CS

Page 1 of 13 1211 ... LastLast
    Sportsman 'N' Paradise

User Info Menu

Ham Radio info??

Hi all!

I am interested in getting my ham radio license, does anyone have some info on how,where to do that?

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSlater View Post
    Hi all!

I am interested in getting my ham radio license, does anyone have some info on how,where to do that?
    SELARC is the local ham radio group, they are very helpful. Long story short, anyone can go take the exam so it’s on you to study the materials. You can either buy the official ARRL books and learn the material that way (which I personally recommend as it acts like a great reference manual as well), or you can just use any free online study guides/practice exams.

I don’t know what their current exam schedule is with all the Covid stuff, but I’d reach out to them and they’ll let you know. They’re a good resource and very enthusiastic about helping people get into the hobby.

https://www.selarc.org

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sportsman 'N' Paradise

User Info Menu

Awesome! thanks for the info!

Marksman

User Info Menu

If you still have my ph. #, give me a call

Sportsman 'N' Paradise

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Abear View Post
    If you still have my ph. #, give me a call
    Hey Mr Danny! Will do, I still have your #, will give you a all tomorrow!

Marksman

User Info Menu

from the SELARC page...

Florida Parishes VE Group - tests are scheduled for the last Sunday of each month [with the exception of holiday conflicts] in the location 26890 Hwy 42, Springfield, La. 70462 at 2pm with $15 testing fee. Bring photo ID and any appropriate CSCE. For more information contact n5xes@arrl.net or Find an Amateur Radio License Exam in Your Area.

n5xes is Tyrone Burns and he administers the tests. He only does testing. if you need some kind of training, he may be able to direct you to someone. Many local clubs would do some license prep type classes once in a while, but the China virus has put a damper on a lot of in person activity.

I would suggest taking practice exams online. You will be able to determine what areas you need to study. The tests consist of 50 questions pulled from a larger pool of questions. They are all multiple choice and the answers are always the same, meaning if a particular question's answer is "a". the answer will always be the first choice or "a". i wouldn't suggest just learning the questions, but some people do just that. If you take the online practice tests long enough, you will learn the answers even if you don't know the theory. The test pool is the same that Tyrone would administer in his session. There are lots of things covered in the question pools that may not be pertinent to your interests. I had to learn morse code to pass the test required to operate voice on HF. Thank goodness they eliminated that. Good luck with it and if you fail, you may be able to take another test immediately but will have to pay another fee ( probably). Some people come in and take all three tests sequentially in the same sitting. Separate fee for each.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Define CSCE please.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by swampfoxx View Post
    Define CSCE please.
    Certificate of Successful Completion of Exam

Basiclly showing your existing lic. when you test to upgrade it.
    Last edited by Danny Abear; January 26th, 2021 at 07:44 PM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

10-4. Thanks

Not a Fed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by El Rubio View Post
    from the SELARC page...

Florida Parishes VE Group - tests are scheduled for the last Sunday of each month [with the exception of holiday conflicts] in the location 26890 Hwy 42, Springfield, La. 70462 at 2pm with $15 testing fee. Bring photo ID and any appropriate CSCE. For more information contact n5xes@arrl.net or Find an Amateur Radio License Exam in Your Area.

n5xes is Tyrone Burns and he administers the tests. He only does testing. if you need some kind of training, he may be able to direct you to someone. Many local clubs would do some license prep type classes once in a while, but the China virus has put a damper on a lot of in person activity.

I would suggest taking practice exams online. You will be able to determine what areas you need to study. The tests consist of 50 questions pulled from a larger pool of questions. They are all multiple choice and the answers are always the same, meaning if a particular question's answer is "a". the answer will always be the first choice or "a". i wouldn't suggest just learning the questions, but some people do just that. If you take the online practice tests long enough, you will learn the answers even if you don't know the theory. The test pool is the same that Tyrone would administer in his session. There are lots of things covered in the question pools that may not be pertinent to your interests. I had to learn morse code to pass the test required to operate voice on HF. Thank goodness they eliminated that. Good luck with it and if you fail, you may be able to take another test immediately but will have to pay another fee ( probably). Some people come in and take all three tests sequentially in the same sitting. Separate fee for each.
    I heard them on the Hammond net last night talking about the test in Springfield
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The problems we face today are
    there because the people who work
    for a living are outnumbered by those
    who vote for a living.