Taurus G3C

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Ok so here we go. As I mentioned earlier I fed it several different types of ammo. I wound up only shooting 500 rounds instead of 600 due to time.

I shot about half of the magazines with one already chambered so about half were 12+ 1 and the other half just a 12rd magazine inserted into an empty gun.

I loaded a few mags with a variety of 115gr fmj, 124gr fmj, 124gr hst + p 115gr steel case fmj, and 147gr flat nose. I emptied some magazines doing rapid fire and others taking my time and really working on my technique. The only malfunction I experienced was ammo related. One round of 115gr monarch steel case fmj. The firing pin struck the primer and the round did not fire. I paused for a second and realized what happened. Utilizing the G3C’s double strike capability I simply pulled the trigger again and the round fired. I’m confident it was definitely an ammo issue and not a lite primer strike after examining the spent case I could clearly see two nice and hard primer strikes on the round.

Pros:
    for a compact pistol I get a full grip on it being a bigger guy at 6ft 1in 240lbs my biggest gripe about most compact guns is the grip is to small. Not the G3C it fits nicely into my hand and my pinkey doesn’t have to wonder without a home.

double strike capability. Not much to say other than it worked. God forbid if I was in a self defense situation it’s a lot easier to just pull the trigger again opposed to racking the slide back again.

surprisingly for being a sub compact 3.2” barrel it seems to be very accurate. I’m not saying I have a terrible shot I believe I have a pretty decent shot and what I’m sure most would consider better than your average shooter. I’m also no John Wick by any means but I was able to consistently hit head shots at 30 yards out. I’ve struggled doing so in the past with a Glock 26 and Glock 43x. It’s not just a Glock thing either because I’m pretty good at 30 yards with my Glock 30s.

Reliability. 500 rounds without a hiccup is a pretty good indicator to me that this is indeed a reliable handgun. Maybe it’s just me who has had this issue in the past but with brand new pistols including Glocks and Sigs something about that first magazine. I’ve experienced malfunctions with failure to eject in a handful of guns on the first magazine fired with guns that turned out to be extremely reliable and go over 1k rounds without another.

Cons

Recoil. It seems to have more than average recoil than other subcompact or compact guns I’ve fired. My Glock 30s chambered in .45acp doesn’t even have as much recoil as I was getting with the G3C. I see Taurus offers steel guidrods on the website and I’ve already ordered one for $25. Also and just because it was available I ordered one for my TX22 as well although I don’t see the need but I figured ah why not.

The dreaded safety. I’m not a fan. Not much to say about it however I will say it’s a lot easier to disengage then engage and it’s in a very convenient spot if for whatever reason I did decide to carry it on safety. Although I don’t use it and don’t plan to use it I still practice unholstering the gun and sliding my thumb down the safety for that just Incase moment it gets accidentally engaged. The holster I used today was just a cheap cloth uncle mikes holster one size fits all type of holster until I can find a better holster for it.

Well before today I had doubts I would ever actually carry this firearm but that has changed after shooting it. If it eats another 500 rounds next weekend without issue I’ll probably throw it into the rotation. It’s truly an enjoyable gun to shoot minus the recoil which in all reality I may be over exaggerating a bit. It’s definitely more than I would like but not so much that I found it affected my accuracy on follow up shots quickly reengaging the target.

Martman300

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 12, 2018
    Gretna, la
    Thanks for the close and personal review. I for one appreciate the time And expense involved.

This review is pretty much inline with most of what I have read.

i do have 2/3 questions when you get the chance.
    1.) how is the trigger? 2 parts, what you would think, pull weight and grittiness mostly, also travel before the break & reset.
    but also how does the shoe and blade safety feel while shooting? I have read it’s wider.

2) what about the laser, any thoughts on this? I’m not really a laser fan, but put one on a Kahr and love it, not so much for Glocks, or anything else.

I do favor the manual safety though, guessing my 1911 experience.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    The trigger on the G2 is very decent in my opinion. I ditched an early Springfield XD and a Ruger LC9 because both had a super long trigger pull that basically bottomed out before it would touch off a round. I don’t find the G2 to be anywhere close to that and the reset is very short. I doubt I would own so many Taurus pistols if not for the price point though. The single stacks I own only cost a few bucks more than a High Point.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Thanks for the close and personal review. I for one appreciate the time And expense involved.

This review is pretty much inline with most of what I have read.

i do have 2/3 questions when you get the chance.
    1.) how is the trigger? 2 parts, what you would think, pull weight and grittiness mostly, also travel before the break & reset.
    but also how does the shoe and blade safety feel while shooting? I have read it’s wider.

2) what about the laser, any thoughts on this? I’m not really a laser fan, but put one on a Kahr and love it, not so much for Glocks, or anything else.

I do favor the manual safety though, guessing my 1911 experience.

The trigger pull is longer than I’d like it to be but it has a nice reset. No grittyness whatsoever. I did not test it but if I had to guess I’d say the trigger pull is somewhere around 4-4.5lbs.

I enjoy having a laser personally and with the Viridian laser it was really easy to adjust the windage and elevation. I had it almost dead on at around 15 yards just eyeing up a target and setting it before I got to the range. I was concerned because I’ve never heard of viridian before buying this firearm. Olight or streamlight are my go to for lasers and lights and after that would be crimson. I’m glad you asked this question because I forgot to say in the original review my one problem with the laser was where the activation buttons are. I have to maneuver my hand over to activate it and that’s something I’m not used to doing with other lasers I own. It wasn’t impossible or really hard to do but I did have to practice unholstering and engaging the laser for a good 15-20 minutes just to kind of get a feel for it.

Im a very harsh critic on firearms. I can find something I don’t like on or multiple things I don’t like on all of them. After reading the reviews and looking into the G3C and G2C I was expecting the G3C to be a decent little gun but I definitely wasn’t expecting it to be as good as it was. If one of the bigger name companies came out with this exact design I could easily see it going for $600 or so. The Canik pistols impressed me so much so that I bought one but the G3C really impressed me. I’m already eyeing getting the full sized G3 which is the exact same price at Academy if I remember correctly. I was just talking to a couple friends about it again today I still can’t get over the fact of how nice of a design and how good of a gun it is for such a reasonable price. My experience with Taurus so far has been A+. Before this month I didn’t own one and never have and now I own two the TX22 and G3C. I know Taurus has had their issues in the past and hasn’t always had a good reputation which is why I didn’t bother with them ever but from my experience it seems they are really serious about putting that in the past and building a solid reputation.

I can’t speak for the customer service yet as I haven’t had to deal with them. I’ve seen mixed reviews online but the one actual person I know who had to deal with them was very impressed. He was having issues with his G2C ejection spent cases. He sent the gun off to Taurus and when they received it they contacted him and asked him if he would like a new G2C or if he would prefer the G3C instead. 3 weeks after sending in his old G2C that had several thousand rounds down the pipe he was holding a brand new G3C.

Martman300

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 12, 2018
    Gretna, la
    I really appreciate all the follow up and attention here. I have been eyeing this up for a while, kind of waiting for them t *give them away* like they were doing with the G2C’s for a while. I don’t see that happening in this climate.

still $329 with a laser, or less, in a 12+ round 9mm that has pretty good reviews, not too bad. I jumped when I saw the TX22 and love that pistol.

I have a friend that has always liked Ruger & Taurus pistols. Like your friend, he had a similar issue. He had to send in his 709, the offered him a G2c in return, looks like they want to do the right thing. From making better guns to good customer service.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I wanted to leave an update on the G3C since now I have about 1,500 rounds through it. I upgraded the guiderod to the stainless steel guiderod that Taurus offers on their website. I have about 700 rounds through the gun since upgrading and I definitely notice a difference in recoil for sure it’s a lot less snappy. The viridian laser has held 0 this whole time I have not had to re adjust it since originally dialing it in. I also ordered one of the 15 round and 17 round magazines for the G3C with grip extensions and they have ran flawlessly. They are made by mec gar so I expected they would be. I still do not have a single malfunction with the g3C after putting countless rounds of different types and grains of ammo through it. I’m a huge fan of this little sucker and now on most days I find myself opting to take it with me as my edc over my other guns I would typically carry. I’ll be keeping my eyes opend for the G3 for sure after my experience with the G3C. This isn’t just a good gun for the money, it’s a good gun period.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    This damn gun just doesn’t disappoint! I enjoy shooting it so much so decided to put a few hundred more rounds down range today. 200 rounds of 115gr federal train and protect and 100 rounds of Speer gold dot LE 124gr +p. As expected at this point it chewed them up and spit them out like no tomorrow. Shooting it with the laser is like using a cheat code on video games lol. Extremely accurate out to 35 yards. I will definitely be buying the full sized G3 whenever I stumble upon it.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    This damn gun just doesn’t disappoint! I enjoy shooting it so much so decided to put a few hundred more rounds down range today. 200 rounds of 115gr federal train and protect and 100 rounds of Speer gold dot LE 124gr +p. As expected at this point it chewed them up and spit them out like no tomorrow. Shooting it with the laser is like using a cheat code on video games lol. Extremely accurate out to 35 yards. I will definitely be buying the full sized G3 whenever I stumble upon it.

Have you benched the gun to see how accurate it actually is?

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Great read and review, thank you! I dunno who you had to rob to be able to shoot 1700 rounds of 9mm a month but I’m jealous.

Did you ever open sesame and see whether it was a plastic or steel striker guide?

Last edited:

Martman300

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 12, 2018
    Gretna, la

I don’t think he needs to.

if you check the reviews online Hickock & The Honest Outlaw are both ringing small sized steel 80 yards away!

80 YARDS! Heck I can barely see that small of a target, yet alone hit it with consistency hand held with a smallish pistol. The Gong maybe, but the Ram! And then the small plates the Outlaw is shooting at 80 yards?

i tried twice to buy one today, was called back both time, out of stock and they just came in today.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Great read and review, thank you! I dunno who you had to rob to be able to shoot 1700 rounds of 9mm a month but I’m jealous.

Did you ever open sesame and see whether it was a plastic or steel striker guide?

Don’t start. Just let the dude enjoy his gun, **** man.

It’s a genuine question. He seems to have kept a log on it.

I don’t think he needs to.

if you check the reviews online Hickock & The Honest Outlaw are both ringing small sized steel 80 yards away!

80 YARDS! Heck I can barely see that small of a target, yet alone hit it with consistency hand held with a smallish pistol. The Gong maybe, but the Ram! And then the small plates the Outlaw is shooting at 80 yards?

i tried twice to buy one today, was called back both time, out of stock and they just came in today.

I shoot my G34 at 100 every now and then on a 10* plate. I’ve shot out to 140 yards on a reduced IPSC.

I was more so expecting to read that he benched the gun at 25 yards and recorded the results. I do this with any new pistol.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Internet post of the week! LMAO!

You own the same pistols. Have you ever benched them for accuracy?

I'm asking a simple question. Southerncanuck already convinced me that one Taurus isn't terrible. Take a minute and breathe. Try to have a civil discussion for once.

I have only found one article that mentions 25 yard accuracy, which is fairly impressive at 2-2.5 inches.

I was impressed by the G3’s accuracy, especially considering the austere sights that are more appropriate for close-range, personal defense shooting than punching targets at 25 yards. The best group of the day measured 2.05 inches for five shots, and four of the 20 groups fired measured under 2.5 inches.

Handguns Magazine Taurus G3 Review

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I think I read the same article.

I also saw a video of a ransom rest at 15 yards, sub 2* groups.

I suppose the OP didn't bench it, but sub 2 at 15 isn't as impressive as a 2" group at 25.

Most striker fired guns will average about 3" +/- at 25 yards. Some worse, some better, obviously.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Answered my own striker guide question on YouTube... looks like it’s still a plastic piece but it’s a new part so no hole in the middle anymore. Good stuff, probably not as critical to replace.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana

yea I’m sorry. It’s the same as the red one In the G2c only difference is this one is yellow and made of polymer. I ordered a steel one online for $25 that I’m waiting on to ship.

as far as the ammo goes I was well prepared going into this year. Unfortunately I don’t just stash the ammo I have, I shoot at least once a week. The way ammo is scarce now I may have to cut back to every other week. My last two attempts to buy from academy were a fail. I was 7th in line and 10th in line the last two times I went and both damn times they sold out of 9mm, .45acp, 5.56, and .40 right before I got my turn to pick. I guess on a positive note I was able to add to my .22lr and 00 buck stash

Last edited:

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I did. With 3 different types of fmj. I will take pictures of the gropings next time I go I’ll bring my bench along. I was surprised at how accurate it is for being a $270-$330 ( if you get the one with the viridian laser) with a 3.2” barrel.

Taurus seems like they are really trying hard to erase their terrible reputation from the past and start producing quality guns. I am absolutely in love with the G3C and TX22. Both of them are just so much fun to shoot. I will say the rear sight on the TX22 is absolutely trash but I ordered some night sights to put on it so that’s no longer an issue for me personally. Mine wasn’t holding windage or elevation and a quick google search told me it’s a common problem. Other than that, flawless.

Top Bottom