GunBroker to start collecting sales tax 1/1/21

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaggerBlade

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 26, 2015
    Baton Rouge LA
    GunBroker.com will be implementing the new Marketplace Facilitator Internet Sales Tax regulations on January 1, 2021. As a marketplace, GunBroker.com will be required to collect and remit sales tax on all sales according to the state law.
    A Marketplace Facilitator is defined as an entity that provides a forum for sellers to promote their sale of physical property, digital goods, and services and is compensated for these services. As such, GunBroker.com is deemed to be a Marketplace Facilitator for sellers on the site.

WOLFIE

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Bossier City
    GunBroker.com will be implementing the new Marketplace Facilitator Internet Sales Tax regulations on January 1, 2021. As a marketplace, GunBroker.com will be required to collect and remit sales tax on all sales according to the state law.
    A Marketplace Facilitator is defined as an entity that provides a forum for sellers to promote their sale of physical property, digital goods, and services and is compensated for these services. As such, GunBroker.com is deemed to be a Marketplace Facilitator for sellers on the site.

Gun prices (in a way) just went up again

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    That just doesn't make sense. If I sell one of my guns to an individual face to face there is no tax, but if I list it on gunbroker they have to collect a sales tax? That is just stupid.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    The government hated that they could not have their hands in our online dealings and they slowly but surely have found a way to get their hands in all of those also.

More legalized plunder.

Anyone want some tea?

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    The government hated that they could not have their hands in our online dealings and they slowly but surely have found a way to get their hands in all of those also.

More legalized plunder.

Anyone want some tea?

if you give me tea im thowing it in the harbor... or maybe the swamps of livingston.. same diff.

tallguy606

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Houma LA
    It Adds Up

if you give me tea im thowing it in the harbor... or maybe the swamps of livingston.. same diff.

So now if you buy a gun on GB, you have to add sales tax, then shipping, then your receiving FFL's fee. Better be a great deal to start with to make it worthwhile.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    That just doesn't make sense. If I sell one of my guns to an individual face to face there is no tax, but if I list it on gunbroker they have to collect a sales tax? That is just stupid.

According to the law, if you sell something for a profit, you are supposed to pay taxes on the profit. If you buy something any your state has a sales tax, you are supposed to pay the sales tax to the state. So there is tax on a face to face transaction. For the regular Joe who doesn't do that as a business, I doubt anyone will come looking if the proper paperwork isn't filed. On Gunbroker, you shouldn't have to pay taxes on the items you are listing. It should just be on the items you are buying. Gunbroker wouldn't know what the seller paid for the item so it can't know if they're selling for a profit or a loss. They only know the price the seller is selling it for.

Beveaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2015
    outside NOLA
    I'm not sure how Gunbroker is going to collect on all sales. About half the time I get something off Gunbroker, the seller has me contact them directly to pay. They don't go through Gunbroker's payment system.

Just bought a couple of shotguns from a pawn shop in Gulfport through Gunbroker. Paid the pawn shop directly without any payments to Gunbroker.

Maybe they will only collect the sales tax of any purchases through their system.

Enal

FIDO
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Gunbroker is owned by eBay and has been for quite a while.

They are only enforcing this because the STATE of LA required this just like with any online sales just like Amazon started doing. Gunbroker had a longer extension to get things sorted out because of all the different categories and product types.

If you want to **** & moan about taxes then call the Louisiana State Tax & Revenue Office and complain that all the Guns, Ammo & Accessories are now being taxed! That will start an entirely New Conversation for you. Also, the main people that pushed for this to go into effect were Local Owned Businesses that everyone wanted to support, kinda!
    When they rolled up to Jim’s, Hebert’s or other gun store and the prices weren’t agreeable they went online and got it cheaper.

Those Days are Gone... This shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone!

To be honest, there’s a lot of great deals on GunBroker and they have plenty of everything. If you don’t like the price then you don’t buy, but also done cry..!

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana

Really not the same difference...Some tobacco farmers in Kentucky had their own little tax revolt. They threw a couple of bales of tobacco (organic material) off of a bridge. The EPA showed up to make them recover it.

TrapperT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2020
    Sulphur,La.
    Gunbroker is owned by eBay and has been for quite a while.

They are only enforcing this because the STATE of LA required this just like with any online sales just like Amazon started doing. Gunbroker had a longer extension to get things sorted out because of all the different categories and product types.

If you want to **** & moan about taxes then call the Louisiana State Tax & Revenue Office and complain that all the Guns, Ammo & Accessories are now being taxed! That will start an entirely New Conversation for you. Also, the main people that pushed for this to go into effect were Local Owned Businesses that everyone wanted to support, kinda!
    When they rolled up to Jim’s, Hebert’s or other gun store and the prices weren’t agreeable they went online and got it cheaper.

Those Days are Gone... This shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone!

To be honest, there’s a lot of great deals on GunBroker and they have plenty of everything. If you don’t like the price then you don’t buy, but also done cry..!

You are correct ,it is only Louisiana that is doing this.I just received my
    sprint bill for december.They are charging me $12.84 for taxes for La,just
    to own a cell phone.Now my bill is 70 instead of 55.Whats crazy is,they
    are charging taxes for calcasieu county and for the state.Two different
    taxes,.WTHHHH

We are in the process of removing our family from La.I suggest everyone
    do the same.Get out before they break you!!!!!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom