Polymer 80 Raided by ATF

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Federal agents on Thursday raided one of the nation’s largest manufacturers of ghost-gun parts, a sign that federal law enforcement is cracking down on kits that allow people to make weapons at home.

The raid target, Nevada-based Polymer80, is suspected of illegally manufacturing and distributing firearms, failing to pay taxes, shipping guns across state lines and failing to conduct background investigations, according to an application for a search warrant unsealed Thursday after the raid took place.

The probe focuses on Polymer80’s “Buy Build Shoot Kit,” which includes the parts to build a “ghost” handgun. The kit, which Polymer80 sells online, meets the definition of a firearm, ATF investigators determined according to the warrant application. That means it would have to be stamped with a serial number and couldn’t be sold to consumers who haven’t first passed a background check.

Polymer80 chief executive David Borges didn’t return phone calls or texts seeking comment Thursday evening.

Agents seized records and other evidence in Thursday’s raid in Dayton, close to Carson City, a law-enforcement official with knowledge of the investigation said. No Polymer80 employees were arrested and no charges have been filed.

The raid by agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives comes after ghost guns have been used more frequently in high-profile attacks. In September, two Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department deputies were shot while sitting in their patrol vehicle by a man using a handgun built from Polymer80 parts, according to the documents. Last year, a 16-year-old killed two fellow students and wounded three others at Saugus High School in Southern California with a homemade handgun.

Thursday’s raid is the most significant action against a ghost-gun company to date, according to the law-enforcement officials, and suggests the federal government is scrutinizing the growing industry.

Homemade ghost guns have grown in popularity in recent years and can’t be traced in criminal investigations because they lack serial numbers. Law-enforcement officials say they appeal to people who can’t pass background checks.

When people buy fully made guns from dealers, the weapons have serial numbers and purchasers must go through a background check.

Approximately 10,000 ghost guns were recovered by law e nforcement in 2019, according to the warrant application. As part of the investigation, the ATF identified multiple Polymer80 customers who were prohibited from buying guns because of prior criminal convictions.

The starting point for building a ghost gun is an “unfinished receiver,” a metal or polymer piece that houses the firing mechanism. It can be purchased without a background check, because the ATF doesn’t classify the part as a firearm. Buyers can finish the receiver with a drill press or a computerized metal-cutting machine and then add the remaining pieces to complete the gun.

The ATF previously gave Polymer80 permission to sell unfinished receivers. But the Buy Build Shoot Kits, which are advertised as having “all the necessary components to build a complete...pistol” weren’t submitted to the agency for approval, according to the application for the search warrant. These kits can be “assembled into fully functional firearms in a matter of minutes,” the warrant application says.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ghost-gun-company-raided-by-federal-agents-11607670296

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Once the hero’s of ATF get those kits off the streets, New Orleans crime will plummet! I am so happy to see that ATF’s budget is being spent well.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    What’s funny is in the article they specifically mention people who are not allowed to own guns lol. It’s not like criminals can buy whatever gun they want off the streets or anything this was the only option they had and now America will be so much safer right!!!

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Even though I was never a fan of these kits I hate seeing the ATF chip away at our rights little by little. I’ve always heard they were not really reliable unless you had a bench and the proper equipment to make them.

What’s scary is if you look at the federal laws for manufacturing your own firearm you must do so on a property you own ie if you have a mortgage your technically breaking the law. It also states you must use tools you already own and not buy them specifically to make the firearm. Some of these laws are just flat out stupid and make absolutely no sense whatsoever. I wonder now that they have customers info if they will start knocking on doors? I’m sure the ATF would love to make some good law abiding citizens felons and charge them with something as stupid as they don’t technically own the house they live in because they are still paying on it.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    What’s scary is if you look at the federal laws for manufacturing your own firearm you must do so on a property you own ie if you have a mortgage your technically breaking the law. It also states you must use tools you already own and not buy them specifically to make the firearm. Some of these laws are just flat out stupid and make absolutely no sense whatsoever. I wonder now that they have customers info if they will start knocking on doors? I’m sure the ATF would love to make some good law abiding citizens felons and charge them with something as stupid as they don’t technically own the house they live in because they are still paying on it

What's your source on the law pertaining to owning the property on which the firearm is made and owning the tools it is made with?

Side note: A mortgage only creates a lien on real property. The property is still titled to (owned by) the individual listed on the Cash Sale or Act of Donation. The catch is that he/she cannot sell the property without first having the lien removed.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    What's your source on the law pertaining to owning the property on which the firearm is made and owning the tools it is made with?

Side note: A mortgage only creates a judicial lien on real property. The property is still titled to (owned by) the individual listed on the Cash Sale or Act of Donation. The catch is that he/she cannot sell the property without first having the lien removed.

What are you, some kind of lawyer or somethin'???

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana

Side note: A mortgage only creates a lien on real property. The property is still titled to (owned by) the individual listed on the Cash Sale or Act of Donation. The catch is that he/she cannot sell the property without first having the lien removed.
    Google. I saw it mentioned in a YouTube video and googled it. We all know how a lot of these laws work. They can be determined multiple ways and whoever has the better lawyer will win. Would you really be surprised if the atf did start going after people because of this? Although I obviously wouldn’t agree with it one bit it wouldn’t suprise me one bit either.

Last edited:

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Google. I saw it mentioned in a YouTube video and googled it. We all know how a lot of these laws work. They can be determined multiple ways and whoever has the better lawyer will win. Would you really be surprised if the atf did start going after people because of this? Although I obviously wouldn’t agree with it one bit it wouldn’t suprise me one bit either.

I'd be surprised because I've never heard of any law or opinion that states you have to own the property and tools you make a firearm on/with, and it sounds kind of ridiculous. I'm wrong about stuff all the time, so if you can find the source, please fact check it and share if it checks out. That said, I would hate misinformation to be spread and for law-abiding gun owners to think their rights are limited further than they already are, based on a misleading article or youtube video.

Is it possible this is what you were referring to referring to? https://www.atf.gov/file/11711/download

Held, any person (including any corporation or other legal entity) engaged in the business of performing machining, molding, casting, forging, printing (additive manufacturing) or other manufacturing process to create a firearm frame or receiver, or to make a frame or receiver suitable for use as part of a *weapon ... which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive,* i.e., a *firearm,* must be licensed as a manufacturer under the GCA; identify (mark) any such firearm; and maintain required manufacturer’s records.

Held further, a business (including an association or society) may not avoid the manufacturing license, marking, and recordkeeping requirements of the GCA by allowing persons to perform manufacturing processes on blanks or incomplete firearms (including frames or receivers) using machinery, tools, or equipment under its dominion and control where that business controls access to, and use of, such machinery, tools, or equipment.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Sorry for not putting it together! I hope you are satisficed with the results of both!

A little off topic. You did my trust also. I’m going to need to redo it all once we get the details ironed out. I think I still have your number of it hasn’t changed.

Back the the study of idiocracy.

Top Bottom