3 wheelers BANNED!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I’m sure a few folks here remember when it happened. I hung onto my 125S and a minty 1985 Big Red 250 ES until around 2006, when I finally drank the quad kool aid. The official ban started in 1988 and ended in 1998, but the Jap industry agreed to not build them anymore.
    Anyway, I found this vid to be an interesting testament to how our government attempts to save us from ourselves and how the whole process works. It also shines a little light on a few other fallacies regarding the ban itself. Some of you might find much of it rings a familiar bell here in the present.

Many have proposed that it’s just a matter of time before there is similar action taken regarding ATV’s/Quads/4wheelers. The consumer groups and others have been lobbying for quite some time.

https://youtu.be/a_C8z0rFnjk

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I had a Honda 110 when I was a kid, it was great at building character lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Toward the end of the video they show the stats for quad related injuries and deaths. I’m wondering where’s the outcry for a ban now. Maybe someone learned that it’s not the vehicle but the driver? (Not the gun but the shooter)

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Toward the end of the video they show the stats for quad related injuries and deaths. I’m wondering where’s the outcry for a ban now. Maybe someone learned that it’s not the vehicle but the driver? (Not the gun but the shooter)

Qne of my many brothers almost cut his ear completely off climbing a hill when it flipped over on him.

Ear was hanging on just by the lobe,Oshner's was able to sew it back on...lol

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I had a 1986 ATC250SX (sporty version of the Big Red) that I kept until I bought a 300EX in 2006. I was personally amazed at how much more stable the quad was for trail riding (mostly in Norco and the Forest Hill area). After experiencing both, I wouldn't "sport ride" on a three wheeler again. I can't believe my parents let 17 year old me buy that thing. They had no idea how many times I had to bend the handle bars back into place...

You are correct, it's the rider, not the bike. But when you push those ATV's to their limits, the advantages of the quads come out.

I "retired" from all of that in 2012 or so. Most of my group sold their bikes, and none of us bounced back after a day of riding like we did 10 years earlier.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Man, I used to love my old Big Red Three Wheelers. Sure, they could hurt you if not careful but as long as you watched your speed and how you used it they would go through most anything.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I’m sure a few folks here remember when it happened. I hung onto my 125S and a minty 1985 Big Red 250 ES until around 2006, when I finally drank the quad kool aid. The official ban started in 1988 and ended in 1998, but the Jap industry agreed to not build them anymore.
    Anyway, I found this vid to be an interesting testament to how our government attempts to save us from ourselves and how the whole process works. It also shines a little light on a few other fallacies regarding the ban itself. Some of you might find much of it rings a familiar bell here in the present.

Many have proposed that it’s just a matter of time before there is similar action taken regarding ATV’s/Quads/4wheelers. The consumer groups and others have been lobbying for quite some time.

https://youtu.be/a_C8z0rFnjk

This guy makes good videos. I have a klr650 and during my research of the platform I came across his channel. Im hooked. He breaks it down well and keeps me entertained with good info.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Man, I used to love my old Big Red Three Wheelers. Sure, they could hurt you if not careful but as long as you watched your speed and how you used it they would go through most anything.
    Yeah, I gotta say, I could always traverse thick woods and creeks better on the Big Red better than any quad I’ve owned unless there were already trails cut. I could also float the Big Red across the Amite River and other creeks and such (off the bike) where I was raised but the quads were gonna find the bottom no matter what I was in.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    There are several '85 and '86 model Big Reds in my family still running strong. I started out as a second grader with a ATC 70....None of the ones I ever had over the years decided to turn on me. :dogkeke:

Three wheelers were a good example of everyone being punished over misuse of a product.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yeah, I gotta say, I could always traverse thick woods and creeks better on the Big Red better than any quad I’ve owned unless there were already trails cut. I could also float the Big Red across the Amite River and other creeks and such (off the bike) where I was raised but the quads were gonna find the bottom no matter what I was in.

Absolutely agree with thick woods comment. Nothing beat that 250 engine and tight turn radius in areas where there was no trail. Like pulling up to the dead deer so you didn't have to drag it 100 yards. I had smaller tires on mine. Front wouldn't float, even with me off of it.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Absolutely agree with thick woods comment. Nothing beat that 250 engine and tight turn radius in areas where there was no trail. Like pulling up to the dead deer so you didn't have to drag it 100 yards. I had smaller tires on mine. Front wouldn't float, even with me off of it.
    exactly why I went back to the balloon tires. I enjoyed the mudders for awhile then went right back to flotation tires when I saw the difference.

From earlier comment, most I know about the potential comeback of the 3 wheeler is what I’ve heard from people in the industry. The jap companies are all afraid to go there, given the history, but the ban has indeed been expired for nearly 20 years. The Jap big 4 or so kinda came to some samari/yakuza gentleman’s agreement to not go there, they feel like they don’t wanna push their luck while they’re still able to sell Americans all those 4 and 2 wheeled products. They are so smart that they know when you are dealing with our government you can’t have an odd wheel in the mix. Asians are smart like that. They don’t wanna mess up a good thing. No more three wheeled products for us unless can am or somebody builds one.
    Btw, those little cheapo fat wheeled mini bikes will do way more in the
    woods than most people think. I got the OD green one from Home Depot but here’s a blue one in action.

https://youtu.be/PBlm-oMJmoY

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I rode my Honda 200M(Wooly Boogers all around after someone stole my Rawhides) pretty hard until about 2000.
    Man that was a wheelie machine !

Arkavian

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    I grew up riding a Big Red 250 everywhere. Where I used to live, it was all dirt roads, fields and turn rows. All of us kids had some form of ATV and pretty much all of our father's farmed. Before we had licenses we would spend our days meeting up by driving our ATV's to each other's houses via dirt roads, trails through fields etc. I was the only one with a 3 wheeler but I was also the "fastest" of us, which suited my "lead thumb" just fine back then. :D

I look back on it now and I'm pretty amazed I never did get hurt on it. (Mainly due to my driving like a wild man) I jumped stuff with it, road like a bat out of hell, etc. I also took it into the woods on many a hunt, and as someone mentioned they were just absolutely awesome for tight conditions. I wish I still had that thing, lots of good memories from riding one.

sawgrass

Hunka Hunka burning lead.
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Hammond
    I have several Big Red 250es and pleasure ride for outdoor enjoyment. No hunting or mud bogging for this old geezer.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom