Honey Island Crowds

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MisterBunnie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2018
    New Orleans, LA
    Anybody been lately? If so -- how was the crowding/wait time? Been a while since I've been there, but I was just a Nicks on a Wednesday and was pretty surprised at the number of folks there. I'd like to bring my daughter (first timer) out to shoot pistols. Any tips on the best times to go would be appreciated. Thanks!

cdaniel76

Honey Island Range Ofcr.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Covington, LA
    Anybody been lately? If so -- how was the crowding/wait time? Been a while since I've been there, but I was just a Nicks on a Wednesday and was pretty surprised at the number of folks there. I'd like to bring my daughter (first timer) out to shoot pistols. Any tips on the best times to go would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'm a Range Officer at Honey Island. It's been very crowed on Saturdays and Sundays for the last few months but we have been noticing a slight decrease in the # of shooters. We assume that's due to ammo being scarce.

It's hard to say when is the best time. Sometimes the normal times we're busy it's slow and the normal times we're slow, it's busy.

All I can say is that I work the desk a lot and the last few times I've worked, we've had a small "backup" for rifle line and shotgun line but the pistol line hasn't had that issue.

I'd say if you want to get your choice of spots, get there at 745am and be one of the first people to sign in and go to the line when we open the range at 8.

Reminder: we're open Fridays 11-4 and Saturday/Sunday 8-4 for winter hours.

Last edited:

MisterBunnie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2018
    New Orleans, LA
    Thanks a lot for the reply -- I may try getting her out this Friday or next, as we'd like to have a chance to shoot at some of the steel targets. Is a hunting/fishing license still required for entry?

cdaniel76

Honey Island Range Ofcr.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Covington, LA
    Fishing and/or hunting licenses are a requirement to be on ANY WMA in Louisiana. We don't check them at the range. We're not enforecement of any kind(except for range activities), but if a warden should happen to stop you as you're entering or leaving the WMA and you don't have one, well I've heard they're pretty strict about it and they will write tickets.

If you have no need for a hunting or fishing license, you can get what's called a Wild Louisiana Stamp from anyplace that sells hunting/fishing licenses or online for $2(1-day) or $9.50(year).

If your daughter is 15 or younger, no license is required AND she gets in free to the range as well.

Have fun, be safe, and thanks for coming out to our Range.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom