Reliable Modern 9mm Striker Fired Pistols

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Due to the current pandemic panic buying, I've been asked often by friends and family about what they should buy. Considering there are thousands of firearms in existence, it's tough to narrow down something specific without knowing their needs. When speaking with new shooters, recommending them a simple pistol to own, what are the common options that can be found?

For the sake of keeping this simplified, limit the discussion to 9mm only striker fired pistols only.

Thus far, I can think of the following.

• Glock
      43, 43X, 48, 26, 19, 17, 19X, 45, & 34
    • Sig Sauer
      P320, P365, & P365XL
    • Smith & Wesson
      M&P M2.0, M2.0 Compact, M2.0 Subcompact, Shield, Shield EZ
    • Beretta
      APX & APX Carry
    • CZ USA
      P10 C, P10 F, & P10 S
    • Heckler & Koch
      VP9 & VP9SK
    • Walther
      PPQ, PPS, Q4, & Q5
    • FN America
      509, 509 Midsize, 509 Tactical

Last edited:

hkump

Rating - 100%
    314   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Covington, LA
    Due to the current pandemic panic buying, I've been asked often by friends and family about what they should buy. Considering there are thousands of firearms in existence, it's tough to narrow down something specific without knowing their needs. When speaking with new shooters, recommending them a simple pistol to own, what are the common options that can be found?

For the sake of keeping this simplified, limit the discussion to 9mm only striker fired pistols only.

Thus far, I can think of the following.

• Glock
      43, 43X, 48, 26, 19, 17, 34
    • Sig Sauer
      P320, P365, & P365XL
    • Smith & Wesson
      M&P M2.0, M2.0 Compact, M2.0 Subcompact, Shield, Shield EZ
    • Beretta
      APX & APX Carry
    • CZ USA
      P10 C, P10 F, & P10 S
    • Heckler & Koch
      VP9 & VP9SK

For Conceal Carry that shoots like a full size and has optics ready slide, I'd recommend these:
    Glock 43x MOS
    Glock 48 MOS
    Sig Sauer P365XL Optic Ready
    -Pros
    -Holds up to 15 rounds
    -Thin and can be carried without printing
    -Recoil is very manageable
    -Cons
    -Might be too small for someone with bigger hands

Cheaper to own, but still super reliable:
    Beretta APX/APX Centurion
    -Pros
    -Can be bought for less than $400 at most retail places
    -Holds 15/16 rounds of 9mm
    -Easy to shoot
    -Good grip, can be changes so it can be shot by many hand sizes
    -Mags are reasonably priced
    -Cons
    -Not too much 3rd party support

Smallest Conceal Carry, mag size doesn't matter:
    Smith & Wesson Shield
    Beretta APX Carry
    Sig Sauer P365
    Glock 43
    -Pros
    -Very tiny
    -Easily concealable
    -Reasonably priced
    -Cons
    -Low rounds in magazines
    -Recoil???? Depends on user

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I know it's not every's favorite. But the springfield XD/XDM are reliable pistols. Just top heavy....

I don't personally recommend them due to my experiences with them. Admittedly, I have not handled any of the newest pistols, such as the XDM Elite and the Hellcat.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I don't personally recommend them due to my experiences with them. Admittedly, I have not handled any of the newest pistols, such as the XDM Elite and the Hellcat.

One of my earliest guns was an XD9sc and I've literally never had a malfunction in that gun. And its rare you read of one. The new ones are just the old ones with "GRIP ZONE" marketing. The XDm's where just an evolution of the Xd. But overall I think reviews will show they are reliable. My biggest gripe after going glock was how heavy the slide was compared to glock's. Definitely felt it when carrying. And for "new" shooters, the grip safety is a "selling point" for people scared of a gun "without a safety". Yes I know better now, but I totally see their market. Reliable pistol, sub glock pricing.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    One of my earliest guns was an XD9sc and I've literally never had a malfunction in that gun. And its rare you read of one. The new ones are just the old ones with "GRIP ZONE" marketing. The XDm's where just an evolution of the Xd. But overall I think reviews will show they are reliable. My biggest gripe after going glock was how heavy the slide was compared to glock's. Definitely felt it when carrying. And for "new" shooters, the grip safety is a "selling point" for people scared of a gun "without a safety". Yes I know better now, but I totally see their market. Reliable pistol, sub glock pricing.

I try not to rely on superficial selling points to recommend a pistol. The grip safety itself is the main concern for most individuals in regards to the XD platform. Although I have never experienced it myself, I have listened to multiple established shooters indicate that hand size and index are factors in the reliable deactivation of the grip safety. For shooters actually concerned about having a proper manual safety, some of the pistols mentioned have options with a mechanical thumb safety.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    My VP9 LE was a great value.
    3 mags and great sights as well as a good trigger out the box

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    What the Vp9 did for me was trigger and grip angle and being able to swap grip secetions we a plus.
    The 575 price with the 3 mags and great sights sold me on it. Swapped a panel and had good fit.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I don’t think anyone said that.

Reliable is fluid term. One failure every 500 rounds many years ago was considered reliable. Modern reliability standards are more like one round every 10,000 rounds.

I couldn’t tell you all the model and makes of handguns that use a striker system off the top of my head. So it’s hard to yes or no if they’re all universally reliable. But if you stick in the $400 to $600 I’d be willing to say they’ll all be pretty darn reliable, if properly maintained with quality ammunition and magazines.

For example GLOCKs are pretty darned reliable but not with cheap South Korean magazines.

Shoot several makes and models if you can find and learn which one is best for you is my advice. For example I don’t shoot GLOCKs very well. That’s not a reflection on the reliability or on the handgun. I just don’t shoot them as accurately as I do other designs. So I use designs that I do shoot well. My preferred handgun isn’t better, just better for me.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    So all striker fired guns are reliable?
    Basically all of the modern ones yes. Obviously some a lot more and some a lot less but in today’s day and age yes a modern striker fired 9mm 9 X out of 10 is going to be reliable.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I don’t think anyone said that.

Reliable is fluid term. One failure every 500 rounds many years ago was considered reliable. Modern reliability standards are more like one round every 10,000 rounds.

I couldn’t tell you all the model and makes of handguns that use a striker system off the top of my head. So it’s hard to yes or no if they’re all universally reliable. But if you stick in the $400 to $600 I’d be willing to say they’ll all be pretty darn reliable, if properly maintained with quality ammunition and magazines.

For example GLOCKs are pretty darned reliable but not with cheap South Korean magazines.

Shoot several makes and models if you can find and learn which one is best for you is my advice. For example I don’t shoot GLOCKs very well. That’s not a reflection on the reliability or on the handgun. I just don’t shoot them as accurately as I do other designs. So I use designs that I do shoot well. My preferred handgun isn’t better, just better for me.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bingo! Exactly. The whole reliability thing often gets blown out of proportion. Of course they will always have exceptions to any rule but the vast majority I would say even from $300-$600 will be reliable guns. If all else fails go with a Glock when choosing.

Jlong1691

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2020
    Denham Springs
    I think you have to shoot a gun to know if it is reliable. Since I have been shooting, and doing classes especially. I have seen just how much bad form can effect firearm reliability. Especially pocket, and micro pistols. All types of guns from all manufacture's. It has been my experience that ammo, and the shooter have as much to do with reliability as the actual firearm. It has also been my experience that most firearms built by reputable manufacturer's will function to a satisfactory level. I would however limit my budget choices to SCCY, Taurus, or Hi-Point, Accuracy also suffers greatly with these choices, based on my experience, your mileage may vary. I get great accuracy out of my Diamondback's on the budget side, but have had more reliability issues with them than anything else. I love the ergonomics of them though, so I am a gluten for punishment.

Last edited:

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I think you have to shoot a gun to know if it is reliable. Since I have been shooting, and doing classes especially. I have seen just how much bad form can effect firearm reliability. Especially pocket, and micro pistols. All types of guns from all manufacture's. It has been my experience that ammo, and the shooter have as much to do with reliability as the actual firearm. It has also been my experience that most firearms built by reputable manufacturer's will function to a satisfactory level. I would however limit my budget choices to SCCY, Taurus, or Hi-Point, Accuracy also suffers greatly with these choices, based on my experience, your mileage may vary. I get great accuracy out of my Diamondback's on the budget side, but have had more reliability issues with them than anything else. I love the ergonomics of them though, so I am a gluten for punishment.
    I don’t own many budget guns or any rather with the exception of a G3C and that sucker is dead on accurate.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom