Join BayouShooter For Free
CS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast
    Bayou Photo Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hkump View Post
    I think in general, most guys that fly drones do it to film the beauty of nature or to film their family, friends, etc. I don't think they really care about what you're doing in your house or that they want to spy on you. I love Louisiana and the beauty of Louisiana. I mainly just film the lakes, rivers, and Gulf of Mexico. It's amazing to see the different perspective of a lake or river when you're flying above it versus when you're on the ground. Here's what I filmed for those that want to see:
    Nice shots! If we're over your property I guarantee we aren't filming your property. Again, "drones" (the correct term is Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) are legally aircraft. Shoot it down or interfere in my safe operation of it and see who comes knocking on your door later.

Generally, if I'm flying in a populated area I've already notified the FAA, the local airport, and the police to my activities. So when they get the 911 call from either you or me they already what's up.

One last point, search and rescue are now using these things more and more. You better make sure you know it's not someone looking for a lost child before you go blasting at it or threatening the operator.
    Last edited by aroundlsu; January 23rd, 2021 at 06:16 PM.
    IATSE Local 600 Camera Operator

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aroundlsu View Post

One last point, search and rescue are now using these things more and more. You better make sure you know it's not someone looking for a lost child before you go blasting at it or threatening the operator.
    Exactly this point.

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Magdump View Post
    Ok, but donít do that over my property.
    I have a feeling drone owners with the mindset of being protected from any sort of retaliation or intervention will be the instrument of their own demise. People build privacy fencing and such for a reason. For any hobbyist thinking they can invade that privacy all the way up to peeking into windows that the owner believes to be non visible to the public (second floor bedroom window, etc) is morally wrong and will eventually be dealt with. I donít mind openly saying that I would not stand for that type of harassment and Iím certainly not the only one. Flying a few hundred feet over a neighborhood is one thing, but singling out a family and being a psycho pervert is gonna have some very negative consequences. Iím sure the world of droning is chock full of participants who donít care about keeping the hobby safe from new restrictions, so itís just a matter of time before owners feel the repercussions of really bad behavior.... in one form or another.
    Yeah man,If you're doing this for financial gain Be a professional and approach people with a little manners like

Can the attitude that I'm a pilot and I can fly anywhere wither you peasants like it or not..

Go to the door knock and introduce yourself, Explain you've been hired to photograph or do an survey of said property and that a drone will pass over at xxx feet in 30 minutes

Once the survey is complete said drone will pass back on a return flight, You don't want them to think a spook agency or perv is about.

9 times out of 10 you'll get asked who's selling and what they asking, Tell them you're just the survey guy for xyz real-estate and...

That old farmer might say,Yeah use that gate and drive to the back,Or most of them will want to see the drone operation,Hell show them

You might just make a friend and pick up more work, It ain't that hard to be nice to people...lol
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.

On Target

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aroundlsu View Post
    I'm a part 107 certified drone pilot and professional aerial cinematographer. Sorry, but you don't own the air over your property. I can fly 1 foot over your property and film whatever I want without permission. It's the same as if a helicopter was flying over your property. A "drone" is a registered aircraft with the same protections as a helicopter or airliner. If you try to shoot it down or blind it with a laser I'm going to have to call the police and file a report with the FAA.

With that said, some cities have ordinances regarding peeping tom activity with a drone. Basically, spying on people in their backyard with a drone. If I'm going to be flying low around someone's house I will generally try to make contact with the owners just to make sure they understand I'm not spying and I'm filming for an assignment. However, if it's a large open piece of property I won't make any notifications. I have had angry owners storm over trying to shut me down and in that case I call the police. 99% of the time I'm not even interested in filming your property. I'm just filming the sunset or something else away from your property and the airspace over your house just happens to be the best spot to film from. If I wanted to film your property I could do it across the street.

Edit: OK "1 foot over" is a bit of an exaggeration. The Supreme Court has ruled you are entitled to some safe use of the air above your property and I'm required to fly in a manner that does not endanger people or property. If I can fly through and hit your head then that's not very safe. However, if it's out of reach and not endangering any of your property then I interpret the rules that I'm good to fly. I generally wouldn't fly under 100 feet anyway which is way out of your "reasonable use" area. Again, this does not rule out any state laws that could be different. I've only be trained in FAA laws.
    Like a famous saying, "just because you could, doesn't mean you should ". I certainly understand there's some hew haw out there just doesn't know better and not exactly what you called reasonable when you cross into their property. But the way you worded, it doesnt seemed you willing to bend either.
    Therefore, the way I see it, it your little toy cross into my property, if you dont go out of your way to identify your intentions, and you only couple of feet over my head, its going down.

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pandabear View Post
    Like a famous saying, "just because you could, doesn't mean you should ". I certainly understand there's some hew haw out there just doesn't know better and not exactly what you called reasonable when you cross into their property. But the way you worded, it doesnt seemed you willing to bend either.
    Therefore, the way I see it, it your little toy cross into my property, if you dont go out of your way to identify your intentions, and you only couple of feet over my head, its going down.
    That's right,I know people that will shoot pinecones down over you're head if they see you in their woods on their property.

The green ones hurt,The ones that have opened up not so much....Figure out how I know this
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    Go to the door knock and introduce yourself, Explain you've been hired to photograph or do an survey of said property and that a drone will pass over at xxx feet in 30 minutes
    The next time you're in my neighborhood and driving by, could you kindly knock on my door and introduce yourself, and explain why you're going to drive in front of my house on a public road? Give me some sense of what your business is, when you'll be driving by, and when you might have to drive past again to go home. After all, I need to make sure that you aren't from the deep state or some sort of perv.

(This is satire. It's as absurd of me to ask you to do this, just as it is of you to ask lawful drone operators to explain themselves to you before engaging in perfectly lawful behavior.)

Mike
    ΦΒΚ. Honi soit qui mal y pense.

On Target

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RaleighReloader View Post
    The next time you're in my neighborhood and driving by, could you kindly knock on my door and introduce yourself, and explain why you're going to drive in front of my house on a public road? Give me some sense of what your business is, when you'll be driving by, and when you might have to drive past again to go home. After all, I need to make sure that you aren't from the deep state or some sort of perv.

(This is satire. It's as absurd of me to ask you to do this, just as it is of you to ask lawful drone operators to explain themselves to you before engaging in perfectly lawful behavior.)

Mike
    No, no it is not. I don’t sun bathe naked next to the road. I do it behind my 6’ privacy fence, in my massive back yard. I respect the public road, because noone wants to see my pale ass. Respect my privacy fence or run the risks. If you are so big budget, pay the people whose property you want to film the sunset on. I’d bet you’d be recieved a little more warmly.

Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    That's right,I know people that will shoot pinecones down over you're head if they see you in their woods on their property.

The green ones hurt,The ones that have opened up not so much....Figure out how I know this
    I know of 2 instances of drones being effectively brought down and nothing at all was done when law enforcement was notified. In one case there was absolutely zero consequence for the homeowner because the droneís owner apparently acknowledged that he was indeed hovering very low over a house that he had buzzed many times and nobody ever tried to disable the drone before. What he didnít know was the property owner had reported what he perceived as harassment and what he deemed to be a severe invasion of privacy due to the fact that both his wife and teen daughter had given up on swimming and sunbathing that summer as a result. The drone was taken down by one shot from a bow fishing rig and landed in the property ownerís pool. The LEO that eventually visited the house was allowed to fish the drone from the pool, I believe 2 or 3 days afterward. He kept it at the jail for another day or so until the droneís owner showed to collect it. He told the man about the lengthy amount of video the family had shown him of the drone buzzing their house and yard and told him he got what he deserved. I did not see the video but I got the story straight from the LEO who also told me of the drone that went down in a fenced yard and was taken inside by the owner, who denied having anything to do with the crash and simply was not questioned further about it. The man had someone play the video and there was a nice collection of stalker type video of young women at the LSU lake area and in back yards and windows. Apparently the laws donít cover a drone Ďcrashingí on its own on someoneís property and apparently there was nothing on the video that was deemed as proof of foul play. The drone was apparently damaged beyond repair. No charges.
    So yeah, Iím thinking what will be will be, but thereís gonna be a learning curve for quite a few drone pilots who think just because the laws are Ďon their sideí they wonít lose in the long run when they decide to get stupid with someoneís privacy.
    Last edited by Magdump; January 24th, 2021 at 09:36 AM.
    Doesnít play well with TROLLS...

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jlong1691 View Post
    No, no it is not. I don’t sun bathe naked next to the road. I do it behind my 6’ privacy fence, in my massive back yard. I respect the public road, because noone wants to see my pale ass. Respect my privacy fence or run the risks. If you are so big budget, pay the people whose property you want to film the sunset on. I’d bet you’d be recieved a little more warmly.
    I bet the private pilots that operate small airplanes in the area love flying over your house.

And if you take some retaliatory action against someone operating an aircraft over your house, then the "risks" will be entirely yours.

Apparently, a lot of people out there don't value their freedoms and the rule of law.

Mike
    ΦΒΚ. Honi soit qui mal y pense.

Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

Oh man, this vid is awesome

https://youtu.be/7u9hFluSkHc

If these fools can make these work then my wife should be able to with no sweat.

https://youtu.be/3lAOEHBlAa0
    Last edited by Magdump; January 24th, 2021 at 10:02 AM.
    Doesnít play well with TROLLS...