Firearms Shortage? Not quite.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    I definitely agree with your original post. I haven't seen much on the shelves at the local stores, but there's no shortage from online dealers that I've seen. I've purchased 4 handguns in the last couple of months, all at antifa/blm/covid/election/murder hornet pre-panic prices.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Also forgot to mention Gretna Gun has a nice selection of guns and their pricing is fair. They are pretty much the only gun shop I even bother with these days and the store I find myself at the most with the exception of big box stores.

Also I find out of all the shops I’ve been to in the New Orleans metro area I’d say by far they have the most knowledgeable staff. I’ve heard some crazy things said and suggested in gun shops over the years lol but the guys at Gretna for the most part know what they are talking about. Imo they also have the best gun Smith in the area. All around a pretty solid shop. Just do me a favor and don’t go to often, I don’t need y’all buying all the goods before I can get to them lol.

On the flip side of that a gun shop I’d say steer clear of would be Jefferson gun. I was looking for specifically a gen 3 Glock 17 for awhile. I found one their for $850 before tax lol. I wound up buying one a couple weeks later at academy for around $525-$550 out the door with a 10% military discount. If your desperate they have guns and ammo I just don’t ever see myself paying upwards of $60 for a box of 9mm fmj.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I agree that there are still guns out there but on the whole there are less offerings. One has only to look here and see the number of people looking for specifics that are sold out at every turn. While I have bought several firearms throughout this calendar year, it’s less than my usual by a long shot. Mostly due to the prices, but also availability. Anyone who keeps up with my Hot Deals posts can see there are no more $200 Taurus G2, Walther P-22, pistols nor any $250 PPK .22, Creed 9mm, etc. and so on. Practically everything has increased in price significantly. The pistols I could get last year for $399 and $499 are now $599 and up, IF you can find them.
    I suppose you could take a look at the last couple years and claim that we were just in a huge surplus era. Pin together AR builds for $300 was a daily email throughout 2019. However you look at the present, there’s no denying that things are different than years gone by.
    So let’s call it what it is, demand is outrunning supply. How long it will continue is dependent on real and perceived threats to our 2nd amendment rights and the continued availability of firearms as well as the unrest of a nation. Add to that the sudden realization that many have voiced about law enforcement being unable to protect them, especially in light of recent calls for defunding that protection. The demand for firearms is at an all time high for our lifetime and the industry is not keeping up. Some people call that a shortage. However you see it, whatever you call it, there is way less available at any given time and there’s no denying that.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I agree that there are still guns out there but on the whole there are less offerings. One has only to look here and see the number of people looking for specifics that are sold out at every turn. While I have bought several firearms throughout this calendar year, it’s less than my usual by a long shot. Mostly due to the prices, but also availability. Anyone who keeps up with my Hot Deals posts can see there are no more $200 Taurus G2, Walther P-22, pistols nor any $250 PPK .22, Creed 9mm, etc. and so on. Practically everything has increased in price significantly. The pistols I could get last year for $399 and $499 are now $599 and up, IF you can find them.
    I suppose you could take a look at the last couple years and claim that we were just in a huge surplus era. Pin together AR builds for $300 was a daily email throughout 2019. However you look at the present, there’s no denying that things are different than years gone by.
    So let’s call it what it is, demand is outrunning supply. How long it will continue is dependent on real and perceived threats to our 2nd amendment rights and the continued availability of firearms as well as the unrest of a nation. Add to that the sudden realization that many have voiced about law enforcement being unable to protect them, especially in light of recent calls for defunding that protection. The demand for firearms is at an all time high for our lifetime and the industry is not keeping up. Some people call that a shortage. However you see it, whatever you call it, there is way less available at any given time and there’s no denying that.
    Looked at several yesterday,Semi's and just ain't good enough wheel guns...lol

Best bring a 1000.00 dollar bill with you,Nuffin is cheap in Lafayette,Except Academy,They even had lil Ruger 6 guns and the Heritage stuff

bigsk

Iconoclast
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I went by LA Gun and Reloading in BR the other day and they had several of the Unicorns that folks are looking for...Sig P365, P365 XL, Springfield Hellcat, and Glocks......

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    True story about overpriced firearms (and deals to be had) during the pandemic.

A year or two ago I bought a red box Sig P320 at a local gun show. I think I paid $375 for it. I wanted to try the P320 platform and figured that this was my cheapest way in. The gun was in good shape and worked fine for me.

In May of this year, I ended up in the strange situation of having two people "bid" on my P320. I ended up selling it for $850, which seemed absolutely stupid ... but who am I to turn away good money? I hadn't really set out to sell it, and probably would have let it go for half that. But everyone left the table happy and I made a profit of $475, so what the heck.

A month later, I found out about a Sig P320 XFive Legion for sale. Guy had bought it and his wife didn't like it, or some such thing. He needed to sell it to fund another purchase, and I knew that the price point on this gun was a little too high to appeal to pandemic impulse buyers, so I was able to negotiate it down to $900.

So, with my profits from my previous sale, I only had to cough up $425 for a top-of-the-line Gucci Sig. I didn't set out to find one of these ... as always, I just sit low and wait for deals to pop up.

Patience, my friends. Patience is your friend.

Mike

Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    I went to Bass Pro in Denham Springs a few weeks ago and their inventory was very very picked over. They had almost no ammo and their firearm selection was maybe 30% of what it normally is. They usually have a wall full of rifles and shotguns and there were literally 4 or 5 now standing along the wall. The pistol selection was also slim. The Academy in Denham Springs has no ammo at all and the gun selection was down to just a few guns. I also checked with a locally owned gun show and their inventory on both guns and ammo is very low.

I have a friend that was going deer hunting recently and they called 15 stores and none of them had .270 ammo for his rifle. He finally found a friend that had a few bullets to spare. You can probably buy firearms online at an inflated price, but the local stores are very picked over.

Last edited:

991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Prices aside , Jim's in Baton Rouge is fully stocked . I haven't been to Academy in ages .

They are nowhere near “fully stocked”.

They have a lot of CZs and various high end 1911s. Everything else semiautomatic is hit or miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Jim's is where people go to look at a new firearms they are not familiar with then order from their favorite dealer if they decide they want one.
    People that can not wait and have $$$$$$ buy from Jim's.

Or those who know that trigger pulls on some pistols vary considerably and you can try several samples and decide which - if any - you want.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Or those who know that trigger pulls on some pistols vary considerably and you can try several samples and decide which - if any - you want.

I do not dry fire pistols in the store, the trigger can be enhanced if necessary.

991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I do not dry fire pistols in the store, the trigger can be enhanced if necessary.

I *ALWAYS* try the trigger. I don’t want to be chasing things that should need chasing.

Examples... CZ P-07, CZ P-10, FN 509. Their triggers are all over the map. Some are serviceable and others not so much.

I’ll pay one local large store MSRP because they would go get every single P-07 and P-10 for me to observe the targets and try the triggers. I passed in every 509T for over a year until one was to my liking.

Glock triggers are pretty consistent nowadays with the Gen5. My only concern is near centered rear sights and a crisp magazine release.

Oh, and for those who have P-10s, the Cajun Gun Works striker cleans up the trigger pull and break.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

I'm with you on this one. I don't dry fire guns in the store.

I *ALWAYS* try the trigger. I don’t want to be chasing things that should need chasing.

Examples... CZ P-07, CZ P-10, FN 509. Their triggers are all over the map. Some are serviceable and others not so much.

I’ll pay one local large store MSRP because they would go get every single P-07 and P-10 for me to observe the targets and try the triggers. I passed in every 509T for over a year until one was to my liking.

Glock triggers are pretty consistent nowadays with the Gen5. My only concern is near centered rear sights and a crisp magazine release.

Oh, and for those who have P-10s, the Cajun Gun Works striker cleans up the trigger pull and break.

I have to ask...

How well do you shoot that the difference in triggers in the store really makes a difference in performance? I can't imagine one in the store that is slightly better than another being anything remotely as close to some of the aftermarket trigger replacements or modifications that can be done for some pistols. Even with my P-09, that had a less than desirable SA pull, I was able to shoot well enough with the DA pull only.

48169717637_1b07564b95_b.jpg
    48169707607_9e9fe6964a_b.jpg

In all honesty, I would be much more concerned with any QC slips than trigger feel in this current market.

991GT3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm with you on this one. I don't dry fire guns in the store.

I have to ask...

How well do you shoot that the difference in triggers in the store really makes a difference in performance? I can't imagine one in the store that is slightly better than another being anything remotely as close to some of the aftermarket trigger replacements or modifications that can be done for some pistols. Even with my P-09, that had a less than desirable SA pull, I was able to shoot well enough with the DA pull only.

48169717637_1b07564b95_b.jpg
    48169707607_9e9fe6964a_b.jpg

In all honesty, I would be much more concerned with any QC slips than trigger feel in this current market.

It makes enough difference that I pursue it where possible.

I traded a gentleman for a couple of P-07s and a P-09 and one had a beautiful DA pull; the others stacked horribly. I’ve not concerned myself much with the SA pulls as they have all been adequate. Sure, I can hit with them but it requires a helluva lot more focus. Add a shot timer, smaller targets and things are markedly different. The time spent trying to remedy those two pistols was a waste as far as results were concerned unless I wished to spring for a CGW Kit. When I called them they told me that all pistols will not respond very well with their Pro Grade so those two were quickly browned.

They also gave me some guidance on hand selecting them which I do. Everytime I see a P-07 I just have to handle it and if it’s good I bring it home.

As for the P-10C... some of the triggers have a rolling break. Some are are crisp but the sound and feel of the striker being released gives me a feeling that there isn’t a lot of inertia there. The ones I choose are extremely crisp with a very pronounced break (sound and feel). Then I add the CGW striker and any toughness on the draw stroke is gone as they are highly polished.

There is no need to purposely take home a pistol with a poor trigger.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It makes enough difference that I pursue it where possible.

I traded a gentleman for a couple of P-07s and a P-09 and one had a beautiful DA pull; the others stacked horribly. I’ve not concerned myself much with the SA pulls as they have all been adequate. Sure, I can hit with them but it requires a helluva lot more focus. Add a shot timer, smaller targets and things are markedly different. The time spent trying to remedy those two pistols was a waste as far as results were concerned unless I wished to spring for a CGW Kit. When I called them they told me that all pistols will not respond very well with their Pro Grade so those two were quickly browned.

They also gave me some guidance on hand selecting them which I do. Everytime I see a P-07 I just have to handle it and if it’s good I bring it home.

As for the P-10C... some of the triggers have a rolling break. Some are are crisp but the sound and feel of the striker being released gives me a feeling that there isn’t a lot of inertia there. The ones I choose are extremely crisp with a very pronounced break (sound and feel). Then I add the CGW striker and any toughness on the draw stroke is gone as they are highly polished.

There is no need to purposely take home a pistol with a poor trigger.

It's your money and your choice to purchase or not, so I have no problem with it. I just don't see the logic behind it if there isn't actually a quantifiable difference. The SA pull on the P-09 was awful, but my choice was either live with it, sell it, or spend a few hundred on a CGW kit and hope it made it better. I couldn't justify it spending the money, because that's a lot of money to gamble on a potential performance increase. It's possible I just don't care enough about triggers that I can't justify spending time fiddling with every one in stock. If you can, more power to you.

Top Bottom