gun related, not just ammo due to scarcity.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I'm down to my regular stock of 1000 rounds per caliber of gun that I own, but don't have any for my usual 2-3 times a week of range time and I'm holding off on building my next 300bo AR for now because prices have risen on almost EVERYTHING gun related, not just ammo due to scarcity.

I was digging in my stuff this am, Found 6 boxes of the above mentioned pew pew pews

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    :rofl:That's him,Thank the good lord he hasn't found anymore buttshitz'scrazy videos to post....

If ya,want more I am sure Ryan has a,whole play list since he posted that one.
    I can post it if you want. But it can not be un seen

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom