Join BayouShooter For Free
Brass

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guns are my crack!!

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by La26 View Post
    About 4 years ago, my Dept went from the S&W M&P .45 to the Glock 9 (17, 19, & 34). 9mm ammo has developed by leaps and bounds over the last 20 years to give the 9mm shooter a much more efficient cartridge for personal carry, home defense, and Law Enforcement Duty rounds. Efficiency on the range has also improved. Considering the higher round count, and effective accuracy "on target", the 9mm has proven to be a great move so far. Our Deputies seem to enjoy shooting it a lot more also.
    I prefer my M&P's over any Glock, but I understand the reasoning behind switching the department to all Glock 9mm like St. John did after the deputies were killed. Now if St. James and St. John were ever together in a shootout they can help each other out if need be. I carry an M&P 9mm and Sig 365xl as my EDC and my M&P 45 in my truck. I recently sold all my Glocks (7) and haven't missed them. Only thing is I won't be able to shoot GSSF matches anymore.
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

I carry a gun because I'm too old for an ass whoopin', and too young to die!

USPSA # A55195
    NRA # 138603535

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilante Sniper View Post
    I prefer my M&P's over any Glock, but I understand the reasoning behind switching the department to all Glock 9mm like St. John did after the deputies were killed. Now if St. James and St. John were ever together in a shootout they can help each other out if need be. I carry an M&P 9mm and Sig 365xl as my EDC and my M&P 45 in my truck. I recently sold all my Glocks (7) and haven't missed them. Only thing is I won't be able to shoot GSSF matches anymore.
    We contacted S&W about trading the M&P .45 for some 9mm, figuring the Deputies would be familiar with the platform, and we would be able to use the same leather. S&W certainly wanted to sell us new 9mm M&P's, but had NO interest in taking the .45 on trade. Instead they put us in contact with someone who would buy them outright. When we talked to that person, they only offered us $200 per gun, which was still in the case with the extra grip inserts, and 100 spare mags. Didn't sound like a great deal, so the M&P's are sitting in the safe, and we now carry Glocks.

La. CHP Instructor #409

Premium Member

User Info Menu

We contacted S&W about trading the M&P .45 for some 9mm, figuring the Deputies would be familiar with the platform, and we would be able to use the same leather. S&W certainly wanted to sell us new 9mm M&P's, but had NO interest in taking the .45 on trade. Instead they put us in contact with someone who would buy them outright. When we talked to that person, they only offered us $200 per gun, which was still in the case with the extra grip inserts, and 100 spare mags. Didn't sound like a great deal, so the M&P's are sitting in the safe, and we now carry Glocks.
    About 16 years ago I talked to a dealer about trading Sig P220 .45 pistols in and they allowed about $275 per pistol.
    The Agency purchased new Glocks. LEA's pay almost $200 below retail for Agency Purchase Glocks.
    Last edited by JBP55; February 19th, 2021 at 03:12 PM.

User Info Menu

I carried a Browning BDA (basically a SIG 220) in New Orleans while James Parsons was the Police Chief. I loved that pistol, and still have it. I believe the higher-ups here felt that they should have been offered more by S&W for the current .45's, since we wanted to buy more S&W (in 9mm), but I guess business is business. When the suggested buyer only wanted to offer $200, I guess we understood that they weren't worth much.
    Last edited by La26; February 19th, 2021 at 03:26 PM.

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

I carried a Browning BDA (basically a SIG 220) in New Orleans while James Parsons was the Police Chief. I loved that pistol, and still have it. I believe the higher-ups here felt that they should have been offered more by S&W for the current .45's, since we wanted to buy more S&W (in 9mm), but I guess business is business. When the suggested buyer only wanted to offer $200, I guess we understood that they weren't worth much.
    Last month I picked up an ex-Florida Highway Patrol Glock 37 from GT Distributors. Gun was $289 plus $15 shipping.

Granted there's probably more demand for a gun chambered in .45 ACP than there is in .45 GAP, but from what I've seen over the years there's not a whole lot of markup in any of these ex-duty guns regardless of make/model. And, I imagine that there will be a few bad apples in every lot of guns, so they have to factor in those losses as well.

M&P's in particular don't seem to have great ex-duty resale value ... which probably makes them a good buy. If you can find one, of course.

Mike
    ΦΒΚ. Honi soit qui mal y pense.