I need help selecting a revolver

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

dwsonar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Lockport
    Good morning.
    I'm looking for help selecting a revolver for my wife. She has limited finger and hand strength, and the semi=autos are too hard for her to operate the slide.
    I see many with about a 2 inch barrel. I know that will affect accuracy, but how much? It's going to be self defense/carry use, so I would expect any problems to be up close.
    The Judge? I've wanted one but never fired one. How is the recoil? Think she could handle it?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

dwsonar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Lockport
    Got any place around Lockport to rent a few before you spend any real coin?

The Judge is a boomer,Loud as Hades with 410 shells btw.

No places close that I know of. Probably NOLA or BR would be closest, but that's a good idea.
    Loud can be good sometimes. I'm just thinking the 410 doesn't have to be as accurate.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Good morning.
    I'm looking for help selecting a revolver for my wife. She has limited finger and hand strength, and the semi=autos are too hard for her to operate the slide.
    I see many with about a 2 inch barrel. I know that will affect accuracy, but how much? It's going to be self defense/carry use, so I would expect any problems to be up close.
    The Judge? I've wanted one but never fired one. How is the recoil? Think she could handle it?

Your heart seems to be in the right place, but I hope you don't mind me redirecting you somewhat.

I've been going to shooting ranges on a weekly basis for almost two decades now. Almost every time I go, I see a husband earnestly trying to teach his wife how to shoot, usually with some small revolver or pocket pistol that they just bought for her. It almost never goes well, and the reason is pretty straightforward: most husbands aren't trained firearms instructors and have no idea how to teach proper shooting technique, and most of them chose the worst possible firearm for a novice student to start with. And again: this is all done with the best of intentions, but that doesn't mean that it will go well.

I always recommend that a wife sign up for a day of instruction with a professional trainer—preferably someone that can provide a few different weapons for her to try. And, most importantly, someone that she's not related to. This should happen before the conversation of what gun to buy is even broached. There's a few reasons for this:

* Being a good teacher requires two things: mastery of the skill being taught, and the very separate talent of knowing how to teach. I could regale you with horror stories of husbands teaching, saying, and doing stupid things at the range, but suffice to say that the job of teaching good marksmanship is better left to a paid professional. The emotional baggage of trying to learn from a loved one isn't worth it, and it will get in the way of her learning good technique.

* The point you made about her not being able to rack a semi-automatic slide is probably wrong. Proper technique is to use the "over the top" method, where three or four fingers and the palm of one's hand are used to "cradle" the top of the slide, instead of "pinching" the back of the slide with the index finger and thumb. I've shown a lot of women how to do this over the years, and I can count on one hand the number of women who couldn't rack the slide on my Government sized 1911 after being shown the correct hand posture.

* Snub-nosed revolvers are always an option for concealed carry and self-defense, but it's harder to manage the recoil with them. And my experience is that women struggle more with the weight of a double-action trigger—often 12 to 15 pounds—than they do with having to manipulate a slide. Most revolvers can be cocked for single action firing, but that comes with its own training and technique challenges.

* All other things equal, a snub-nosed revolver will be less accurate than the same gun with a longer barrel. But that marginal difference in accuracy is usually going to be overshadowed by the inexperience of the shooter.

* Guns like the Taurus Judge and the Smith & Wesson Governor (revolvers that chamber .410 shotgun shells) are also an option, but the recoil on them is pretty stout. And there's still the training challenge of single versus double action.

* Lastly, and most importantly: choosing a gun for someone else is like trying on a pair of jeans for someone else. Professional training will go a long way towards giving her the knowledge and confidence to choose her own firearm.

Most people overlook training because it's easier and more fun to shop for stuff at the local gun store. And it's easy to get lulled into something like the Taurus Judge because "aim is optional" with that sort of mini-shotgun. But please—for your wife's sake—encourage her to sign up for a class with a competent instructor, and let that training guide her decision about which firearm to purchase. Not only will she be a better and safer gun owner, but it'll help you maintain marital bliss and minimize the friction.

Mike

Last edited:

dwsonar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Lockport
    Your heart seems to be in the right place, but I hope you don't mind me redirecting you somewhat.

I've been going to shooting ranges on a weekly basis for almost two decades now. Almost every time I go, I see a husband earnestly trying to teach his wife how to shoot, usually with some small revolver or pocket pistol that they just bought for her. It almost never goes well, and the reason is pretty straightforward: most husbands aren't trained firearms instructors and have no idea how to teach proper shooting technique, and most of them chose the worst possible firearm for a novice student to start with. And again: this is all done with the best of intentions, but that doesn't mean that it will go well.

I always recommend that a wife sign up for a day of instruction with a professional trainer—preferably someone that can provide a few different weapons for her to try. And, most importantly, someone that she's not related to. This should happen before the conversation of what gun to buy is even broached. There's a few reasons for this:

* Being a good teacher requires two things: mastery of the skill being taught, and the very separate talent of knowing how to teach. I could regale you with horror stories of husbands teaching, saying, and doing stupid things at the range, but suffice to say that the job of teaching good marksmanship is better left to a paid professional. The emotional baggage of trying to learn from a loved one isn't worth it, and it will get in the way of her learning good technique.

* The point you made about her not being able to rack a semi-automatic slide is probably wrong. Proper technique is to use the "over the top" method, where three or four fingers and the palm of one's hand are used to "cradle" the top of the slide, instead of "pinching" the back of the slide with the index finger and thumb. I've shown a lot of women how to do this over the years, and I can count on one hand the number of women who couldn't rack the slide on my Government sized 1911 after being shown the correct hand posture.

* Snub-nosed revolvers are always an option for concealed carry and self-defense, but it's harder to manage the recoil with them. And my experience is that women struggle more with the weight of a double-action trigger—often 12 to 15 pounds—than they do with having to manipulate a slide. Most revolvers can be cocked for single action firing, but that comes with its own training and technique challenges.

* All other things equal, a snub-nosed revolver will be less accurate than the same gun with a longer barrel. But that marginal difference in accuracy is usually going to be overshadowed by the inexperience of the shooter.

* Guns like the Taurus Judge and the Smith & Wesson Governor (revolvers that chamber .410 shotgun shells) are also an option, but the recoil on them is pretty stout. And there's still the training challenge of single versus double action.

* Lastly, and most importantly: choosing a gun for someone else is like trying on a pair of jeans for someone else. Professional training will go a long way towards giving her the knowledge and confidence to choose her own firearm.

Most people overlook training because it's easier and more fun to shop for stuff at the local gun store. And it's easy to get lulled into something like the Taurus Judge because "aim is optional" with that sort of mini-shotgun. But please—for your wife's sake—encourage her to sign up for a class with a competent instructor, and let that training guide her decision about which firearm to purchase. Not only will she be a better and safer gun owner, but it'll help you maintain marital bliss and minimize the friction.

Mike

Sounds like a lot of good advice. I'll have to look into training(for her and me).
    As far as the Judge, I was worried it would have too much recoil, that's why I asked. That doesn't sound like a good option.
    Would you have any suggestions on who to contact for training? Houma/Thibadeux area?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Sounds like a lot of good advice. I'll have to look into training(for her and me).
    As far as the Judge, I was worried it would have too much recoil, that's why I asked. That doesn't sound like a good option.
    Would you have any suggestions on who to contact for training? Houma/Thibadeux area?

Try Mike Pizzolatto in Houma 985-859-7070.
    Mike Pizz @ AOL.com.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    The Judge is a HUGE revolver. Probably not something a first time shooter or woman with small hands would want to tackle. Even a 38spl in a snub nosed revolver has a lot of subjective recoil and what was said about the 12-15lb double action pull.

Last edited:

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    In my experience,

A larger, hand filling, gun with light recoil is preferred over compact carry guns. Like mentioned previously a person can be taught how to rack a slide on most guns with proper technique.

For example, my significant other has long skinny fingers with nails that extend past the tip of the fingers. This makes shooting guns like a keltec p32, glock 42, or even gen 4 g19/23 (without backstraps) uncomfortable for her.

bigsk

Iconoclast
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    An alternative to the 38spl revolver is the 327 Federal Magnum ones. S&W, Ruger, Charter Arms and Taurus make them. Lighter recoil, 6 rounds, and can shoot 32 S&W, 32 S&W Long, 32 H&R Mag. 3" bbl is what my sister likes for hers. S&W 632, Ruger SP101, Ruger LCR, Charter Arms Patriot. Some are out of production but can be found at a decent price. The 32 Fed is loud. Ammo is pricier when compared to the 357 Mag.

You could also look for a revolver in 9mm. Same group of manufacturers.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    With the limited hand and finger strength, I'd stay with real steel revolvers to help with the felt recoil. Although easy to carry, ultralight guns can be painful to shoot unless you have a really firm grip. Try different grips (square butt/round butt), and barrel lengths. A S&W model 10 with a 2" or 4" barrel might be a pleasant shooter. My 91 y.o. mother with arthritis in her hands can shoot a pre-model 10 with a 6" barrel and round butt.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Good morning.

The Ruger LCR chambered for 327 Fed Mag is a fantastic choice for someone with any limiting hand strength issues. The trigger is smoother than a S&W. It holds 6 rounds. Its light weight. Recoil can be moderated/tailored for the end user based on one of the 5 different calibers this gun is capable of firing(most powerful to least):
    1) 327 Fed Mag
    2) 32 H&R Mag
    3) 32 S&W Long
    4) 32 S&W Short
    5) 32 ACP

Another benefit of being cross caliber compatible is that you increase your chances of being able to find ammo when ammo is difficult to find.

There are also many upgrades and accessories for this revolver such as holsters, sights, lights, and lasers to customize for your needs. Ruger hit a home run with this one for a niche audience.

Check out this detailed article for additional good info:

https://www.shootingillustrated.com...s-to-use-327-federal-magnum-for-self-defense/

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

I don't have any advice about trainers in that area ... I'm in Baton Rouge. But I'm sure some of the others here will.

Good luck!

Mike

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

Ditch the idea of a revolver completely.

You want to be looking into the Smith & Wesson Shield EZ .380 & 9mm. Both are designed for individuals with limited strength.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The Ruger LCR chambered for 327 Fed Mag is a fantastic choice for someone with any limiting hand strength issues.

Have you actually shot that pistol with defensive loads? It's a horrible choice for someone with limited hand strength.

Shooting Speer 100 gr Gold Dot & Double Tap 120 gr Hard Cast was not very pleasant. .327 Federal in any small frame revolver is one of the last choices I would ever recommend.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I have no advice except the Judge. The Judge has a little bit of cool factor to it but that’s about it. Kinda like a 45/70 revolver, if you have the excess funds he’ll yea it might be fun but otherwise why would you.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I can give you one suggestion I learned the hard way. I shoot 99.9% on outdoor ranges. I wanted to let my wife and daughter shoot but it was raining so we went to the bass pro indoor range due to it being close to my house. HUGE MISTAKE. The noise and concussion from the inside range with everyone shooting was a deal breaker, they were ready to go in 2min, and to be honest, I was as well. I like outdoor ranges whenever possible. Just my experience, hope it helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    The only advantage I see with a revolver is malfunctions. I know revolvers can malfunction but I’ve never had one personally. I have had pistols have malfunctions on a few occasions. If she is not dedicated to learning how to clear malfunctions then why not start her on a fulls size revolver with light loads and work your way up to full power. If she enjoys shooting then learning to manipulate a pistol will be fun for her. I’d hate for her to grab that EZ pistol and have a malfunction due to a bad grip, something hitting the slide etc and she panic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

El Pozzinator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Denham springs LA
    If you find she’s comfortable with a wheelgun the two I’ll recommend are a ruger security six (my 68yo mom CCWs one) or a S&W lady smith (wife used one until she had her carpal tunnel syndrome fixed), both loaded with federal hydrashok reduced recoil defense loads. Very manageable with the ruger’s 4” barrel or the smith’s 2” barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom