Join BayouShooter For Free
CS

Marksman

User Info Menu

Opinions from those who know

For several years I’ve been perfecting my 16* 5.56 carbine. It started as a basic 80% budget build. In the last few yrs I’ve replaced/upgraded everything to higher mid tier/lower top tier products as I’ve tried different parts with other peoples rifles and liked the way they worked. Anyway, I’m ditching my Holosun red dot in favor of a Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x32 scope, and adding a Harris bi-pod to the mix. I’m thinking the optic should be more than enough when you consider max effective range for the 5.56 round. Would I be correct in this thinking? I’m 37yrs old white pretty good eyesight as long my glasses are on. Lol.
    If you are so proud of where you're from that you fly your flag everywhere, please go back there. Your flag offends me! American lives Matter!

Support LEO........
    Provide Backup!

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

The Diamondback series of optics from Vortex are on the lower end and the 1.75-5x32 is an odd scope choice if you're looking for a do-all rifle.

Choose an optic that fits your needs and buy the best that optic that fits within your budget. If you're not regularly shooting 200, 300, 400, 500+ yards, don't be concerned with an optic that is "capable" at that distance, because just about every low power optic on the market is "capable" at those distances. NRA High Power matches are shot at 600 with iron sights on a 20" gun. Find out WHY you desire more magnification. You're going to hate a 1.75x optic at closer distances.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Mainly just a range toy. I’m not a hunter, except for an open opportunity of a coyote wandering into my yard or something. I’m not LEO and I don’t shoot matches or anything. For self defense, I have 2 pistols that I rotate. Don’t really see myself ever getting into a situation where I’d NEED a rifle for SD. (Unless our political climate worsens lol). I agree, it is an odd choice for a optic magnification but hey, if I don’t like it, like you said, lower end of their scale. I can put it on another rifle and move on to something a little better. Lol. That’s the kind of input I was hoping for. Thx....
    Last edited by KDerekT83; February 21st, 2021 at 07:39 PM.
    If you are so proud of where you're from that you fly your flag everywhere, please go back there. Your flag offends me! American lives Matter!

Support LEO........
    Provide Backup!

Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

Thatís plenty of scope for a 16 inch carbine if youíre trying to keep it mobile and stick with the intended purpose, a light mobile carbine. I do see folks build benchrest or long range rifles starting with a carbine gassed 16 inch barrel but there are far better choices for going that route. That being said, for general purpose, plinking/hunting/target/defense I think your scope choice is good. Decent magnification, lifetime warranty.
    Also, I like bipods for longer range rifles, not so much for carbines but I see that a lot. Atlas makes great stuff. If I wanted to throw a bipod on a 16 inch carbine My pitch would be the Magpul for the lighter weight.
    Doesnít play well with TROLLS...

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Magdump View Post
    That’s plenty of scope for a 16 inch carbine if you’re trying to keep it mobile and stick with the intended purpose, a light mobile carbine. I do see folks build benchrest or long range rifles starting with a carbine gassed 16 inch barrel but there are far better choices for going that route. That being said, for general purpose, plinking/hunting/target/defense I think your scope choice is good. Decent magnification, lifetime warranty.
    Also, I like bipods for longer range rifles, not so much for carbines but I see that a lot. Atlas makes great stuff. If I wanted to throw a bipod on a 16 inch carbine My pitch would be the Magpul for the lighter weight.
    i considered the magpul bipod when I was looking at different types online earlier today before I placed my order. All I kept thinking was about this forum, where the praises for Harris Bipods are abundant. Did some looking online and couldn’t find a single bad review about them. The magpul was cheaper to... oh well. Lol
    Last edited by KDerekT83; February 21st, 2021 at 07:59 PM.

Support LEO........
    Provide Backup!

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Bipods on AR-15’s, especially 16* guns, are more of a hinderance than a benefit.

It’s really unnecessary outside of a niche application and if you’re only planning to use it at the range, you would be better suited with a proper rest and some bags.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I use bi pods from time to time shooting out of hunting blinds on my 12.5 16" 18" and 20" ARs . but when just kicking around the farm or hiking the woods I don't need them in my way and prefer a shooting stick . The trigger stick tripod really comes in handy if a armidello or coyote pops up and I'm shooting standing .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk