Join BayouShooter For Free
Meplat

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 91011 ... LastLast
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Passed General with 35/35. Tried for Extra, no study, and got 30 right. Will probably take it again in March.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Congrats on passing the General Class and also congrats on attempting the Extra Class ticket. Which gave you a taste of what to expect. ..Now since you have been in the study mode do not stop but keep after the studying and get after that Extra Ticket. And yes I know that I need to get off my backside and start studying again for the Extra ticket Because of the study guides and sample testing available today makes it a lot easier than when I got my 1st ticket . ................................ de..KL7JIU..aka.. drill sgt.

Not a Fed.

User Info Menu

swampfoxx Congratulations on your upgrade. I was kind of in your area today and yesterday. Had to go to Slidell both days from the BR area. Had to talk to ole drill Sgt on the radio
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The problems we face today are
    there because the people who work
    for a living are outnumbered by those
    who vote for a living.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I use this:

https://hamexam.org/

I usually start by going through the Question Pool and checking Highlight Answers to get them burned into my head. Then I use the Flash Cards for several hours, then take the practice test. You can take the test as many times as you want and it is different every time. I also use this:

https://www.qrz.com/hamtest/

If you sign in, it will keep track of what you miss and recommend areas of study.

My question is, where do I go next? Base? Mobile? Single band radio? Dual band? Tri band? Recommendations are appreciated.

Sportsman 'N' Paradise

User Info Menu

About to pull the trigger on a ic 7300, i have a less than a month old ic ic 718 i wont need.

Sportsman 'N' Paradise

User Info Menu

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

I just snagged an IC-718. Iím trying to come up with a low profile HOA proof antenna. This should be fun.
    My infraction list makes me laugh every time I read it.

Sportsman 'N' Paradise

User Info Menu

Sweet! If you know anyone else wants a nib 718 let me know! Also interested to know what antenna you go with. Im running a 135ft end fed.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JR1572 View Post
    I just snagged an IC-718. I’m trying to come up with a low profile HOA proof antenna. This should be fun.
    ^^^^^^ Research your HOA deed restrictions carefully for actual loopholes.. Ours had No restrictions on external anteannas . Example:: In July 2006 bought into a HOA after much research and 2 weeks after actually moving in a multi-band HF ground vertical was installed in back yard but without coax feedline connected. Also had a homemade multi-band HF OCF wire (inverted v- lazy Z lay out configuration) (135 ft length) configured inside the attic. Used this for almost 1 1/2yrs before the HOA came knocking at my front door and I proceeded to explain that they needed to check the dates that we purchased and the HOA DEED Restrictions on the date of purchase and if they wanted to carry this any farther they would need to get a Federal Court Attorney because I would take it straight to Federal Court since I was a legally licesened Ham Operator and would fight their actions. At this point they immediately left my property to never be heard from again. Now the HOA Restrictions have been modified to show that prior approval for external anteannas must be granted by the Board but now they are allowed. I used their own written rules/regs to my benefit. ....... And you would be suprised the results that can be obtained from a homemade antenna made out of wire. Towers with rotateable beams are not mandatory but sometime you use what you have to work with .................................................. ................ drill sgt.
    Last edited by drill sgt; March 12th, 2021 at 02:26 PM.

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drill sgt View Post
    ^^^^^^ Research your HOA deed restrictions carefully for actual loopholes.. Ours had No restrictions on external anteannas . Example:: In July 2006 bought into a HOA after much research and 2 weeks after actually moving in a multi-band HF ground vertical was installed in back yard but without coax feedline connected. Also had a homemade multi-band HF OCF wire (inverted v- lazy Z lay out configuration) (135 ft length) configured inside the attic. Used this for almost 1 1/2yrs before the HOA came knocking at my front door and I proceeded to explain that they needed to check the dates that we purchased and the HOA DEED Restrictions on the date of purchase and if they wanted to carry this any farther they would need to get a Federal Court Attorney because I would take it straight to Federal Court since I was a legally licesened Ham Operator and would fight their actions. At this point they immediately left my property to never be heard from again. Now the HOA Restrictions have been modified to show that prior approval for external anteannas must be granted by the Board but now they are allowed. I used their own written rules/regs to my benefit. ....... And you would be suprised the results that can be obtained from a homemade antenna made out of wire. Towers with rotateable beams are not mandatory but sometime you use what you have to work with .................................................. ................ drill sgt.
    The only external antennas allowed are for satellite tv. Theyíre rather specific.

Our home is less than 4 years old and has a radiant barrier insulation inside the attic.

Iím exploring other stealth options too.
    My infraction list makes me laugh every time I read it.