BATFE Requesting Forfeiture of Polymer 80 Kits.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Earlier today TFB reported on a story in the Wall Street Journal stating that the ATF had apparently conducted a search warrant at Polymer80 Inc, a company known for producing 80% firearm kits and related parts. These 80% builds, often referred to as “Ghost Guns” by media outlets, presumably because they can be built into firearms without needing to visit an FFL, have long been a topic of debate. This morning, an anonymous TFB reader provided additional information pointing to the ATF visiting end users and requesting the forfeiture of certain Polymer80 kits.

The reader stated that on the afternoon of December 10, 2020, they were visited by the ATF and were requested to surrender any Polymer80 kits. The ATF took custody of the Buy Build Shoot Kit and provided them with a receipt for the property. In the “Basis for Transfer or Seizure of Items” box, the ATF agent wrote “Polymer80, Inc. Investigation”. The email to TFB stated:

They are also going after customers. Had ATF at my house approximately 1pm yesterday telling me I need to surrender my P80 or he would return to raid my house with a warrant. Enclosed is my surrender sheet for proof. If anyone purchased a “Buy, Build, Shoot” kit from them they will probably be hearing from the ATF as well.

ATF Visiting End Users; Requesting Forfeiture Of Polymer80 Kits
    The Polymer80 kit known as the Buy Build Shoot kit comes with all the parts, tools and jigs needed to build a working firearm. Federal law allows for non-prohibited persons to build working firearms for personal use. A serial number is not required unless the individual decides to sell the home-built firearm at a later date. A Federal Firearms License (FFL) is required if an individual builds firearm(s) with the intent of offering them for sale. At that point, other regulations like a firearms transaction record may be required as part of federal law.

The basis for the initial raid at Polymer80 and the forfeiture of Polymer80 kits is still unknown. We’ll keep you updated as the story progresses.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    There is no basis. It’s called, we’re doing whatever the Jack we wanna do because we are a federal alphabet agency and nobody can stop us. Welcome to Janet Reno 2.0 guys and gals. Schlit’s about to get real.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Looks like the same little piff they had over the pistol braces. Somebody didn’t say mother may I and then somebody got their panties in a wad...
    So, just like Q, if they’d have only submitted a sample of each and every product and asked for approval instead of ASSUMING anything on their own...
    Jeezers, weren’t submitted to the agency for approval

Attachments

• 00B6C5CD-63D9-4BA0-B454-FB0F25E6C233.png
      00B6C5CD-63D9-4BA0-B454-FB0F25E6C233.png
      73.7 KB · Views: 237

981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Looks like the same little piff they had over the pistol braces. Somebody didn’t say mother may I and then somebody got their panties in a wad...
    So, just like Q, if they’d have only submitted a sample of each and every product and asked for approval instead of ASSUMING anything on their own...
    Jeezers, weren’t submitted to the agency for approval

well a polymer 80% lower isn’t even a firearm. So why would anyone assume they would need permission from the ATF?

ATF can eat a bag of dicks.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    They got the memo. Likely selling out before they all get outlawed.
    Those aren’t the buy/build/shoot kits. ATF don’t like nobody saving money on a bundle. You gotta buy it all separate like.

I never felt the need to fool with a 80% anything tho, so it really don’t affect me.... just a gimmick like them bumpstocks. Yep, zero irks given here....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Those aren’t the buy/build/shoot kits. ATF don’t like nobody saving money on a bundle. You gotta buy it all separate like.

I never felt the need to fool with a 80% anything tho, so it really don’t affect me.... just a gimmick like them bumpstocks. Yep, zero irks given here....:rolleyes:

Wait...You left out those spiffy pistol bracie thingies

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA

First they came for the Jews
    and I did not speak out
    because I was not a Jew.

Next they came for the...

you know the rest

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    well a polymer 80% lower isn’t even a firearm. So why would anyone assume they would need permission from the ATF?

I think that was the point. Polymer80's were ruled to be more than 80% finished and were therefore firearms. They needed to be transferred by an FFL to the end buyer. I think it's bogus, and the ATF should allow an exception for past sales. OTOH, i can't see ATF tracking down however many thousands of buyers individually in person. I'm guessing they needed an example for the case?

civiltiger07

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 20, 2017
    Brusly
    Just went look up the Buy, Build, Shoot kits and I see that the kits come with the trigger. So the ATF is arguing that the parts included put it over 80% and make it a "firearm"? Well at least the two polymer80 frames I have just came as the frame, I had to buy a trigger separate.

I still think the ATF is overstepping their bounds here.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    So bumpstocks then fostech origin...then side folding firearms with a vert grip/ oal min bullsh!t then...braces then BBS glock kits......THEN WHAT?

80% AR lowers? Finished stripped lowers too? Who knows where this sh!t will go or stop. No good. Buy while you still can if you have any interest.

Wouldn't you rather be that old fart in 10 or 20 or 30 years that could say HEY! I got one of those when someone is talking about a preban gun or item? Rather than the old guy that says OH I shoulda bought a bunch of them things when I coulda!

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    So bumpstocks then fostech origin...then side folding firearms with a vert grip/ oal min bullsh!t then...braces then BBS glock kits......THEN WHAT?

80% AR lowers? Finished stripped lowers too? Who knows where this sh!t will go or stop. No good. Buy while you still can if you have any interest.

Wouldn't you rather be that old fart in 10 or 20 or 30 years that could say HEY! I got one of those when someone is talking about a preban gun or item? Rather than the old guy that says OH I shoulda bought a bunch of them things when I coulda!

You Bruh?

Attachments

• cash.jpg
      cash.jpg
      37.9 KB · Views: 103

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom