PSA: Don't forget to check your carry ammo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    YAVAnPd.jpg

Federal HST 147gr.

Chambered/cleared a handful of times over the last couple months for dry fire and range time but nothing excessive or out of the ordinary. Usually rotate the top two rounds and cycle them out every few months.

The one with the setback was the top round in the magazine, maybe from spending a few months jammed up under the stripper rail. Stripper pole? Stripper bar?

In any case (no pun intended) just a reminder to check your carry gear, my friends.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I rotate top to bottom if the same round has been chambered several times but that rarely happens and always check for setback.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    About the main diff on them is type of gun and magazine/ feed ramp angle... other than that they are all prone to this.... some guns are designed to accept a round dropped in the chamber and drop the slide without extractor damage and some arnt which can take 99% if this issue out, but I don’t know if any 1911’s that this is recommended to do in

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    YAVAnPd.jpg

Federal HST 147gr.

Chambered/cleared a handful of times over the last couple months for dry fire and range time but nothing excessive or out of the ordinary. Usually rotate the top two rounds and cycle them out every few months.

The one with the setback was the top round in the magazine, maybe from spending a few months jammed up under the stripper rail. Stripper pole? Stripper bar?

In any case (no pun intended) just a reminder to check your carry gear, my friends.

But yes I rotate and you would be surprised the amount o people who don’t know about this... could have a devastating boom depending on the round and situation if you shoot it

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It this more common in higher grain projectiles? Also does the pistol manufacture make a difference? Thanks for the reminder.

It varies by firearm, not ammunition. Different pistols have different feed ramps and angles coming out of the magazine. Some pistols cause more setback than others.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Another facet of responsible gun ownership. Just like daily wipedown and lube on the hot sweaty days unless you think surface rust is acceptable on your carry weapon. I rotate the ammo to the range box for testing unproven pistols with HP ammo and keep records for future reference.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Another facet of responsible gun ownership. Just like daily wipedown and lube on the hot sweaty days unless you think surface rust is acceptable on your carry weapon. I rotate the ammo to the range box for testing unproven pistols with HP ammo and keep records for future reference.

Maybe I'm just neglectful but I don't unholster my Glock everyday to wipe it down and lube it. What do you conceal carry that it could rust that fast?

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Maybe I'm just neglectful but I don't unholster my Glock everyday to wipe it down and lube it. What do you conceal carry that it could rust that fast?

With you here... I unholster my Glocks and put them in a gunvault by the bed loaded :eek3:.. clean them about every couple months or when I’m board... my 1911’s I whip them down on the outside every time I carry exspecially around the hammer is where most deposits form and clean them after I shoot more than 50 rounds....

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

Glad I’m not the only one. The fuzzies are most common reason I strip and detail but it’s usually after I’ve repeatedly just knocked them off the trigger and slide several times. I have surface rust on my sights but for some reason the gun still goes bang. Sometimes even bang,bang, bang,bang,bang, bang,bang,bang te-tic bang, bang, bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang. Does that seem normal to you guys.

I think if I got some more range time more often the the te-tic wouldn’t take so long.:mamoru:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    With you here... I unholster my Glocks and put them in a gunvault by the bed loaded :eek3:.. clean them about every couple months or when I’m board... my 1911’s I whip them down on the outside every time I carry exspecially around the hammer is where most deposits form and clean them after I shoot more than 50 rounds....

gla5u7dgecudipnz4q6h.png

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

I thought he mentioned a Beretta once upon a time, but that's a hefty gun to carry.

Correction, he mentioned pocket carry and a belly band with the gun under his armpit.

I don't even take mine out of the holster. Every now and then I will wipe it down if it got sweaty in the Summer time, but I don't usually clean them if it's not really dirty.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I’m not surprised that some folks don’t worry with a gun they’ve sweated on. But I don’t find it a chore and I’ve seen blued pistols rust from summer carry and lack of care. Takes less than a minute to spray out the crevasses and such with a little gun sheath (called Barricade now) and wipe it down. Sweat can travel into places in the gun and set up rust you won’t see, so if my pistol takes a salt bath I’m not going to ignore it. I do the same with pretty much any rifle I take out on humid or rainy days. I guess it might seem odd or overkill until it’s not.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I thought he mentioned a Beretta once upon a time, but that's a hefty gun to carry.

Correction, he mentioned pocket carry and a belly band with the gun under his armpit.

I don't even take mine out of the holster. Every now and then I will wipe it down if it got sweaty in the Summer time, but I don't usually clean them if it's not really dirty.

only take mine out the holster to fit in the gun vault by the bed...i still got young kiddos running round the house lol... I 99.9% trust them around them loaded or not they have been tought well... but its that .01% you can never get back, better safe than sorry

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Quick and easy. Been using this for at least 30 years. Kinda surprised at the responses to my statement. I wasn’t calling anybody out for not tending to their guns, but now I know who doesn’t, lol. Good info to remember when guns come up for sale on here.;)

Attachments

• 596AB133-391D-4D7B-A151-8A0C4E9D15AA.jpg
      596AB133-391D-4D7B-A151-8A0C4E9D15AA.jpg
      245.3 KB · Views: 168
    Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    only take mine out the holster to fit in the gun vault by the bed...i still got young kiddos running round the house lol... I 99.9% trust them around them loaded or not they have been tought well... but its that .01% you can never get back, better safe than sorry

Same here, but mine goes holstered into the safe. It's quick to pop out of the holster, but quicker to shove the holstered gun in my pants rather than trying to find a holster. There have been times when I was sleeping during the day and had someone banging on my door. I grabbed the holstered gun out of the safe and shoved it in my pants.

As far as sweat getting into my gun, my holsters have a full sweat guard and it's usually only the polymer frame that gets sweaty. Now if I were carrying a small steel pocket gun under my armpit, I might worry about it, but I don't... so I don't worry about it. I have only sold two guns that I've carried (sparingly) in my lifetime, so I don't worry about resale value. Preventative maintenance is fine, but I'm not spraying my gun with barricade every day.

It's easy to tell if your gun is working or not when you're doing dry fire practice almost daily.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Quick and easy. Been using this for at least 30 years. Kinda surprised at the responses to my statement. I wasn’t calling anybody out for not tending to their guns, but now I know who doesn’t, lol. Good info to remember when guns come up for sale on here.;)

I agree that it could be a concern. But for me and my Glock, I just don't believe it needs to be a daily task, that's all. I think the type of gun makes a difference. I would say the holster also makes a difference. My usual carry is in an OWB holster. And even when I carry IWB, I'm wearing an undershirt so there's always something between my skin and the holster or gun. That's why I asked you what gun you concealed carry.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

^^^ All that from this post? ^^^

My post did not derail this thread.

Save us your rhetoric Dave. You’re reaching ever further these days.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    ^^^ All that from this post? ^^^

My post did not derail this thread.

Save us your rhetoric Dave. You’re reaching ever further these days.

Yes. All that from your post. You said a daily wipedown and lube is a facet of responsible gun ownership and those that do not do that think surface rust on their carry weapon is acceptable. From my experience, my daily carry weapon, a Glock, does not require a daily wipedown and lube to remain surface rust free. Your experience might be different. Perhaps your experience suggests that a daily wipedown and lube of your daily carry weapon is required. Are you not interested in sharing your experience?

Top Bottom