Lead Removal?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I recently bought a Mark II that's extremely well seasoned with lead build-up in the barrel...

Look's like a smooth bore shot-gun barrel when I first got it home.

Now after using Hoppe's #9,Cleaning rod with copper bristles ? Picky things poking out.

Wrapped copper wiring off a brillo pad looking thing and hitting the bore about 50 times I'm starting to see some rifling.

Faint that it may be,Do these older Rugers have light rifling or is this a case of hitting it 50 more times?

What is you're method of lead build-up removal please?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Sounds as if you are doing it right. May want to let it soak overnight.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    That's what I do for heavy lead fouling ... wrap copper wool around an old cleaning brushes and go at it with Hoppes. Eventually the stuff relents.

It's a .22, so the rifling isn't going to be that deep.

Mike

Wikun

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    Metairie, La
    Hoppe's makes a brush called the Tornado brush. You can get it in all calibers. Couple that with Hoppe's #9 and you will definitely be going in the right direction. I had a bunch of leading when I first started casting. I didn't understand sizing so needless to say, I scrubbed a lot until I figured some things out.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Hoppe's makes a brush called the Tornado brush. You can get it in all calibers. Couple that with Hoppe's #9 and you will definitely be going in the right direction. I had a bunch of leading when I first started casting. I didn't understand sizing so needless to say, I scrubbed a lot until I figured some things out.

Thanks,Is this something that needs to be ordered or is it possibly to pick it up like say Academy since I have a gift card and everything?

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Well it is different and looks effective,Always a good day when a person learns something new

Attachments

• tornadobrush_17.jpg
      tornadobrush_17.jpg
      67.1 KB · Views: 159

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    TORNADO BRUSH!! Yep!! A few years ago my Ruger SR-22 rifle got so fouled up I thought I ruined the barrel. My kids were shooting it and went through at least a 550 box of Remington thunderbolts, no copper plating so the lead just FUBARED the barrel. The kids stop shooting when they couldn't hit targets anymore because It was throwing knuckleballs out the barrel! I did exactly what you did to try to clean it.....then I got the Tornado, I as amazed the amount of leading that it cleaned out very quickly. The barrel looked like new and the accuracy was dead nuts afterwards. Once is starts leading up it gets progressively worse with every shot!

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    TORNADO BRUSH!! Yep!! A few years ago my Ruger SR-22 rifle got so fouled up I thought I ruined the barrel. My kids were shooting it and went through at least a 550 box of Remington thunderbolts, no copper plating so the lead just FUBARED the barrel. The kids stop shooting when they couldn't hit targets anymore because It was throwing knuckleballs out the barrel! I did exactly what you did to try to clean it.....then I got the Tornado, I as amazed the amount of leading that it cleaned out very quickly. The barrel looked like new and the accuracy was dead nuts afterwards. Once is starts leading up it gets progressively worse with every shot!

Well you sold me for sure,Dead nuts was the kicker...lol

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    lewis lead remover. 5 strokes and done. TOrnado brushes dont do crap. Now if you can find a stainless bristle brush that will knock it out faster too.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I use hoppe’s #9 applied with a large barrel q tip. They sell them at Academy and make them for
    all barrel sizes. After I get it nice and wet with some hoppe’s I hit it with a copper brush and then push a few q tips down the barrel to get all the lead buildup out. I repeat that process until the q tips start coming out clean and then I follow up with some balistol.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I know your situation here is a little different since you bought the gun off of someone but One thing that’s helpful with cleaning guns imo is the second I’m finished shooting one I swab some hoppe’s down the barrel and run a snake through it. I swab a little more hoppe’s after that and by the time I get home and get around to actually cleaning the gun the barrel is clean after about 5 more minutes of cleaning. When I don’t do that it takes me a good 30 minutes to clean just the barrel because I’m extremely anal when it comes to my guns being cleaned and I like to keep them all as clean as possible and ready for use at all times lol. I like to know any firearm I own I can pick up and put a couple thousand rounds through it and not have to worry about it getting too dirty and causing me some issues. I never did and never will understand the guys who clean their guns once ever blue moon or wait for it to start malfunctioning before they clean it.

Last edited:

WhereIsIt?

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 30, 2020
    Gretna, La
    You're gonna have to pee on it. Report back and let us know how that worked out. Make sure to give us details on what your family thought of you peeing on your gun in the living room because internet said so.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I don’t know how many of you have ever used a bore snake but I find them to do a good job of lead removal. It may be the bristles are more stout or just the nature of how pulling it through works. Not my favorite way to clean a bore but they’re effective.
    I’ll get with you Gator.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I don’t know how many of you have ever used a bore snake but I find them to do a good job of lead removal. It may be the bristles are more stout or just the nature of how pulling it through works. Not my favorite way to clean a bore but they’re effective.
    I’ll get with you Gator.

I appreciate the hell out of that.
    Anyday I learn something is a good day

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Thanks men,I had to put the Hoppes to it overnight
    Hit it with a couple different wire brushes and a bore snake
    Finally starting to see some decent rifling.

That's what I do. I also have a few of the tornado brushes and copper dish pads o brake ,piece off like stated above.
    Be careful with the copper dish pads sold I have seen some that was steel copper coated.
    Of you look online some Ben's Red is,easy to make the cleaner and lube they both work great.
    I have Hoppies but wanted to try it as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom