PSA: Don't forget to check your carry ammo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    YAVAnPd.jpg

On an unrelated, thread derailing side note, I have that same ruler. It makes a very good back scratcher.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    ^^^ All that from this post? ^^^

My post did not derail this thread.

Save us your rhetoric Dave. You’re reaching ever further these days.

Yes. All that from your post. You said a daily wipedown and lube is a facet of responsible gun ownership and those that do not do that think surface rust on their carry weapon is acceptable. From my experience, my daily carry weapon, a Glock, does not require a daily wipedown and lube to remain surface rust free. Your experience might be different. Perhaps your experience suggests that a daily wipedown and lube of your daily carry weapon is required. Are you not interested in sharing your experience?

Perez is correct.

Forgotten

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 30, 2016
    Lafayette, LA
    Many years ago I blew up a bushmaster carbon 9mm AR by shooting a compressed 9mm round. It broke at the rear pin and crack completely off. I knew the round was compressed but loaded it anyway then immediately regretted it.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    It this more common in higher grain projectiles? Also does the pistol manufacture make a difference? Thanks for the reminder.

I haven't noticed setback like this before... probably a good indicator I'm not cycling my ammo enough... but I do find that some pistols are easy to seat a full mag whereas others (particularly with new springs) take a good whack to seat. Those are the ones I'd keep my eyes on, as there's a lot of spring tension on that top round jammed up under the slide.

Just like daily wipedown and lube on the hot sweaty days unless you think surface rust is acceptable on your carry weapon.

I'd be lying if I said I wiped mine down every day, I don't get that sweaty, but a ways back I got a tip to keep one of those Hoppe's Rod & Reel silicone rags in the cleaning kit, and I give the gun a good wipe down with that as part of the cleaning process. Nice protectant for the steel, plus it keeps 'em looking sexy. A little wipe inside the holster also helps with some of that slide wear from friction.

On an unrelated, thread derailing side note, I have that same ruler. It makes a very good back scratcher.

If you leave a copy of 50 Shades of Grey out for the wife, the choice between cork and metal sides is a nice option, depending on how far through the book she's made it.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I'd be lying if I said I wiped mine down every day, I don't get that sweaty, but a ways back I got a tip to keep one of those Hoppe's Rod & Reel silicone rags in the cleaning kit, and I give the gun a good wipe down with that as part of the cleaning process. Nice protectant for the steel, plus it keeps 'em looking sexy. A little wipe inside the holster also helps with some of that slide wear from friction.

Thankfully, there are actually a few companies that make little disposable lubricant wipes.

112290.jpg

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I’ve never had this issue luckily but it’s a good reminder to check. I have a question maybe someone can answer. Can this happen to rounds just sitting in a magazine by chance and not being chambered? I have two ammo cans full of loaded magazines I keep stored from the various guns I own. Some containing jhp/hst and most just fmj ready to grab for the range. Maybe I should check them as well? I’d hate to unload and reload every magazine if it’s pointless. Again just to be clear I’m not talking about the magazines I keep with me or with the guns I carry I’m solely talking about loaded magazines that are just sitting stored in an ammo can

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I’ve never had this issue luckily but it’s a good reminder to check. I have a question maybe someone can answer. Can this happen to rounds just sitting in a magazine by chance and not being chambered? I have two ammo cans full of loaded magazines I keep stored from the various guns I own. Some containing jhp/hst and most just fmj ready to grab for the range. Maybe I should check them as well? I’d hate to unload and reload every magazine if it’s pointless. Again just to be clear I’m not talking about the magazines I keep with me or with the guns I carry I’m solely talking about loaded magazines that are just sitting stored in an ammo can

No harm to ammunition in loaded magazines and no harm to magazine springs when they stay loaded.

foz1359

Time Traveler
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Jefferson Parish
    YAVAnPd.jpg

Federal HST 147gr.

Chambered/cleared a handful of times over the last couple months for dry fire and range time but nothing excessive or out of the ordinary. Usually rotate the top two rounds and cycle them out every few months.

The one with the setback was the top round in the magazine, maybe from spending a few months jammed up under the stripper rail. Stripper pole? Stripper bar?

In any case (no pun intended) just a reminder to check your carry gear, my friends.

Thank you kindly for the reminder -actually this is a 1st class education as I did not know about this at all until tonight. I'll be sure to pay closer attention to my ammunition.

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    Every second Sunday of the month, as I lay in bed to sleep, I grab my glock off the night stand, point it to the ceiling, and shoot one round. Then I let out a little giggle. Rotating rounds is just so blah....it's the small things that keep life worth living.

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Another facet of responsible gun ownership. Just like daily wipedown and lube on the hot sweaty days unless you think surface rust is acceptable on your carry weapon. I rotate the ammo to the range box for testing unproven pistols with HP ammo and keep records for future reference.

From what I'm reading you need to step it up Hoss !

You need to up-grade to an Austrian Hi-Point !!!

If a pubic hair can work its way under the screen of an I-Phone inside a waterproof case then anything less than a Tupperware 9mm is crap!

After all you need to do is throw it in the Ol' dishwasher once a month and you're good to go !

Clip's,ammo and all !

Last edited:

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    I have a question maybe someone can answer. Can this happen to rounds just sitting in a magazine by chance and not being chambered?

As long as there's a desiccant packet of some sort in the ammo cans, long-term loaded mag storage perfectly fine. Setback comes from pressure on the bullet that pushes it back into the casing... lots of rechambering that hammers the bullet tip against the feed ramp repeatedly or potentially, as I think I just learned, a long time as a top round in a mag jammed up under the slide.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom