Taurus G3C

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    For some reason this gun has been popping up on my suggested videos feed on YouTube. I decided to watch a couple of reviews from guys I follow and no one seems to have anything bad to say about it. I know the G2C was a big hit and after recently buying my first Taurus the TX22 for $330 with a laser I’ve been thinking about buying it just to keep as a backup gun in my vehicle or on my person.

Anyone here have any experience with this gun? Is it worth the $330 or should I just double up and get another Glock.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    I haven't shot the G3C but I've put thousands through a G2C and TX22... G2C was really good for the price but certainly not "refined" feeling by any stretch. The TX22 is far better than it has any business being. As best I can tell the G3C is by a large margin the best pistol Taurus has brought to market so far. The G2C was a helluva good value, but it had some major shortcomings: specifically, a trigger mushier than wet bread, and godawful sights. Those are the two things they fixed on the G3C, and it now takes Glock-style sights so you can customize as you please. I think this is the gun they finally really nailed.

I've seen them pop up in the $245-250 window a lot lately, which seems pretty fair all things considered. Sportsman's in Slidell had them for $249 last week. I don't think I'd get too excited about spending $330 for one, unless you gotta have it now. I don't think it's "worth" $330, particularly since you're going to want to spend on some new sights almost immediately. The prices will come down from the stratosphere eventually, at which point it's gonna be an amazing value... If they ever get down around $225 with a $50 rebate or something like that (a Black Friday type deal) I'm gonna snag one for sure.

Edit: Forgot to mention the comparison with Glock... honestly you can't even really fairly compare a $250 gun to a $500 gun, other than both being guns that go bang, they're worlds apart. If you can afford to get something better quality you probably should. But for a value-category, the Taurus is fantastic.

Last edited:

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    I’m not going to compare it directly to my carry Glocks, but I personally have a G3c and a G2c on hand as they are used as holster test fitting devices . I’ve shot them both. The G3c shoots surprisingly well/smooth and the trigger is also decent for the price range. If that price range is your budget, then the G3c would be a good choice.
    9189b0c84f738de9f42c4ae760c31225.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I haven't shot the G3C but I've put thousands through a G2C and TX22... G2C was really good for the price but certainly not "refined" feeling by any stretch. The TX22 is far better than it has any business being. As best I can tell the G3C is by a large margin the best pistol Taurus has brought to market so far. The G2C was a helluva good value, but it had some major shortcomings: specifically, a trigger mushier than wet bread, and godawful sights. Those are the two things they fixed on the G3C, and it now takes Glock-style sights so you can customize as you please. I think this is the gun they finally really nailed.

I've seen them pop up in the $245-250 window a lot lately, which seems pretty fair all things considered. Sportsman's in Slidell had them for $249 last week. I don't think I'd get too excited about spending $330 for one, unless you gotta have it now. I don't think it's "worth" $330, particularly since you're going to want to spend on some new sights almost immediately. The prices will come down from the stratosphere eventually, at which point it's gonna be an amazing value... If they ever get down around $225 with a $50 rebate or something like that (a Black Friday type deal) I'm gonna snag one for sure.

Edit: Forgot to mention the comparison with Glock... honestly you can't even really fairly compare a $250 gun to a $500 gun, other than both being guns that go bang, they're worlds apart. If you can afford to get something better quality you probably should. But for a value-category, the Taurus is fantastic.

I appreciate your feedback. I’ve been really enjoying the TX22 and was blown away at how good of a gun it really is. Every time I pull the trigger I’m just in awe at how smooth and crisp it is and almost forget I’m shooting a $300 Taurus and a .22 at that.

The package I’m looking at at academy comes equipped with a Viridian red laser which alone is a little over $100 if Someone wanted to buy one. They do sell one without a laser for $270 but I figured for $50 more why not just get the laser with it. I’ve seen enough good things said about it now and have heard enough that I think I’ll give it a go and see what it’s all about. For $300 if it’s half as good as the TX22 I’ll be satisfied

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I’m not going to compare it directly to my carry Glocks, but I personally have a G3c and a G2c on hand as they are used as holster test fitting devices . I’ve shot them both. The G3c shoots surprisingly well/smooth and the trigger is also decent for the price range. If that price range is your budget, then the G3c would be a good choice.
    9189b0c84f738de9f42c4ae760c31225.jpg

Funny you mentioned your Glocks. This seems to be the one *budget gun* that even folks with much better name brand pistols own. I was talking to a guy in academy who was telling me he has over 30 pistols. The cheapest gun he owns was a Glock 43 and he was at Academy to buy the G3C. From what I’m seeing and hearing about this gun it seems to be in a class of its own when it comes to budget guns and not like your typical SD9VE or whatever the Smith & Wesson Value Enhanced gun is called. I could never in a million years see myself buying a pistol like that unless of course it was all I could afford and all that was available. The G3C and G2C seem to be in a class of their own.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Can anyone point me in the direction to getting a holster for this gun? Are they readily available? Specifically one that will fit with a laser/light

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    Can anyone point me in the direction to getting a holster for this gun? Are they readily available? Specifically one that will fit with a laser/light

The addition of a light/laser to the G3c is where your challenge for a holster will be as most holster makers only offer non light/laser bearing holster for the G3c. What mode light/laser is it?

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I would imagine finding a holster might be difficult, but if you go to St. Bernard indoor shooting range with your gun, you can buy the kydex on the wall and they will make you a *custom* holster on site. Zero experience with their product, not sure if they block it off before throwing it in the toaster oven either

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I would imagine finding a holster might be difficult, but if you go to St. Bernard indoor shooting range with your gun, you can buy the kydex on the wall and they will make you a *custom* holster on site. Zero experience with their product, not sure if they block it off before throwing it in the toaster oven either

Please don't do that. That's two sheets of flat kydex that they already have drilled and installed eyelets. Then they heat the entire thing up and should your gun into. That's NOT how holsters should be made.

If you want custom work, speak with Jasarii at SCK Holsters.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I really liked the G2C when I was buying them for less than 200 bucks, but I haven’t tried on a G3. You'll likely get mixed reviews but I don’t think you can go wrong with the one you got. I also have a few of the slim models in 9mm and 40, gen one and 2, that have functioned flawlessly for me.

One fluke I found out about with the G2C: I ordered some extended mags from Gunmagwarehouse last year on the cheap for range time and just so happens, when I remove the plastic sleeve that fills the gap, it becomes a 16 round flush fit mag that runs perfect in my CZ P01 for about half the price. Go figure.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Please don't do that. That's two sheets of flat kydex that they already have drilled and installed eyelets. Then they heat the entire thing up and should your gun into. That's NOT how holsters should be made.

If you want custom work, speak with Jasarii at SCK Holsters.
    I don’t really care to break the bank so to speak on a $300 firearm I’ll likely never carry unless it’s as a backup in my vehicle or to the range. Depending on what St. Bernard is charging that may just work perfectly for me for what I’m looking for. A quick google search and I was surprised to see a ton of companies make holsters for the G2 and 3 line as well as a good bit of aftermarket accessories.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I really liked the G2C when I was buying them for less than 200 bucks, but I haven’t tried on a G3. You'll likely get mixed reviews but I don’t think you can go wrong with the one you got. I also have a few of the slim models in 9mm and 40, gen one and 2, that have functioned flawlessly for me.

One fluke I found out about with the G2C: I ordered some extended mags from Gunmagwarehouse last year on the cheap for range time and just so happens, when I remove the plastic sleeve that fills the gap, it becomes a 16 round flush fit mag that runs perfect in my CZ P01 for about half the price. Go figure.

To my surprise bad reviews on this gun are not as plentiful as I would have thought which is what should armed my interest in it.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I don’t really care to break the bank so to speak on a $300 firearm I’ll likely never carry unless it’s as a backup in my vehicle or to the range. Depending on what St. Bernard is charging that may just work perfectly for me for what I’m looking for. A quick google search and I was surprised to see a ton of companies make holsters for the G2 and 3 line as well as a good bit of aftermarket accessories.

Look up Bullseye holsters and see for yourself. On the scale of holster quality, they are hanging out at the bottom.

southerncanuck

Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans

I wouldn’t. These are really low quality OWB holsters... gun counter guys playing with a toaster oven, nothing within ten miles of craftsmanship. I shoot there every week and am pretty familiar with their stuff. Particularly if you’re going to put a WML on there, the retention likely won’t be what you need it to be.

If you want something super cheap just to protect the gun in your range bag or truck, look at the CYA Supply Co brand. $37 and very nice fitment. Fomi clips are fomi clips, but the molding and retention are very good quality for an entry-level price point. As long as you run it stock there will be plenty of holsters around — it’s the lasers and lights that are gonna dramatically limit the options available without going custom.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Well gentlemen I bought one and I’m going to go to the range today and see if the hype is real or if this gun will be listed in the classified section for a discount lol.

Im going to put 600 rounds through it. 200 rounds of monarch steel cases ammo, 200 rounds of federal 115gr fmj, 75 rounds of Winchester nato 124gr, 50 rounds of Federal 147gr flat nose, and 75 rounds of jhp/ hst a mix of federal hst LE 124gr, federal hst 124gr +p, Speer gold dot LE 124gr + p, hornady critical duty 135gr + p, and some old Remington Golden sabers ( I don’t recall the grains off hand but will post later)

I will report back later on today and let everyone know what my experience was with the gun. So far I have taken the gun out of the box and cleaned it witg balistol like I do with all of my firearms. The G3C was by far the dirtiest gun I have ever bought brand new. I thought Berreta put a lot of oil on guns from the factory but Taurus takes the cake. I think they may have dropped this one in a barrel of oil by mistake lol. I typically don’t clean guns before shooting them like some do but I feel I had no choice with this one. I would never let a gun get as dirty and oily as it was so it wouldn’t have been a fair test so to speak. I even had to clean the magazines literally every thing was coated in oil. I installed the laser and lines it up with the sites on a target at about 15 yards. I’ll keep everyone posted on what I find.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I heard that the Taurus factory has this chick, Carlita I think her name is... anyway, she does the final inspection and oiling of the guns by rubbing them through her folds. I heard that from not really a fan of Taurus pistols. Oddly enough, ever since I just can’t get enough of them.

southerncanuck

Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Congrats on the new gun! I've been super curious about this so maybe if you have a sec you could check... if you pop out the striker guide, does it look like the one on the left or the right?

Factory-versus-Lakeline-G2-Striker-Guide-Resized.jpg

On the G2C they used these crappy plastic striker guides with a hole in the middle of them, part of a leftover design from an earlier model of the PT111 with a locking feature. The result was that you could actually feel the striker riding over that hole during trigger press, which added a nice big gritty "hitch" to the already mushy trigger. Lakeline sells a stainless striker guide for $17 that pops in in about two minutes and smooths the whole thing out big time -- should be a mandatory upgrade -- and I've been curious if they fixed this on the new G3C model.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Well I’m impressed for sure. I’ll leave the final review when I get a chance but to sum it up 600 rounds down the pipe and not a single hiccup. This gun just reminds me of something I learned a good while ago and that is that the price tag on a firearm doesn’t always reflect what the quality will be

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats on the new gun! I've been super curious about this so maybe if you have a sec you could check... if you pop out the striker guide, does it look like the one on the left or the right?

Factory-versus-Lakeline-G2-Striker-Guide-Resized.jpg

On the G2C they used these crappy plastic striker guides with a hole in the middle of them, part of a leftover design from an earlier model of the PT111 with a locking feature. The result was that you could actually feel the striker riding over that hole during trigger press, which added a nice big gritty "hitch" to the already mushy trigger. Lakeline sells a stainless striker guide for $17 that pops in in about two minutes and smooths the whole thing out big time -- should be a mandatory upgrade -- and I've been curious if they fixed this on the new G3C model.
    Thanks man and I’ll gladly let you know when I clean it later tonight

Martman300

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 12, 2018
    Gretna, la
    You got my radar up even more. This gun has been on my radar since it came out. Hickok45 likes it, I tried the G2c qualifying, someone else’s pistol. Somewhat comparable to the 12 round G26, but not really, just a stretch.

With the G3c, I was thinking, they may have it right. I really like the Glock sight option, and I like how you can stick a 17 round mag in here from the G3.

I have liked the ergo’s on this better than the G27 my son has.

I might grab one of these also, like mentioned, after the TX22, maybe Taurus has seen the light.................. I would probably wait until it’s about $250 or so.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    You got my radar up even more. This gun has been on my radar since it came out. Hickok45 likes it, I tried the G2c qualifying, someone else’s pistol. Somewhat comparable to the 12 round G26, but not really, just a stretch.

With the G3c, I was thinking, they may have it right. I really like the Glock sight option, and I like how you can stick a 17 round mag in here from the G3.

I have liked the ergo’s on this better than the G27 my son has.

I might grab one of these also, like mentioned, after the TX22, maybe Taurus has seen the light.................. I would probably wait until it’s about $250 or so.
    You can find the pistol itself without the laser for $250-$275 right now. I believe academy sells it for around $275 but I see sportsman warehouse in Slidell has them listed for $250. They also sell a *flush fitting * 17 round magazine for them now as well which is just a G3 magazine with a grip extension. I ordered two from Tauruses website. In my experience ordering some TX22 magazines from Taurus directly it took exactly 12 days to get to me from the day I placed the order.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom