Ammo Shortage

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Plenty of ammo available, if you are willing and able to pay for it. A dollar a round? Buck and a half? Come on $.60 for a $.16 round. Bargains, if you're loaded.
    You would think they were selling toilet paper at that mark up .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Massive first time firearms/ammunition buyers and a ammunition plant burning down this year are 2 factors.

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    I wouldn’t bank on that. It’s the same people who move to escape high taxes and regulation then vote for the same type of politicians that they are trying to escape at their new state of residence. I can’t wrap my head around that type of thinking.
    Don't even try to understand liberal thinking, it's useless. This is the same group behind the me too movement, unless it's a democrat being accused of misconduct.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk Pro

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Hope everybody got what they wanted. Prices are still rising on what little is available online. Talked to my bud at Academy and he says they’re not currently getting their Mon-Wed-Fri ammo shipments and no promise of when from corporate. Even .22LR is scarce again. Prolly gonna be a while before this rights itself.

Jman1911

Louisiana Sportsman
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Hope everybody got what they wanted. Prices are still rising on what little is available online. Talked to my bud at Academy and he says they’re not currently getting their Mon-Wed-Fri ammo shipments and no promise of when from corporate. Even .22LR is scarce again. Prolly gonna be a while before this rights itself.

No shooting going here! Lol

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

Buy cheap,Stack it deep....

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    I’m 40 years old and never have I seen ammo this scarce! Even with Obama we still had ammo at academy & bass bro!

How bad is this gonna be?!

If you don't cast bullets and reload your own ammo ... you might want to take up golf ...it's going to be a couple years . You should be able to buy more expensive ammo by 2023 or 2024 ... the price will go up , come down a little and stay higher than what it was ... but you will be able to buy what you want ... I suggest you then become a hoarder and lay in a lifetime supply ... it's going to happen again ... every 4 to 8 years , and you can take that to the bank !
    Gary

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    If you don't cast bullets and reload your own ammo ... you might want to take up golf ...it's going to be a couple years . You should be able to buy more expensive ammo by 2023 or 2024 ... the price will go up , come down a little and stay higher than what it was ... but you will be able to buy what you want ... I suggest you then become a hoarder and lay in a lifetime supply ... it's going to happen again ... every 4 to 8 years , and you can take that to the bank !
    Gary
    Agreed on everything...but let’s make it fishing instead of golf. Them little white balls...they good target practice for squirrel season but even a Cajun can’t eat dat.

Last edited:

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    It’s available and sometimes available for a very reasonable price. Like anything, if you want it you need to be willing to put the work in. I often get lucky at Walmart with shotgun and rifle ammo. Just this week I found 3 boxes of 15 federal game shok 1oz rifled slugs for $10 a box. A couple days before that I bought 1k rounds of Winchester M-22 for $40. It’s a copper plated .22lr 40gr rounds designed for semi auto rifles and handguns.

What I do is stop at various wal marts and gun shops on my way home from work. Sometimes it’s their sometimes it’s not but I usually score something good once a week at least stopping 2-3 times a week. As far as pistol calibers and 5.56/.223 I brows online early in the morning before work and stop at the gun shops I know of that aren’t charging ridiculous prices.

someone mentioned Jefferson Gun. I wouldn’t even bother with them. $50 + tax for a box of 9mm fmj. I made the mistake of calling them and not asking what they were selling it for before I went. I walked in and was surprised to see a nice selection of pistols calibers. I asked what the price was and when the lady at the counter told me $50 for a box of 9mm I said no not jhp just fmj thinking it had to be what she was talking about. When she told me that was the price for fmj I just shook my head and walked out. Their prices for guns are also absurd selling them on average $100-$200 above market price.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I really wanted to take another class after the new year... but I can't afford to use the ammo! Who knows what the price will be if/when Biden/Kamala starts on 2A restrictions!

Anybody training with bb's? Airsoft? cap guns?

Maybe a shotgun class???

Last edited:

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I really wanted to take another class after the new year... but I can't afford to use the ammo! Who knows what the price will be if/when Biden/Kamala starts on 2A restrictions!

Maybe a shotgun class???

I had bought a Umarex Glock 19 BB pistol and built a BB trap in my garage. Trigger wasn't exactly like my G19 but close and it was surprisingly accurate. I finally wore it out and may buy another. Only issue it didn't quite fit my G19 holsters, the slide was about 1/16" too wide. I was told the G17 model does work in all G19 and G17 holsters. At about $80 it's worth the investment.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I had bought a Umarex Glock 19 BB pistol and built a BB trap in my garage. Trigger wasn't exactly like my G19 but close and it was surprisingly accurate. I finally wore it out and may buy another. Only issue it didn't quite fit my G19 holsters, the slide was about 1/16" too wide. I was told the G17 model does work in all G19 and G17 holsters. At about $80 it's worth the investment.

It doesn’t. I have the G17 Gen 4 blowback Umarex pistol. It doesn’t fit in any holsters.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

Maybe a shotgun class???
    Assuming you’re serious, I’d think .22LR is the way to go, especially if you have a 22 conversion for, or have a full size .22 pistol. The only drawback to my M9 22 or my Walthers is the capacity difference, but they have that full size feel. Same concept with AR rifles or AR style 22’s. I’m not saying go out and buy a .22 trainer, but if you already have something that’ll work, you could do a lot more shooting for your dollar. Shotgun ammo is another story. There are cheap target loads in 7.5 or 8 shot, which will ring the steel I guess, but buckshot has jumped to a buck per round and then some in most places. Nearly all I’m seeing on shelves at the moment is steel waterfowl loads.
    As for me, I’m content running around the yard with the kids wearing out these Nerf guns...

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Assuming you’re serious, I’d think .22LR is the way to go, especially if you have a 22 conversion for, or have a full size .22 pistol. The only drawback to my M9 22 or my Walthers is the capacity difference, but they have that full size feel. Same concept with AR rifles or AR style 22’s. I’m not saying go out and buy a .22 trainer, but if you already have something that’ll work, you could do a lot more shooting for your dollar. Shotgun ammo is another story. There are cheap target loads in 7.5 or 8 shot, which will ring the steel I guess, but buckshot has jumped to a buck per round and then some in most places. Nearly all I’m seeing on shelves at the moment is steel waterfowl loads.
    As for me, I’m content running around the yard with the kids wearing out these Nerf guns...
    Even the price for .22lr is rising now. It’s nothing to see a big box of bulk ammo online listed for $100. To a new shooter that may not seem bad but we all know better especially considering they usually go for what $20 give or take. Luckily I’m well stocked on .22lr and as I mentioned earlier I still score some from time to time stopping at wal marts and gun shops.

One thing to consider with .22lr is you will go through it a hell of a lot faster than say 9mm or .45acp. It’s nothing to go through a brick in an hour or two. Overall though .22 is the best option imo for cheaper training and it’s a blast.

Top Bottom