10/22 Magazines - What is best?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I only have the small flush fit factory magazines. I'd like to get something with more capacity.

Are there any other magazines worth ordering before I buy Ruger BX-25 mags?
    Are BX-25 magazines even worth buying?

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I have some of the Butler creek steel lips and the work great with no issues. I have a couple of their mags with the plastic lips and have had some feed issues. CDNN sports used to have the steel lips for $10 each.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    When I was really into shooting my 10/22, I tried some of the aftermarket mags. None of them worked as well as the factory Ruger mags.

Pony up for the BX-25 mags. They're not cheap, but you'll forget about that long after they keep on working for you.

Mike

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    BX-15 and BX-25 are good. The 25 is long. I like the 15 rounders too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah cool. I didn't know they had 15 rounders. I'd probably like those more as well. I find long mags don't work well if you shoot off a rest at any point.

I have some of the Butler creek steel lips and the work great with no issues. I have a couple of their mags with the plastic lips and have had some feed issues. CDNN sports used to have the steel lips for $10 each.

At $10/pop I could live with them if they weren't the absolute best, so long as they work okay. I think the clear Butler Creek mags are what I used to use.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    When I was really into shooting my 10/22, I tried some of the aftermarket mags. None of them worked as well as the factory Ruger mags.

Pony up for the BX-25 mags. They're not cheap, but you'll forget about that long after they keep on working for you.

Mike

I found some for about $20/ea, so that's why I was wondering if they were worth it over anything else.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

Mike
    Agreed. I went for broke a couple years ago on the BX25’s and still have several packaged. They were 2 for for 36 bucks so why not. Out of maybe 15 that I use I only had one that started lagging. Opened her up and did a good cleaning and good as new. Same with all the 10 rounders I have. Gotta learn how to wind that spring back once they’re clean and they’ll run for years. I do like the 15 rounders in my Ruger American rifles but haven’t stocked up too much on those.
    As for any other brand mags, I’ve tried them all over the years and none hold a candle to OEM.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Agreed. I went for broke a couple years ago on the BX25’s and still have several packaged. They were 2 for for 36 bucks so why not. Out of maybe 15 that I use I only had one that started lagging. Opened her up and did a good cleaning and good as new. Same with all the 10 rounders I have. Gotta learn how to wind that spring back once they’re clean and they’ll run for years. I do like the 15 rounders in my Ruger American rifles but haven’t stocked up too much on those.
    As for any other brand mags, I’ve tried them all over the years and none hold a candle to OEM.

So do you have an actual recommendation? Maybe which to avoid?

Or are you still ignoring me?

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Used butler creek steel lips reliably for years. The cheaper plastic lip version are reliable when new, but will wear out much quicker than the steel lip.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Snagged some BX-25’s for $20/each, $5 shipping, and no tax.

Beats the hell out of paying $35+ each and having tax on top.

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    I’ve used the mess out of butler creek ones. The hot lip ones are even better. They’ve functioned very well for just plinking and doing drills with faster fire.

I’d suggest getting a loader for them as well. Loading 25-30 rounds in any of them by thumb sucks.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    BX15, BX25, and BX50 all run flawlessly for me. I was hesitant to try the 50rd magazine but I haven’t had any issues. I keep mine nice and clean and probably clean them more often than I need to but I’d rather avoid issues over having to fix them.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    BX15, BX25, and BX50 all run flawlessly for me. I was hesitant to try the 50rd magazine but I haven’t had any issues. I keep mine nice and clean and probably clean them more often than I need to but I’d rather avoid issues over having to fix them.

Pump the brakes...

BX-50?!?

I need to find that.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I've only ever used the Ruger OEM and had great realizability with all of them.

The GSG 110 round drums have always had good reviews. I've always wanted to try one but never did when they were $50 and plentiful. They are now more expensive and much harder to find.

I think the BX 50 is just 2 BX 25's connected together. There are also Ruger OEM packs of 2 BX-25's they may be cheaper than buying them solo.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Pump the brakes...

BX-50?!?

I need to find that.

yep and it’s a ton of fun. 50 rounds of rimfire joy as fast as you can pull the trigger. Theirs a couple of gun shops in the Nola metro area that have them in stock. I’ve found it’s cheaper buying them from gun shops then ordering online generally.

I have 6 BX25, 2 BX15 and one BX50. I was hesitant to buy the 50 because I felt it’s reliably may be questionable. I was definitely wrong and as soon as I got to the range and fired it I instantly regretted not getting another one. All it is, is two BX25 combined. My biggest gripe is you can’t take it apart and use it as two BX25s. Ruger easily could have made that happen but all in all it’s a ton of fun.

Ive seen complaints of problems with the BX25 and 50 online in the past. I think ruger may have corrected that issue because mine fit snug in the gun and run flawlessly. I don’t want to jinx it but I still haven’t installed all of the upgrades I ordered from Brownells. I’m using a brand new stock 10/22 carbine and out of 900 rounds now not a single hiccup. I still regret to this day selling mine from when I was younger but this new one eases that pain lol.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I prefer the std 10rd factory rotary mag.

I do like the tandemkross "double kross" mag bodies. These allow you to put the guts of 2 rotary mags in this clear body. Still functions the same, and you have to remove the mag and flip it over to use the downward pointing 10rds. You can accomplish the same thing with a mag coupler, but that makes for a much bigger package than using this mag body. They are great for shooting off a rest or over an embankment, etc. Barely stick out of the gun, no lower than the trigger guard.

I just don't care for how long the 25rd mags are. Just seems like a giant mag. I know that getting 22lr to double stack is a pain.

J2K

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Lafayette, LA
    I prefer the std 10rd factory rotary mag.

I do like the tandemkross "double kross" mag bodies. These allow you to put the guts of 2 rotary mags in this clear body. Still functions the same, and you have to remove the mag and flip it over to use the downward pointing 10rds. You can accomplish the same thing with a mag coupler, but that makes for a much bigger package than using this mag body. They are great for shooting off a rest or over an embankment, etc. Barely stick out of the gun, no lower than the trigger guard.

I just don't care for how long the 25rd mags are. Just seems like a giant mag. I know that getting 22lr to double stack is a pain.

this is exactly how I prefer my magazines. Well said!:cool:

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Factory black plastic or clear 10-rounder - good to go. The black ones can be found for $11-$12 each in a pack of 3. Don't pay more.
    Butler Creek - good to go.
    Tandemkross Double Kross - excellent, 20 rounds at your fingertips.
    15 and 25 round mags - can be good but most have feed problems, usually can be fixed with tape shims and tweeking. Not recommended because of their history of being a problem.
    Clear factory10-rounder that has been dyed to your color of choice - you'll be the coolest shooter out there and everyone will ask where you got them. There's a thread showing some dyed red that I did for my granddaughter for her 4H shooting.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475214&highlight=dyeing+magazines&page=9

Mags work best if they are cleaned occasionally, and given a shot of Hornady One Shot silicone lubricant.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nexus2024
    Top Bottom