Ithaca m51 12 gauge

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Last night I was gifted an old beautiful Ithaca m51 that my father purchased from a local hardware store in 77 (he’s passed away in early 2000s). My uncle who had it said he hadn’t used it much because there was a certain piece that was prone to breaking on it (he isn’t sure what piece, it’s been too long)

After a little google, apparently they don’t like the present hot loads, most people just use them for skeet. Anyone have any info on them? Any insight is appreciated

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    My dad bought a pair of Ithaca shotguns in the 70’s when Steinberg’s was the go to gun store. I have the old deer slayer he bought and I believe he still has the M51. I know that it came with a ribbed barrel and a slug barrel and was advertised as a lightweight or ultralight or something to that effect, much like the high back Franchi I have, but looked more like the Remington 1100. He had to replace the slide action parts after many years due to metal fatigue or maybe just being a little too light. I know he never really had any issues until he started using it as a slug gun. I don’t think anything else ever broke on it and that old gun bagged a lot of game over the years. I used to sneak it out to squirrel hunt with when he wasn’t home to tell me no. Sweet shooter compared to my pump stevens.
    As I remember back in the day, Browning and Remington were the top tier pretty much, then a bunch of copies from Savage stevens built for Sears and western auto etc, and somewhere a little lower on the totem pole was Ithaca. Then the foreign shotguns that you rarely saw.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    My dad bought a pair of Ithaca shotguns in the 70’s when Steinberg’s was the go to gun store. I have the old deer slayer he bought and I believe he still has the M51. I know that it came with a ribbed barrel and a slug barrel and was advertised as a lightweight or ultralight or something to that effect, much like the high back Franchi I have, but looked more like the Remington 1100. He had to replace the slide action parts after many years due to metal fatigue or maybe just being a little too light. I know he never really had any issues until he started using it as a slug gun. I don’t think anything else ever broke on it and that old gun bagged a lot of game over the years. I used to sneak it out to squirrel hunt with when he wasn’t home to tell me no. Sweet shooter compared to my pump stevens.
    As I remember back in the day, Browning and Remington were the top tier pretty much, then a bunch of copies from Savage stevens built for Sears and western auto etc, and somewhere a little lower on the totem pole was Ithaca. Then the foreign shotguns that you rarely saw.

That’s not uncommon from what I’m reading, apparently there’s a couple of places that can weld and repair the actions to make them stronger than factory. Good to know

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Last night I was gifted an old beautiful Ithaca m51 that my father purchased from a local hardware store in 77 (he’s passed away in early 2000s). My uncle who had it said he hadn’t used it much because there was a certain piece that was prone to breaking on it (he isn’t sure what piece, it’s been too long)

After a little google, apparently they don’t like the present hot loads, most people just use them for skeet. Anyone have any info on them? Any insight is appreciated

Isn't that the Tunnel Rat gun? Will it fire if you keep the trigger depressed and just use the slide action?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Isn't that the Tunnel Rat gun? Will it fire if you keep the trigger depressed and just use the slide action?
    negative Motor, it’s a semi-auto.
    Most people assumed my dad’s was a Remmy 1100 when they saw it.
    The old Winchester trench guns are slam fire capable however.

Last edited:

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Just went try it out, shoots the first round fine, ejects and feeds the second, but doesn’t fire. It’ll shoot if I manual cock it, but it’s not *cocking* itself.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Top Bottom