Door Locks, Does anyone install or change out locks ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    The GF wants an electronic lock, one that has a PIN code and or fob, or even fingerprint. I need some advice on which ones to avoid , which ones that work work given we have a separate dead bolt now, double key.. If there is anyone local to new orleans or destrehan that knows this type of work.. PM me.. I might have some work for ya..

Dave

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    We’ve used Schlage Connected Keypads for a couple years now on our office building. I absolutely love them. We have one entry lock and lever, on another door we have the deadbolt. Both work equally well but I like the entry lock level better. I guess they could be users together but we have a different setup on two different doors.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Hey Dave, changing locks is pretty easy. On a 1-10 scale it’s probably a 2. You’d have no problem doing it yourself. Schlage makes really good stuff, I use kwikset 99140 series for deadbolts so I can tie them into home automation systems and don’t ever have issues with them.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I personally wouldn't use anything that is linked to a proprietary ecosystem especially Google products. Google is great while they are interested in something and then when it isn't bright and shiny anymore they will kill it and you are SOL. Not sure about Amazon's Alexa ecosystem but still don't like them listening to everything I say. I would go Z-wave or some open-source and roll my own but that is me. Samsung just killed off their IoT hub system so once you buy into something if they stop supporting it and kill their web services running the apps you will lose the money you have invested in it.

Also, make sure that you can open the door if the batteries run out or you lose Wi-Fi connectivity.

swampgeauxfur

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2020
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Hey Dave, changing locks is pretty easy. On a 1-10 scale it’s probably a 2. You’d have no problem doing it yourself. Schlage makes really good stuff, I use kwikset 99140 series for deadbolts so I can tie them into home automation systems and don’t ever have issues with them.
    Big fan of Kwikset locks. Ain't never used the ones with home automation though. Is that like Alexa and smart home stuff?

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    192   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Schlage Electronic ones work ok. I got one from Home Depot. Powered by 4 aa batteries. A set lasts 8-10 months.
    Touch pad outside and can work with the SmartThings app so you can lock and unlock the door from your phone or tablet.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Thanks for input and thoughts on this.
    also good points about being stuck in a particular ecosystem of connected.
    I do not want alexa or google in the house listening, this was a compromise to anything connected.. I have a pretty sophisticated firewall appliance and air gap everything I possibly can, the thought of doors being connected just goes against my thoughts on it..

I will look at he suggestions. thanks again..

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I did some looking at thermostats recently and turns out that Smart Things uses Zigbee and Z-wave which connect to homebrew systems like Home Assistant and HomeHab along with others so you don't have to worry about someone stopping their servers. You can put it on a Raspberry Pi in your house and control it from there. Just food for thought.

Top Bottom