Join BayouShooter For Free
CS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lead Removal?

Marksman

User Info Menu

I use hoppe’s #9 applied with a large barrel q tip. They sell them at Academy and make them for
    all barrel sizes. After I get it nice and wet with some hoppe’s I hit it with a copper brush and then push a few q tips down the barrel to get all the lead buildup out. I repeat that process until the q tips start coming out clean and then I follow up with some balistol.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I know your situation here is a little different since you bought the gun off of someone but One thing that’s helpful with cleaning guns imo is the second I’m finished shooting one I swab some hoppe’s down the barrel and run a snake through it. I swab a little more hoppe’s after that and by the time I get home and get around to actually cleaning the gun the barrel is clean after about 5 more minutes of cleaning. When I don’t do that it takes me a good 30 minutes to clean just the barrel because I’m extremely anal when it comes to my guns being cleaned and I like to keep them all as clean as possible and ready for use at all times lol. I like to know any firearm I own I can pick up and put a couple thousand rounds through it and not have to worry about it getting too dirty and causing me some issues. I never did and never will understand the guys who clean their guns once ever blue moon or wait for it to start malfunctioning before they clean it.
    Last edited by Jstudzinski; January 12th, 2021 at 10:41 AM.

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Thanks men,I had to put the Hoppes to it overnight
    Hit it with a couple different wire brushes and a bore snake
    Finally starting to see some decent rifling.
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.

On Target

User Info Menu

You're gonna have to pee on it. Report back and let us know how that worked out. Make sure to give us details on what your family thought of you peeing on your gun in the living room because internet said so.

Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

I donít know how many of you have ever used a bore snake but I find them to do a good job of lead removal. It may be the bristles are more stout or just the nature of how pulling it through works. Not my favorite way to clean a bore but theyíre effective.
    Iíll get with you Gator.
    Doesnít play well with TROLLS...

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Magdump View Post
    I don’t know how many of you have ever used a bore snake but I find them to do a good job of lead removal. It may be the bristles are more stout or just the nature of how pulling it through works. Not my favorite way to clean a bore but they’re effective.
    I’ll get with you Gator.
    I appreciate the hell out of that.
    Anyday I learn something is a good day
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.

-Global Mod-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    Thanks men,I had to put the Hoppes to it overnight
    Hit it with a couple different wire brushes and a bore snake
    Finally starting to see some decent rifling.
    That's what I do. I also have a few of the tornado brushes and copper dish pads o brake ,piece off like stated above.
    Be careful with the copper dish pads sold I have seen some that was steel copper coated.
    Of you look online some Ben's Red is,easy to make the cleaner and lube they both work great.
    I have Hoppies but wanted to try it as well.

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WhereIsIt? View Post
    You're gonna have to pee on it. Report back and let us know how that worked out. Make sure to give us details on what your family thought of you peeing on your gun in the living room because internet said so.
    He,I'm not Russian me...