Switchblades

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    My theory is, the spring assisted knives recently developed were a get around to the antiquated law and since it was legal for law enforcement and emergency to carry automatics the law was changed. Pretty much. That and it was a stupid law.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My theory is, the spring assisted knives recently developed were a get around to the antiquated law and since it was legal for law enforcement and emergency to carry them the law was changed. Pretty much. That and it was a stupid law.

I think the old leo and emergency exemption was really supposed to be for carrying a knife for emergency reasons but the law was interpreted very broadly and it was generally assumed any auto opening knife was allowed in the exemption. I can't personally recall seeing or hearing about anyone every being arrested for an auto opening knife. But that could be because, like you said, the spring assisted knife made the auto opening knife pointless. But I also can't recall anyone being arrested for a concealed carry knife. It's too bad the SBA3 and similar braces haven't caused the SBR portion of the NFA to go away.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I charged a guy once, but he was also packing a loaded pistol and brass knuckles along with the switchblade, drinking, in a bar, bragging to an off-duty deputy who happened to be drinking there as well. Once, in 21+ years.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I charged a guy once, but he was also packing a loaded pistol and brass knuckles along with the switchblade, drinking, in a bar, bragging to an off-duty deputy who happened to be drinking there as well. Once, in 21+ years.

Yep, a charge like that is kinda an ******* tax. :dogkeke:

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I just recently bought one of the Buck 110 Automatics, just 'cuz. I got in on Knifeworks.com, which is in LA, and they were wicked fast. Ordered it one day, on my doorstep the next.

Oilman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    Lafayette, LA
    Thank you for posting about knifeworks.com. I didn't know they existed. I just checked out their website and I ordered something this morning.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Bought a protech auto the day after the law changed just because I could. Carried it every day since and I'm impressed with how well the black finish has held up. The finish usually goes quick on a knife.

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Bringing this thread back up. I see switchblades are legal now just not concealed. Just wondering if the concealed part is the same as a regular knife. Pocket knives under a certain size are allowed to be concealed legally. Wonder if this applies to switchblades. I do not remember the size regulations and do know that Orleans Parish it is smaller than the state regs.

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    I had a knife confiscated by NOPD because they said more than one inch of the knife has to be visible or it is considered concealed. It was give up my knife or get arrested.

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    I could be wrong but I think now the law is if you have a CHP for a firearm you can conceal a knife also.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I had a knife confiscated by NOPD because they said more than one inch of the knife has to be visible or it is considered concealed. It was give up my knife or get arrested.

NOPD makes their own law. They know that you won't spend thousands of dollars fighting in court for a $100 knife. When I was younger I had many Buck 110s confiscated on Bourbon Street, even though they were legal by Louisiana law. Once I told the cop that I wanted a receipt for it after he confiscated it. He told me "Come over here and get in the back of my car and I will give you a receipt". :exnbp: I said "No thanks"

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom