Join BayouShooter For Free
Meplat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    _________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RaleighReloader View Post
    I'm in the same boat ... could never see the point of this expensive and very proprietary round when there are so many others that perform so well.

I've thought over the years that I'd just wait low and find a really great deal on a used 5.7 handgun, just to get it out of my system. But with ammo prices where they're at right now, I'm not sure I'd want to even try. 5.7x28 has crept up to almost $2 per round ... that's too rich for my blood, regardless of its ballistics.

Mike
    Ask USSS why they ditched 5.7x28mm firearms, or any of the other LEA that have done the same.

I will never understand that fascination with 5.7 outside of owning a PS90 as a "retro" gun.

On Target

User Info Menu

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, KelTec has kind of built its bones on releasing products that nobody ask for, lol.
    And to their credit, a lot of these unique designs have been pretty damn ingenious... Unfortunately their quality control has never matched up to their innovation.

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

I always assumed those weird P90 mags used gravity to assist in feeding, I wonder how reliable it is feeding inverted like that.

With a stock/brace I think it would make much more sense (as much sense as a 5.7 can make anyway), and I'd almost bet it was designed for one that they're sitting on due to current climate at the ATF. That weird little separate beavertail area looks like a great place to mount a stock.

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedRacer View Post
    I always assumed those weird P90 mags used gravity to assist in feeding, I wonder how reliable it is feeding inverted like that.

With a stock/brace I think it would make much more sense (as much sense as a 5.7 can make anyway), and I'd almost bet it was designed for one that they're sitting on due to current climate at the ATF. That weird little separate beavertail area looks like a great place to mount a stock.
    I believe that beavertail is the lever to crack open the action and remove the magazine.

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    I believe that beavertail is the lever to crack open the action and remove the magazine.
    Iím trying to give them the slightest benefit of the doubt and youíre ruining it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Marksman

User Info Menu

The OP is wrong. This is the text of a letter I sent to Kel-Tec.

Dear Kel-Tec,

Please make a 50 round 5.7mm pistol. Make A Wish Foundation has not responded to any of my letters. Before I die, I must have another 5.7 pistol. Please make my dying wish come true.
    Sincerely,
    Johnny La Rue

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedRacer View Post
    I’m trying to give them the slightest benefit of the doubt and you’re ruining it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    It's what I do

On Target

User Info Menu

I have never understood the fascination with the 5.7x28. Comparing the .31gr bullet with a .22 Mag with same weight bullet shows a 50 fps advantage for the 5.7. Not worth the difference in price to me.

I have had a Kel Tec PLR-16 for several years. It takes AR mags and I have a red dot on it and I have put 10 shots into 1" at 50 yds with it. Not that much difference in size to the 5.7, but a lot more bang.

On Target

User Info Menu

It's not that the 5.7 is better, it's that it's different than other cartridges.
    Baton Rouge, LA

"No matter how cynical I become, it's not enough to keep up"

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer Squid View Post
    It's not that the 5.7 is better, it's that it's different than other cartridges.
    If someone wants it just because *it’s different,* that’s fine, it’s their money.

Personally, if I’m going for different, I would at least want something I don’t have to spend tons of money on for ammo.