Join BayouShooter For Free
CS

Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Training Today

On Target

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Training Today

With the current ammo situation, has anyone considered using airsoft pistols to stay on top of your pistol game? Most namely GBB Pistols so there is some recoil, and report.

If so, please let me know what equipment you use specifically, and how well it performs for you. I recently ordered this pistol to supplement my shooting, and if anyone would like to know how it performs, it should arrive on Saturday. It was a pre order, so I have been waiting on it for weeks. Looks like they have sold this shipment out, because the updated pre order status says March now. If you want one there may be a wait. All reviews I have found so far are good.
    https://us.novritsch.com/products/ssp18-system/

Before the Err Meh Gerd people join in, I am not advocating using this as a replacement for live fire. It is more for pistol trigger work and proficiency, that cannot be had with any feedback by dry fire. I simply cannot find adequate supply nor can I afford to shoot even 500 rounds a month right now, and this was a likely alternative for me.

La. CHP Instructor #409

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Simunition® is the pioneer and world leader in providing military, law enforcement and approved range members with the most realistic and non-lethal force-on-force, short range, simulation training system. For the past 15 years, military and police officers around the world have placed their trust in Simunition® to deliver realistic training. Professionals whose lives depend on the best training possible know that they can always count on Simunition® FX® marking cartridges and SecuriBlank® cartridges to provide them with the most effective close range, reality-based training system.

Simunition® has raised the bar again by introducing a completely non-toxic Toxfree® primer as an option to all its training rounds. The FX® system is comprised of FX® marking munitions, weapon conversion kits and personal protective equipment. All three essential components are supported by a comprehensive Simunition® Scenario and Safety Certification Training Course.

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

I purchased one of the Glock licensed airsoft pistols made by Umarex last year. There are multiple versions, some CO2 powered and some Green Gas. I bought the full blowback model, but there are also some half blow back models to conserve gas. Magazines can be loaded up to actual capacity (and then some). I've shot it at ten yards and it's accurate enough for what it is, you're not going to be shooting 25 yd bulls with it though.

It has about as much recoil as a subsonic .22lr. The slide doesn't way much so that's to be expected. Due to the magazine and CO2 cartridge, it has some heft to it, so that's a plus. There are a few downsides though, which make this a less than ideal choice. First, the frame is not identical to a real Glock frame. It's much wider, including the rail. It does not fit in ANY kydex holsters that I own. The second major issue is that the rail is larger than a Glock rail. You can see that the X300U will not completely close and does not allow for the light to fit in light bearing holsters. The slide does lock back on empty, but it's not as user friendly as a live firearm. Dropping the slide with the slide stop doesn't have enough spring power and sometimes binds up. Even if you slingshot the slide, it barely has enough spring power to go into battery. I would try to find a Green Gas Tokyo Marui Glock, which is technically unlicensed, but those DO actually fit in Glock holsters.

Some of the pros to it are that it is fairly accurate and works well for drills from low ready. There are a number of aftermarket parts for it, since it's a licensed product and Airsofters like to modify their guns. I'm still looking for one of the RDS adapters to see if I can mount a cheap dot.

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    Simunition® is the pioneer and world leader in providing military, law enforcement and approved range members with the most realistic and non-lethal force-on-force, short range, simulation training system. For the past 15 years, military and police officers around the world have placed their trust in Simunition® to deliver realistic training. Professionals whose lives depend on the best training possible know that they can always count on Simunition® FX® marking cartridges and SecuriBlank® cartridges to provide them with the most effective close range, reality-based training system.

Simunition® has raised the bar again by introducing a completely non-toxic Toxfree® primer as an option to all its training rounds. The FX® system is comprised of FX® marking munitions, weapon conversion kits and personal protective equipment. All three essential components are supported by a comprehensive Simunition® Scenario and Safety Certification Training Course.
    Does Simunition or UTM even sell to civilians?
    Even then, can a civilian purchase a Glock 17T?

You're also looking at $500+ for a 17T to shoot sims.

At the end of the day, I don't know of many Joe Blow Regular Dudes that can't afford ammo, but can afford a Sim gun and Simunition or UTM's.

Don’t troll me bro!

User Info Menu

I say screw the Err meh Gerd poleeces and go Nerf guns if it works for you. Who are they anyway? Nobodies inportantz.
    My preference has always been the .22LR but I could make airsoft work for me. Lord knows I spent enough time shooting guys with paintballs years ago. Anyone who thinks that doesn’t help your skill set is welcome to come out to my woods and take part in a few friendly matches. We should test the waters for something of that nature in the area.
    Doesn’t play well with TROLLS...

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Magdump View Post
    Lord knows I spent enough time shooting guys with paintballs years ago. Anyone who thinks that doesn’t help your skill set is welcome to come out to my woods and take part in a few friendly matches. We should test the waters for something of that nature in the area.
    I played Paintball competitively for roughly a decade. I've been around the country playing in CFOA and PSP events. The last event I played was PSP World Cup in 2008 playing D5 5-man. Prior to that, I played D3 Xball. Played D3 and D4 5man in CFOA. I have been to and played with and for teams at the majority of paintball fields around New Orleans and Baton Rouge. I can say with absolute certainty that playing any form of paintball (woodsball or airball) does absolutely nothing for one's abilities to shoot a firearm well. There are a few people on this forum that I played with that can vouch for this.
    Last edited by DAVE_M; January 21st, 2021 at 08:19 PM. Reason: typos

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    I purchased one of the Glock licensed airsoft pistols made by Umarex last year. There are multiple versions, some CO2 powered and some Green Gas. I bought the full blowback model, but there are also some half blow back models to conserve gas. Magazines can be loaded up to actual capacity (and then some). I've shot it at ten yards and it's accurate enough for what it is, you're not going to be shooting 25 yd bulls with it though.

It has about as much recoil as a subsonic .22lr. The slide doesn't way much so that's to be expected. Due to the magazine and CO2 cartridge, it has some heft to it, so that's a plus. There are a few downsides though, which make this a less than ideal choice. First, the frame is not identical to a real Glock frame. It's much wider, including the rail. It does not fit in ANY kydex holsters that I own. The second major issue is that the rail is larger than a Glock rail. You can see that the X300U will not completely close and does not allow for the light to fit in light bearing holsters. The slide does lock back on empty, but it's not as user friendly as a live firearm. Dropping the slide with the slide stop doesn't have enough spring power and sometimes binds up. Even if you slingshot the slide, it barely has enough spring power to go into battery. I would try to find a Green Gas Tokyo Marui Glock, which is technically unlicensed, but those DO actually fit in Glock holsters.

Some of the pros to it are that it is fairly accurate and works well for drills from low ready. There are a number of aftermarket parts for it, since it's a licensed product and Airsofters like to modify their guns. I'm still looking for one of the RDS adapters to see if I can mount a cheap dot.

I got the same one (mainly to play airsoft with the kid), but did immediately see some benefit for training. Pretty fun being able to shoot in the garage, and I’d say it’s as beneficial if not more so than dry fire. I had the same disappointment though, really thought it would fit Glock holsters but it doesn’t. Super lame and really limits the training benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedRacer View Post
    I got the same one (mainly to play airsoft with the kid), but did immediately see some benefit for training. Pretty fun being able to shoot in the garage, and I’d say it’s as beneficial if not more so than dry fire. I had the same disappointment though, really thought it would fit Glock holsters but it doesn’t. Super lame and really limits the training benefit.
    Did you try it in any ALS holsters?

I figured worst case it might fit a GLS.

La. CHP Instructor #409

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    Does Simunition or UTM even sell to civilians?
    Even then, can a civilian purchase a Glock 17T?

You're also looking at $500+ for a 17T to shoot sims.

At the end of the day, I don't know of many Joe Blow Regular Dudes that can't afford ammo, but can afford a Sim gun and Simunition or UTM's.
    Some LEA's train Church Security Teams and use Sims Pistols. I have a current invitation to a class but I am old and disabled and unable to take another class.

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    Some LEA's train Church Security Teams and use Sims Pistols. I have a current invitation to a class but I am old and disabled and unable to take another class.
    There are ranges that do the same, such as FRC, but I think the OP is looking for something an individual can use to supplement dry fire.