Join BayouShooter For Free
Brass

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456 LastLast
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Magdump View Post
    I donít want to cop bash here, but I learned long ago that cops are under zero expectation to tell the truth, unless under oath. Iíve also learned that they will exploit that fact to the extreme if it suits their whims or agenda.
    Iíve also seen countless incidents, stories, videos, etc where people would have been better served by simply not involving law enforcement in their every little personal squabble.
    That being said, long ago, I decided that I will not open my door to police unless itís clear that they have a warrant in hand. I will not call police or invite police to my home unless I am faced with a problem that I feel can or should only be handled by law enforcement and at such time, I will be fully prepared to accept the outcome and consequences of opening that door. Except where bound by law, I will not talk to police without an attorney present and unless my attorney advises me to do so. I will not willingly give up any of my constitutional or civil or God given rights at any time to any individual for any reason.

As to the OPís question, I believe the officers were being officers.
    first let me say I support the boys in blue so Iím not the one who is going to bash the guys I stand behind however I full heartedly agree with everything you said and handle things the same way myself.

hell I donít wanna open the door for my friends who are cops when they knock on it damn sure donít wanna open it for one I donít know lol.

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jstudzinski View Post
    first let me say I support the boys in blue so I’m not the one who is going to bash the guys I stand behind however I full heartedly agree with everything you said and handle things the same way myself.

hell I don’t wanna open the door for my friends who are cops when they knock on it damn sure don’t wanna open it for one I don’t know lol.
    You don’t open the door for your friends?

Marksman

User Info Menu

Man how did I know this thread was going to turn into cops getting upset because civilians call out the shady practices the vast majority do while on duty lol. Is it legal for a cop to lie to your face ? Maybe so but that surly doesnít make it right and should imo be something that should be looked at to be overturned. I mean seriously how crazy is that? I donít see a law for civilians to be able to lie to cops to avoid snot arrest lol

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    You don’t open the door for your friends?
    It was a poor attempt at humor and inside joke with a member here who happens to be a cop.

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

It was a poor attempt at humor and inside joke with a member here who happens to be a cop.
    Oh, ok.

I'm assuming it's another member, since Magdump, who you quoted, isn't a cop.

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkpugs View Post
    Sooooo, the man was on the way to be mentally evaluated so he was not a threat to anyone except the ambulance driver . The wife was at home and safe unless the man is dangerous and escapes or the hospital decides he is crazy but turns him loose anyway . If one of those things happen she can always use one of the guns to protect herself . Oh , that is right she can't defend herself because the cops took her means of protection .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk
    That's an issue you should take up with the officers who were there and their supervisor who approved the confiscation.

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

Man how did I know this thread was going to turn into cops getting upset because civilians call out the shady practices the vast majority do while on duty lol. Is it legal for a cop to lie to your face ? Maybe so but that surly doesn’t make it right and should imo be something that should be looked at to be overturned. I mean seriously how crazy is that? I don’t see a law for civilians to be able to lie to cops to avoid snot arrest lol
    I don't believe I could disagree with you more. Two situations immediately come to mind and they both involve the safety of the officers and the public.

1. Undercover cop is about to buy a stolen gun from someone. The guy turns to the cop and asks "are you a cop?"
    2. As the cops are about to put a potentially uncooperative guy in handcuffs, he asks "am I going to jail?"

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    Oh, ok.

I'm assuming it's another member, since Magdump, who you quoted, isn't a cop.
    Your correct

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thperez1972 View Post
    I don't believe I could disagree with you more. Two situations immediately come to mind and they both involve the safety of the officers and the public.

1. Undercover cop is about to buy a stolen gun from someone. The guy turns to the cop and asks "are you a cop?"
    2. As the cops are about to put a potentially uncooperative guy in handcuffs, he asks "am I going to jail?"
    Theirs am exception to every rule my friend. I agree in the first situation you present however to recommend someone go get a physic check and they say they don’t need to as well as the spouse and then lie to the individual and say we won’t take your guns then do just that as soon as the guy leaves is wrong. That’s definitely an instance where they should be required to give proper information or be held accountable imo. The second situation I don’t think they should be allowed to lie to the individual just to make their job easier. If you are going to arrest someone who you just asked to cuff and they then say am I under arrest I feel that should constitute a truthful answer. Some would argue even the first situation could be considered entrapment. I could care less about entrapment personally. Don’t be tempted to do illegal things and you won’t have to worry about being tricked into doing them.

I will say and I’m sure most also picked up on this, as soon as I read the part of the article where the gentleman asked if his guns would be seized the first thing I thought was absolutely they will be.
    Last edited by Jstudzinski; February 20th, 2021 at 08:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrummer View Post
    Are they really allowed to lie to someone unless under oath?
    yes.