Join BayouShooter For Free
Meplat

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 89
    Sportsman 'N' Paradise

User Info Menu

Well ice and cold kept UPS away today... No FTM-400xdr for me.

I was going to order the FT3d to upgrade my HT, but I think I will get a IC-718 instead. I have a RTLplay sdr on the way and want to pair it with that for computer control with a waterfall.

What you guys think?

Time Traveler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrummer View Post
    Soon radios will be like ammo.
    And along that logic, I'm wondering if they'll eventually be cause for that "special knock on the door". I might have once owned a Wouxun KG-UV3D and built my own version of a Kenwood mobile 2 meter "Hammo-Can". A well known local ham op programmed the HT so I can listen, have yet (going on half a decade now) to get my tech ticket bc I have this notion that the one reliable method of comms could magically become the property of another at the stroke of a pen. No tinfoil here -just a casual observer watching things getting weirder and weirder. What say ye?

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by foz1359 View Post
    And along that logic, I'm wondering if they'll eventually be cause for that "special knock on the door". I might have once owned a Wouxun KG-UV3D and built my own version of a Kenwood mobile 2 meter "Hammo-Can". A well known local ham op programmed the HT so I can listen, have yet (going on half a decade now) to get my tech ticket bc I have this notion that the one reliable method of comms could magically become the property of another at the stroke of a pen. No tinfoil here -just a casual observer watching things getting weirder and weirder. What say ye?
    I say you need a couple more layers of tin foil

On Target

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSlater View Post
    Well ice and cold kept UPS away today... No FTM-400xdr for me.

I was going to order the FT3d to upgrade my HT, but I think I will get a IC-718 instead. I have a RTLplay sdr on the way and want to pair it with that for computer control with a waterfall.

What you guys think?
    Got my ticket at the end of January and ordered a FT3D last week. I wanted a HT that I could take in the woods/use mobile/ use at home. Plus I wanted to play with APRS and wiresx so that lead me to my purchase. It was supposed to be delivered on Mardi Gras but its lost in UPS land.

For a hobby that was supposed to be cheap, this sure is turning into another money pit pretty quick. I've got the want for a VX 8DR next.

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marinetaco01 View Post
    I've got the want for a VX 8DR next.
    Me too.
    My infraction list makes me laugh every time I read it.

Sportsman 'N' Paradise

User Info Menu

Buy once, cry once. I keep telling myself that anyway.

I did finally receive my ftm400xdr, still waiting on some key components to come in. Along with a ic-718. Says its all scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Should look like a shipping company trade show.

Been trying to learn the sdrplay sdr and sdr uno. Looks very promising.

Trying to figure out what to use for a antenna mast that I can get local. A fence rail has been suggested but I dont have a way to get something like that to the shack. I can get about 10 ft off the ground using a satellite mast mount thing. Its a 4ft comet gp1.
    Last edited by MikeSlater; February 21st, 2021 at 12:35 PM.

Sportsman 'N' Paradise

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Abear View Post
    I say you need a couple more layers of tin foil
    I got my hf stuff in, got it hooked up last night. Been monitoring that repeater you use but no traffic. I can hit it though. HF wise I havent made a contact on the small sliver a tech ticket can use. listening on 28.4 . Picking up alot of other things, pretty cool. I might need a better antenna though.

User Info Menu

Download an app called “HAM test prep”. This apps will give you the test questions to study and you can take practice test.

There is a local ham radio club that gives test once every two months. They are having a testing on this Saturday. The link to the website is below.

http://www.k5sar.com/index.html

Sportsman 'N' Paradise

User Info Menu

Yes sir, I used hamradioprep.com to study for the tech, havent hit the books for the general license yet. I took my test out in springfield.

Not a Fed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSlater View Post
    I got my hf stuff in, got it hooked up last night. Been monitoring that repeater you use but no traffic. I can hit it though. HF wise I havent made a contact on the small sliver a tech ticket can use. listening on 28.4 . Picking up alot of other things, pretty cool. I might need a better antenna though.
    Get on the repeater below at 8pm tonight Wed. That is the MissLou club repeater we have the net at 8pm all ham are welcome to check in. You do not have to be a club member to check in or just to talk on it. I'll be on the road I'll check in mobile.

Downlink: 146.83500
    Uplink: 146.23500
    Offset: -0.6 MHz
    Uplink Tone: 114.8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The problems we face today are
    there because the people who work
    for a living are outnumbered by those
    who vote for a living.