Join BayouShooter For Free
Brass

Marksman

User Info Menu

Glock 9 to 40 conversion barrel

Question for those who may have one. I have several 9mm glocks and a single .45 acp. I lack and dont necessarily want a .40. However with the past and current instances of ammo shortages etc i feel like it would be beneficial to have the ability to shoot .40. That being the case im leaning towards purchasing a 9 to 40 conversion barrel for one of my 17s. At one time i owned a model 35 with a .40 to 9mm conversion barrel. I sold and purchased a 34 but that gun functioned fine with 9mm and currently functions fine with the original .40 barrel. Question. I have 17L, 34, 17, 19, 19x. I have zero intentions of shooting the 40 in my 17L. However the rest arent out of the question. Any cons to purchasing a 34 length barrel and shooting it in say my 19? Or is it best to only step down from the 34 to a regular 17?

enthusiast

User Info Menu

From my understanding the hole in the front of the gun is larger on the .40 models. So it would require a whole top end. On top of that, you would need a different trigger housing with the .40 cal ejector.

I think it's easier to just buy a glock 22 or 35 if that's what you are looking for. Prior to the pandemic it wasn't unusual to find one for 275-325 (due to people trading for 9mm).

I picked up a glock 22 from Barney's recently for 299.
    Stephen

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

You will need a .40 cal slide and barrel. 9mm barrels are a smaller outer diameter than .40 S&W.

For the frame, you will need a .40 ejector and .40 S&W magazines.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Well hell... i just assumed you could go either way. Hadnt even looked at barrels yet. Guess i may be in the market for a 23 soon.

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sksshooter View Post
    Well hell... i just assumed you could go either way. Hadnt even looked at barrels yet. Guess i may be in the market for a 23 soon.
    .40 S&W barrels are larger in diameter for obvious reasons. You can acquire a 9mm conversion barrel for a .40 S&W slide, because 9mm is smaller and the barrel will simply be thicker.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Yeah makes since now that im thinking back on it. i believe that gun had a lonewolf conversion barrel and i seem to recall the chamber and bore being slightly offset to compensate in the differneces in the ejector. Going off memory now that could have been bs