Join BayouShooter For Free
Brass

On Target

User Info Menu

Home Electrical Question

I am installing a new water heater and found this stranded copper wire line in my attic. Previous owner cut it. One end connects to nothing and it runs the length of my attic and goes into my breaker box. It was cut off near the existing electric water heater. It is grounded in my electrical box.

Does anyone know what this was used for? Looked up water heater electrical diagrams and nothing comes up for this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210222_111500220.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	235.0 KB 
ID:	103502   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210223_094424384.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	258.8 KB 
ID:	103503  
    Last edited by Xeon64; February 23rd, 2021 at 09:49 AM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

thats a number 6 Thhn... thhn is just the insulation rating #6 is good for around 50-55 amps

that is a single wire, not a multicable.. so maybe was used for a ground or 2 others at one time were pulled with it for your 2 hots and a neutral
    Last edited by Bigchillin83; February 23rd, 2021 at 09:51 AM.

On Target

User Info Menu

10-2 with no ground is what connects my water heater. This is not the original water heater in the house so maybe at one time they had the water heater grounded to it. Since it is grounded to my panel I may use it again with the new water heater.

Marksman

User Info Menu

yup thats a ground... prob had a 50 amp plus hot water heater and a dedicated ground is required and a minimum one size under

- - - Updated - - -

yup will just be alot of over kill, but much easier and cheaper than buying new wire and running it

Marksman

User Info Menu

who knows... newer hot water heaters are alot more efficient... so what then was a 65 gal hot water heater might have needed a 75amp breaker and now they only need a 40amp...

On Target

User Info Menu

Thanks. That makes sense now. I have a 50 gallon currently that is on a 30 amp breaker. I am going to a gas powered tankless so I am just going to use it to ground the tankless water heater.

Mystery solved. Been looking at that stupid wire for 10 years wondering what it was for.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Also,
    ...depending on where you live, when the house was built, and the type of plumbing pipes that you have...
    In many areas the AHJ will require bonding together of the piping systems in the house. Usually it is done at a water heater because in a single place you have a cold water pipe, a hot water pipe and if installed, a gas pipe. This insures that all pipes are grounded to the same point.

Otherwise its possible for pipes that have separate ground points to create a potential difference (a voltage) between them.

Naturally this is irrelevant for someone who has plastic hot/cold supply lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk