Join BayouShooter For Free
Brass

Certified gun nut!

User Info Menu

American Tactical lower Pmags not dropping free

Specifically 20 rd gen 2 Pmags loaded won't drop free. They work just fine in all my other rifles and they aren't damaged or deformed that I can see. Visually the mags look fine, short of measuring the width on the mag @ the feed lips they look identical to the gen 3. They work fine when inserted into the lower only. I tried all my mags, 20 & 30 rd metal, 20 rd gen 3 and 30 rd gen 2's work fine. All my other AR's they work fine in. I even went so far as to swap combinations of upper/lowers around to check function all other combo's works fine, all mags drop free. This is a new unfired build with a upper from Geaux Armory and the American Tactical lower. The mags will pull right out easily, its just when trying to drop the mags free during my drills to clear my weapon I wish they would drop free. Not a big deal, just confused why this is happening.
    God Bless the USA!!
    If guns are outlawed then only outlaws will have guns!!
    Support your 2nd Amendment rights, buy plenty of guns and ammo while you can!

I'm NOT the award winning AK guru we all love and adore, I'm just plain ole Bam Bam, maybe #2 Bam Bam, but definitely not #1bambam!

enthusiast

User Info Menu

Some lowers arenít cut properly and can be tight along the rear edge. Usually an aluminum or steel mag will work just fine but gen 2 pmags can be tight on those.
    Stephen

Certified gun nut!

User Info Menu

Funny thing is I'm not too crazy about this particular lower. It was all I could find at the time so I bought it. It had a few "issues" when I put it together like the buffer tube retaining pin hole needed to be reamed out slightly, the bolt release roll pin hole was too tight and same with the trigger guard. I've never had issues with any other upper or lower before. Guess I'll know to stay away from that brand next time. I think once I get this rifle broken in I may swap uppers and lowers around to get around that. Not really a problem, it just slowed me down while doing my "clearing "drills. Thanks for the info.
    God Bless the USA!!

I'm NOT the award winning AK guru we all love and adore, I'm just plain ole Bam Bam, maybe #2 Bam Bam, but definitely not #1bambam!

enthusiast

User Info Menu

use metal mags... may remedy your issue....
    Stephen

Certified gun nut!

User Info Menu

Yes, my metal mags work fine, but I prefer Pmags. Been buying a few gen 3's lately which work fine.
    God Bless the USA!!

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Itís common for lowers to have an improperly cut magwell.

You wonít find a USGI magwell gauge to check, but if Gen 2 PMAGís are not dropping free, thatís a no-go for sure.

Try some quality aluminum magazines. If you prefer PMAGís and the lower is not compatible, you have found the issue.
    Last edited by DAVE_M; February 20th, 2021 at 11:53 PM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Are you sure you have the mag release adjustment out far enough that it is not draging on the magazine ? Adjust it out a couple of turns ( be sure it doesn't come far enough out to hang up on side of upper ) and try it . That is usually the problem. Also AT have great CS and quick turnaround if there is a problem but since you already worked on the lower they may not replace it .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ozarkpugs; February 21st, 2021 at 09:31 AM.