Keltec P50 - The Gun Nobody Asked For

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Kel-Tec P50
    Chambered in 5.7x28mm
    Barrel Length: 9.6"
    Overall Length: 15"
    Weight Unloaded: 3.2 lbs
    MSRP: $995

First impressions:
    This is the goofiest gun I have seen in the past decade.

KEL_P50_Left.png

p50-right_DSC03792.png

p50-hero-4-1024x645.jpg

p50-sling-metal.jpg

p50-open-metal.jpg

p50-magazine-metal.jpg

BrandonPle

Gunlover
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Watson
    I predict someone on this site, and in the near future will be aiwb carrying one and telling us all about it's superior stopping power .:rofl:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Would be cool if it took a brace, but probably doesn't from the pictures.

I don't think it does. Not saying that someone will not develop something weird, but I don't think it will work.

How much do you think it costs to shoot a magazine in today's climate? :rofl:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Aside from an expensive plinker, I could never justify the purchase of any of the weapons designed around this cartridge. People tout the round’s armor penetrating capability but as far as I know the ammo that definitely goes through a vest and keeps kicking is not available to the public anyway. I see no special defensive value there for all that extra money. I shot a P90 and found it fun but I’ve had more fun with some of my rimfire rifles. I paid my bud for the ammo and felt like I got out cheap. I understand the draw for some folks and I’ve definitely bought more than one firearm strictly for novelty but I felt that due to the cost and availability of the ammo I would wind up more disappointed than anything else. Overall I’m still glad I don’t own a 5.7, regardless of who made it.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Aside from an expensive plinker, I could never justify the purchase of any of the weapons designed around this cartridge.

I'm in the same boat ... could never see the point of this expensive and very proprietary round when there are so many others that perform so well.

I've thought over the years that I'd just wait low and find a really great deal on a used 5.7 handgun, just to get it out of my system. But with ammo prices where they're at right now, I'm not sure I'd want to even try. 5.7x28 has crept up to almost $2 per round ... that's too rich for my blood, regardless of its ballistics.

Mike

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I'm in the same boat ... could never see the point of this expensive and very proprietary round when there are so many others that perform so well.

I've thought over the years that I'd just wait low and find a really great deal on a used 5.7 handgun, just to get it out of my system. But with ammo prices where they're at right now, I'm not sure I'd want to even try. 5.7x28 has crept up to almost $2 per round ... that's too rich for my blood, regardless of its ballistics.

Mike

Ask USSS why they ditched 5.7x28mm firearms, or any of the other LEA that have done the same.

I will never understand that fascination with 5.7 outside of owning a PS90 as a "retro" gun.

GearFondler

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    Pearl River, LA
    At the risk of pointing out the obvious, KelTec has kind of built its bones on releasing products that nobody ask for, lol.
    And to their credit, a lot of these unique designs have been pretty damn ingenious... Unfortunately their quality control has never matched up to their innovation.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I always assumed those weird P90 mags used gravity to assist in feeding, I wonder how reliable it is feeding inverted like that.

With a stock/brace I think it would make much more sense (as much sense as a 5.7 can make anyway), and I'd almost bet it was designed for one that they're sitting on due to current climate at the ATF. That weird little separate beavertail area looks like a great place to mount a stock.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I always assumed those weird P90 mags used gravity to assist in feeding, I wonder how reliable it is feeding inverted like that.

With a stock/brace I think it would make much more sense (as much sense as a 5.7 can make anyway), and I'd almost bet it was designed for one that they're sitting on due to current climate at the ATF. That weird little separate beavertail area looks like a great place to mount a stock.

I believe that beavertail is the lever to crack open the action and remove the magazine.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I believe that beavertail is the lever to crack open the action and remove the magazine.

I’m trying to give them the slightest benefit of the doubt and you’re ruining it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    The OP is wrong. This is the text of a letter I sent to Kel-Tec.

Dear Kel-Tec,

Please make a 50 round 5.7mm pistol. Make A Wish Foundation has not responded to any of my letters. Before I die, I must have another 5.7 pistol. Please make my dying wish come true.
    Sincerely,
    Johnny La Rue

LouisianaJoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Luling, Louisiana
    I have never understood the fascination with the 5.7x28. Comparing the .31gr bullet with a .22 Mag with same weight bullet shows a 50 fps advantage for the 5.7. Not worth the difference in price to me.

I have had a Kel Tec PLR-16 for several years. It takes AR mags and I have a red dot on it and I have put 10 shots into 1" at 50 yds with it. Not that much difference in size to the 5.7, but a lot more bang.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    It's not that the 5.7 is better, it's that it's different than other cartridges.

If someone wants it just because *it’s different,* that’s fine, it’s their money.

Personally, if I’m going for different, I would at least want something I don’t have to spend tons of money on for ammo.

Top Bottom