Deer hunting glass for a Remington 700

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hey guys,

I stumbled into a Remington 700 in .243 for next to nothing. Gun is fairly modern and is drilled and tapped for a scope mount, but there's nothing on it right now.

So ... I'm looking to kit this out as a deer rifle. Thinking about the Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8x36mm scope, but I'm curious to hear what y'all are running on similar rigs. I'm not hung up on Leupold, but buying American-made is important to me.

Mike

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I’m sure happy with vortex scopes in that price range and still love the upper tier Nikons. I’ve got a Vari X II and my old eyes don’t favor it over the other 2. I don’t think you’d be sorry with any of those brands but I’d lean toward either the better price tag or lifetime warranty at Vortex. Good luck.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    here is another vote for Vortex scopes. On my son's Tikka .243 we mounted a Vortex Diamondback 3.5-10x50, he knocked down his first two deer this year, A 6 point at 150-yards and a 5 point at 100-yards. I've used Zeiss Davari scopes on most of the rifles I use so I've used the higher priced scopes for comparison and this $300 Vortex does not disappoint! Take a look at it.

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Nikon glass is real good, would recommend min of 40mm up to 50mm for low light for dawn and dusk. max of 8-12x is good for magnification.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I have the VX3i 1.5-5x on a CZ 9.3 Mauser and really like it, but I do love my Vortex PST and HST. Probably gravitating to the large objective Vortex's because my eyes are getting old. I'm happy with either until the day someone gives me a Zeiss or Schmidt & Bender for Christmas.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Ive got all three brands vortex, leupold and nikon. I prefer the leupold. I have a vx3lr and vx3i both in 50mm and rhey are great hunting scopes. My oldest daughters rifle has a 50mm vortex either diamondback or crossfire dont recall which but it is pretty decent for the price but not the same quality of scope as the higher priced leupolds. My youngest has a nikon on hers and its probably my least favorite. I will eventually seap it out likely for a vortex. I will continue to put leupolds on mine hard to beat the quality for the price for hunting rifles.

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    I swapped my scope off of my rifle for a Leupold VX3 and put my VxII 3x9x40 on my daughter’s Remington 700 243. I think you need at least the 2.5x10x44 or 50 if you think you going shot past 150 yards.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    VX-3 should be just fine, but what are the minimum, maximum, and average distances that you would be shooting at. Also, does weight play any factor? Are you trekking far or do you walk 100 yards from a truck/atv to a stand?

For hunting deer, I like to get something with a 30mm tube and a bigger bell unless weight will be a concern.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Diamondbacks are made in Philippines -- if you’re apprehensive about Vortex scopes being made overseas, simply do your research and choose a model that other users have vouched for. The best part is that Vortex offers a lifetime warranty for all their riflescopes. This lifetime warranty goes to show that Vortex is a reputable optics company that believes in the quality of their products and stand by what they put their name on.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    One thing of note the less expensive vortex scopes are rather large. My 4.5-14x50 leupolds are way more compact than the 4-14x50 vortex. There are some articles out there that explain why the less expensive scopes are larger to accomplish the same magnification.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Call Sport Optics in Hammond, LA. They are one of the largest optics dealers in the country.

They can direct you to the right optic for the task.

johnpaul

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2016
    metairie,la
    remington 700

Hey guys,

I stumbled into a Remington 700 in .243 for next to nothing. Gun is fairly modern and is drilled and tapped for a scope mount, but there's nothing on it right now.

So ... I'm looking to kit this out as a deer rifle. Thinking about the Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8x36mm scope, but I'm curious to hear what y'all are running on similar rigs. I'm not hung up on Leupold, but buying American-made is important to me.

Mike
    I have a 700 in .308 and I got a great deal on a leupold vxII 3x9x50 and i have no complaints except plastic trigger guard broke and replaced with metal..no biggie. I like the bigger objective.Leupold has a great warranty

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    Stick with a 44 or 50 mm objective. The 36 will be useless at dawn and dusk, I would think at that young age 3 x 10 would be plenty of magnification but that also depends on what kind of distances she will be shooting. There is nothing more frustrating than having a good deer out that you cannot see well in your scope. Ziess was my go to but lately there newer stuff has been a little off IMO, Nikon has gotten out of the scope business so stay away from used ones. Vortex and Leupold are good scopes for the money.

Top Bottom