Gun Safe relocation needed

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CY09

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Sorry for my incompetence, but it was suggested that I move this thread so people could comment. Hope this is the right place. If not, I quit. HA. I'm look for someone who can move a #700 safe from one house to another. I live in the Houma/Thibodaux area. Moosa Movers is a local company, but they moved a piano for me and scared the hell out of me with their handling of it. Any input would be appreciated.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    After I moved one I paid liberty gun safe to move it the next time. I’ll never move another one by myself.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirty_sanchez

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Last time I had to move mine which is about 500lbs-I emptied it out and moved it around on golf balls pretty easily.

This one might be a little too big for that trick though.

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    I moved mine with the gray PVC conduit. Cut 24” sections and laid down cardboard over the floors in front of where I was going. Played leap frog with the PVC keeping one piece in front and always two beneath the safe. Hardest part was getting it over the threshold from garage into the house. But, with the safe door fully open, it was enough leverage to “wheelie” it up over the threshold. If you rent a truck from HD with the Tommy-Lift gate, this becomes very manageable.

Good luck!

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    Another vote for Mike Ward's in Baton Rouge. They moved one for me last year and did a great job, quick and painless.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    As far the golf balls etc they didn’t work for mine. It’s kind of wide and squat. I was hanging off the side of the safe trying to use my legs on a wall and couldn’t get it to rock up enough to get those things under it.

Pay a professional. Worth every penny.

Dave

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    If you use a pallet jack, you will need to put plywood down so you don’t destroy you flooring. I’ve done the golf ball trick twice and it worked for me. It’s why I keep a 5-gallon bucket of golf balls at the house.

Bryan

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    sections of 3/4 to 1" pvc pipe if its flat or you only need to go over a threshold, if they are clean you wont damage any floors. Metal pipes is how I move around big machine tools weighing tons and it works very well. Golf balls I hear work, but idk about damage to flooring.
    If you have to go up stairs find a set of rool a lifts for rent from a tool rental place. Using them wth some blocks and time you can walk a safe up stairs.
    FYI ive done pretty good with a regular old rubber tired dolly, sheets of Luan, and a couple good sized friends

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    I have moved a few and learned a little doing so.
    I have had good luck with the pallet jack but also learned not to try to stand up the safe when transporting it in a truck or trailer. Lay it down on its side. Use shipping blankets to protect the safe + it will slide easier while loading and unload.

To protect your floors, using the pallet jack, plywood would help. You can use two pieces and move one in front of the other as you roll the pallet jack along. Buy one 4' x 8' sheet and rip it. Two sheets 2' x 8' should be all you need.

Last edited:

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Don't watch the movers when they do the job . Make sure they know they will pay for any and all damages , tell them to be careful and then go in the backyard or somewhere you can't see them and let them do their thing ... Go have a beer or two ... just don't watch the goings on . Keep telling yourself ... they are pro's and do this every day... everything will be just fine ... repeat that as necessary .
    Gary

G_FAL

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Could also rent some Hillman rollers. Have used them and pallet jacks before with plywood on the floor.

Top Bottom