Join BayouShooter For Free
Meplat

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    La. CHP Instructor #409

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Unhappy Vehicles Burglarized in Livingston Parish Pistols Stolen.

LIVINGSTON PARISH (WAFB) - The Livingston Parish Sheriff’s Office (LPSO) has confirmed that at least three vehicles have been burglarized on Monday, Dec. 28.

“It makes you feel kind of violated, someone going through your personal belongings,” said one woman who did not want her name made public.

Surveillance video of thieves pulling on door handles and rummaging through cars in the Audubon Village subdivision on the outskirts of Denham Springs.

“Firearms missing, change missing, just everything strung through, dug through, looked through, everyone down our street,” said the woman whose car was broken into.

Thieves struck around 10 cars in the area, all of them were unlocked. But the burglars were apparently looking for certain things.

“I ran out first to make sure that my MacBook was here, and I was like yay. And my husband was like no!! The guns, they’re gone,” said the woman.

Her family had two pistols stolen and a little bit of cash.

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

I have zero sympathy for people who leave firearms and valuables in their vehicle.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    I have zero sympathy for people who leave firearms and valuables in their vehicle.
    Its marginally harder at best to break into a house instead of a car. How do you feel about people’s homes being broke into and having guns stolen. What if they were stolen from a $300 safe in the home. How many layers of ‘this is mines don’t touch it’ does a guy need before it’s not ok for someone to steal his property?

Don't get me wrong something in plain view in an unlocked vehicle is not a very smart plan if you want keep your property, but where do you draw the line?

Marksman

User Info Menu

This has not happened in the 7 years I have lived on my block in Mid-City, but I will never leave anything of value in my car.

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bangswitch View Post
    Its marginally harder at best to break into a house instead of a car. How do you feel about people’s homes being broke into and having guns stolen. What if they were stolen from a $300 safe in the home. How many layers of ‘this is mines don’t touch it’ does a guy need before it’s not ok for someone to steal his property?

Don't get me wrong something in plain view in an unlocked vehicle is not a very smart plan if you want keep your property, but where do you draw the line?
    Leaving firearms and valuables in vehicles is not only irresponsible, but often done out of ignorance.

Redundancy is the only way to stop a determined burglar. Add as many levels as you can to deter them or make them give up.

Vehicles often have alarm systems, but they are not monitored the way home systems are.
    Vehicles might have video recording equipment, but they are not operated in the same way home systems are.
    Vehicles might also have a safe inside, but they are not as secure as a safe inside the home can be.

I never said anything about it being okay to steal. I said I have zero sympathy for people who leave firearms and valuables in their vehicle.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Leaving firearms and valuables in vehicles is not only irresponsible, but often done out of ignorance.

Redundancy is the only way to stop a determined burglar. Add as many levels as you can to deter them or make them give up.

Vehicles often have alarm systems, but they are not monitored the way home systems are.
    Vehicles might have video recording equipment, but they are not operated in the same way home systems are.
    Vehicles might also have a safe inside, but they are not as secure as a safe inside the home can be.

I never said anything about it being okay to steal. I said I have zero sympathy for people who leave firearms and valuables in their vehicle.
    Ok so at what point would I get your sympathy? How many redundancies? I’ve never attempted to burglarize a home but I would bet I could get in and out of 95% of the homes of people on here, steal plenty of valuables (likely guns) and be gone long before someone shows up to stop me. Affordable security is an illusion.

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bangswitch View Post
    Ok so at what point would I get your sympathy? How many redundancies? I’ve never attempted to burglarize a home but I would bet I could get in and out of 95% of the homes of people on here, steal plenty of valuables (likely guns) and be gone long before someone shows up to stop me. Affordable security is an illusion.
    When you have made precautionary security measures to minimize the possibility of theft. Not leaving firearms and valuables in your vehicle is a good start.

You cannot prevent a criminal that is determined enough to do whatever they must to achieve whatever their goal is, but you can deter most criminals that are only interested in a smash and grab on easy targets. Your vehicle is an easy target.

Or you can just put a sign in your yard that says "This is my stuff, go away." I'm sure that will work.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I get firearms shouldn’t be left in a vehicle without some other means of locking it. Now my iPad on the other hand has been left in the vehicle a few times and if someone smashed my window I wouldn’t feel ignorant for having my stuff stolen. A firearm is a bigger responsibility than a computer so I’m not going to in group them in the same category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Censored by "them"

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

I'ms just'a look'n for a beater truck gun,Sum'tin ah can throw behid da seat ar in ma'h tool box.....
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.

Marksman

User Info Menu

When you have made precautionary security measures to minimize the possibility of theft. Not leaving firearms and valuables in your vehicle is a good start.

You cannot prevent a criminal that is determined enough to do whatever they must to achieve whatever their goal is, but you can deter most criminals that are only interested in a smash and grab on easy targets. Your vehicle is an easy target.

Or you can just put a sign in your yard that says "This is my stuff, go away." I'm sure that will work.

Now keep in mind I’m not advocating for this but behind tented windows and locked doors would be logically precautionary measures compared to the the back glass iof an unlocked truck with the windows down.

It’s worth mentioning again one can smash and grab a home pretty quickly. Seconds even.

part of my obligation to you statement is a potentially a logical fallacy on my part. I equate zero sympathy with ‘they deserved it’. The two are synonymous in my mind. And if they deserved it the thief was simply an instrument of fate. Similar to a lion eating a gazelle. The lion did no wrong. Right?

Conversely if you do think they deserved it how could you blame the thief?