Join BayouShooter For Free
Meplat

nagor

User Info Menu

shipping priority mail

I see lots of ads on this forum and others where a private party selling a gun
    offers shipping to the buyers FFL by priority mail.

I thought you could only ship through an FFL.
    How are these people going about shipping priority mail?

La. CHP Instructor #409

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nagor View Post
    I see lots of ads on this forum and others where a private party selling a gun
    offers shipping to the buyers FFL by priority mail.

I thought you could only ship through an FFL.
    How are these people going about shipping priority mail?
    An FFL can ship through the mail. Non FFL's can not.

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Firearms do not have to be shipped by an FFL. They can be shipped by an individual through FedEx or UPS. Some stores have different policies, so call ahead and find out if it's kosher with that particular store.

You are not supposed to ship a firearm by USPS policy. It's not a law. They will refuse it if you tell them it's a firearm. I have shipped tons of parts (non-firearms) through USPS.

Long guns CAN be shipped by mail, but each location has weird policies. I have seen the local hub refuse a shotgun that was in a Remington box.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-...postal-service
    Last edited by DAVE_M; February 4th, 2021 at 06:29 PM.

Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

Iíve had good luck shipping firearms back to manufacturers and to FFLís via the FedEx hub in BR. Nothing special to do, just communicate with receiving and be sure of your insured value.
    Doesnít play well with TROLLS...

Marksman

User Info Menu

For individuals shipping handguns to an FFL, you can't use USPS. I'd recommend https://www.shipmygun.com. Price is very fair and you can just drop it off at a UPS shipping center. I've used it multiple times and cost has ranged from $20.00-45.00 for 2 day air depending on the value of your gun and insurance. Better than shipping overnight air and paying over $150.00+ dollars by yourself.

nagor

User Info Menu

I'll look into it, Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hkump View Post
    For individuals shipping handguns to an FFL, you can't use USPS. I'd recommend https://www.shipmygun.com. Price is very fair and you can just drop it off at a UPS shipping center. I've used it multiple times and cost has ranged from $20.00-45.00 for 2 day air depending on the value of your gun and insurance. Better than shipping overnight air and paying over $150.00+ dollars by yourself.

I'll look into it
    Thanks for the good info

On Target

User Info Menu

Unless something has changed, I understood that you can ship a rifle and shotguns along as it is in state, but once it goes out of the state, it needs to go to a FFL

Marksman

User Info Menu

Machine parts

La. CHP Instructor #409

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by swampfoxx View Post
    Machine parts
    I see what you did.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iomg8 View Post
    Unless something has changed, I understood that you can ship a rifle and shotguns along as it is in state, but once it goes out of the state, it needs to go to a FFL
    I have not read the rules lately as I have not wanted to do this, but once I read that you may ship a long gun to yourself in another state via USPS, with the requirement that it is addressed to you, adult signature required, and the package may only be opened by you. Some would want to do this when hunting out of state, etc.
    Last edited by lesgeaux; March 30th, 2021 at 05:14 PM.