Bushnell TRS-25 - It's Cheap

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Earlier in 2020, I asked about 10/22's as I was looking for a budget rifle to plink with. I picked one up at my LGS and began looking for an optic. Despite the bad reviews, I decided to spend less and acquire a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot. I believe I paid right around $70 shipped when a sale popped on. The optic arrived and I promptly installed it on my new 10/22. It was disappointing to see that the pic rail mount is integral, unlike most T1 style micro optics, but I was happy to see it at least included rubber bikini covers.

At the range, I zeroed the optic at 25 yards on a Shoot-N-C NRA B8. All ten rounds were within the X ring, which is 1.695" in diameter. Now that's not amazing by any means, but given that it's a budget rifle with bulk Federal Champion, I think it's okay. However, the TRS-25 dot itself is not remotely close to crisp and even on maximum power the dot is barely visible in overcast skies. Zeroing was a bit difficult in that there are no audible clicks, so you just turn the turrets until you are happy with what you have. For a $60-70 optic, I give it a 6/10. While it's by no means horrible, spending $20 more can buy a Primary Arms Microdot.

If you are willing to spend more than $100, I would avoid the TRS-25 entirely.

50814843948_fa5be89e10_c.jpg

50534211588_5e4f3ff401.jpg

BrandonPle

Gunlover
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Watson
    I have an old one (6 yrs) that is still going strong .
    Always comes on , always held zero.
    I bought a new one last year .
    The first one I received you couldn't turn the dial without wrenching down. Sent it back.
    Second one lasted about 4 months on top of an a.k.
    Threw it in trash . Where it belonged !!!

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I have an old Tasco Pro Point I've had for over 20 years that is still going strong. The dot is perfect, the brightness settings are great and really bright in daylight. It has a longer tube than all the new optics optics these days but its not a hindrance in any way. I've had it on .357 revolvers, Semi auto .45 and 9mm and currently rides on a Ruger 22/45. They just don't make them like they used to. Most bullseye shooters use the Ultradot optic. Even my aged eyes with astigmatism sees the dot on the Tasco better than all my other optics except my SRO.

Dice9309

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    Lake Charles
    3 years on my Ruger PC9 and no issues. Paired with a magnifer and its been great. 500+ rounds.

From what I've read these are hit and miss on reliability.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Oh boy, my favorite plinker optic. I’ve paid anywhere from in the $30’s to $70’s for them and used them on .22’s, PCC’s, AR15’s, and shotguns and they’ve always performed well for me. Only problem I’ve ever had with one was a AR version that came with a 1 inch riser. The hardware was lightweight and I snapped the single clamp screw so I had to buy a $10 riser mount to replace it.
    For anything that you don’t want to spend a lot of optic money on they’re great. For anyone who’s afraid to pull one out at the range, you’ll just have to dig a little deeper into your pocket. I’ve never had one give up.
    Given a choice of which to mount on a $350-500 AR fun gun plinker, I’d rather spend $40~$70 than $150 for the same results
    out of a Vortex, Holosun or Sig dot in that range. I have all of those and all I see is a red dot on my target with any of them.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom