Louisiana Concealed Carry Bill Status

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2014
    Piney Woods, LA
    Searching for any recent developments concerning House Bill 56 in the 2020 Regular Session of the State Legislature authorizing concealed carry with out a permit. Thanks in advance for replies.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    The HB56 I found had something to do with Medical Marijuana not CHP

Got to get a CHP if you want to carry a concealed handgun in LA

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA
    Any chances of this moving forward in the new session?

I believe there is something like a 5-month backlog for new permits.

Locally, MS has no permit requirement. All of the northern New England states (ME, NH and VT) have permitless carry and are 3 of the top 5 safest (violent crime rates) in the nation.

Last edited:

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    Any chances of this moving forward in the new session?

I believe there is something like a 5-month backlog for new permits.

Idk if it's 5 months but it does seem to vary. I got mine in 2 weeks. I got approved the same day I got my prints at the lsp office in BR. Took 2 weeks to get it in the mail.

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA
    Idk if it's 5 months but it does seem to vary. I got mine in 2 weeks. I got approved the same day I got my prints at the lsp office in BR. Took 2 weeks to get it in the mail.

Excellent. I dropped mine in the mail on 10/19 and when I emailed them on 12/16, they said that that they were processing apps that came in late July. Figure in some time for the holidays, and my guess would be that they are currently working on applications that were received in early Aug...5 months ago

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    Excellent. I dropped mine in the mail on 10/19 and when I emailed them on 12/16, they said that that they were processing apps that came in late July. Figure in some time for the holidays, and my guess would be that they are currently working on applications that were received in early Aug...5 months ago

I didn't mail mine. On Dec 10 I fill out the online application. I uploaded all my forms and did the online signature. By doing that I didn't have to get anything notarized.
    Dec 16th I went to the lsp for prints. As soon as the lady did my prints she walked off with my file, came back with my driver license and said "your permit will be in the mail.". The next morning I got the email it was approved.

Maybe doing it all online would be the better way to apply?

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA
    I didn't mail mine. On Dec 10 I fill out the online application. I uploaded all my forms and did the online signature. By doing that I didn't have to get anything notarized.
    Dec 16th I went to the lsp for prints. As soon as the lady did my prints she walked off with my file, came back with my driver license and said "your permit will be in the mail.". The next morning I got the email it was approved.

Most certainly the best approach but does involve a trip to BR and the flexibility to hang around for a few hours/all day (or so I have heard) to get prints.

Also, was yours a renewal or a new permit? Not sure if that factors into the equation?

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    Most certainly the best approach but does involve a trip to BR and the flexibility to hang around for a few hours/all day (or so I have heard) to get prints.

Also, was yours a renewal or a new permit? Not sure if that factors into the equation?

I got there little past 8am and was out in a half hour. I was applying for a new permit. Who knows man.. Maybe this was my once in a lifetime moment that everything went right with a government office oooor I'm just being set up for a bigger fall. Lol.

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA
    I got there little past 8am and was out in a half hour. I was applying for a new permit. Who knows man.. Maybe this was my once in a lifetime moment that everything went right with a government office oooor I'm just being set up for a bigger fall. Lol.
    Great news! Glad you were able to get in and out and secure your CHP rather quickly!

I am only going off of info passed on to me from my CHP class instructor from people that he had talked to, so I suppose that info is as good as the source. You have first hand knowledge so it does sound like the better option. As I plan to be waiting a few more months for my permit to arrive

thank you for posting

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    Great news! Glad you were able to get in and out and secure your CHP rather quickly!

I am only going off of info passed on to me from my CHP class instructor from people that he had talked to, so I suppose that info is as good as the source. You have first hand knowledge so it does sound like the better option. As I plan to be waiting a few more months for my permit to arrive

thank you for posting

I hope my posts didn't come off as discrediting you.. I am very shocked and can't explain how I got mine so quickly. My chp instructor said the same as yours in regards to the wait time..so i was prepared to wait a few months to get mine.

I am a veteran but I don't think that really means much in this case.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I hope my posts didn't come off as discrediting you.. I am very shocked and can't explain how I got mine so quickly. My chp instructor said the same as yours in regards to the wait time..so i was prepared to wait a few months to get mine.

The Instructors normally do what they have been told by LSP relative to wait times.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Last movement on it was March 2020. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one, especially given everything else going on.

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA

Not at all. Just looking to try and gauge when I can expect to see my permit and also let others that are also waiting know what I have heard. You provided valuable info for those that are applying and are looking to get their permit faster! So, thank you

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA

Applied online 12/14/2020 for renewal, still waiting, my nephew applied with paper for his renewal, got it last week. It appears there is no rhyme or reason to the process. Renewals should get first priority then new applications.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom