Join BayouShooter For Free
Meplat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    On Target

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kraut View Post
    *… The men and women of the Ithaca Police Department have performed their duties with admirable skill and professionalism, but for too long the answer to every human behavioral problem in our City has been to call the police,* Myrick said. He called that practice *impractical* and *cumbersome,* and said it exacerbates homelessness, mental illness and addiction."

That's a true statement, in that the police are not the solution to every human behavioral problem, but the police don't call themselves to these issues, and for the issues that truly are a police issue, there really isn't another solution. The second part of the statement is insane gobble-dy-gook, the police in no way exacerbate homelessness, mental illness, and addiction.
    I am thinking he means, arresting someone that is homeless, mentally ill, and/or addictions and not helping them doesn't solve the problem. So arresting them, putting them in jail, and releasing them without any help, they go back to doing what they did before

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iomg8 View Post
    I am thinking he means, arresting someone that is homeless, mentally ill, and/or addictions and not helping them doesn't solve the problem. So arresting them, putting them in jail, and releasing them without any help, they go back to doing what they did before
    Precisely.

We ask the police to do far too much (and to add insult to injury—with far too little), and then we scratch our heads and wonder why problems persist.

Part of the motivation to do this is to deal with the real root issues of problems. Where there are indeed some sociopaths in our society that will simply commit evil acts without provocation, it's far more likely that criminal behavior—even violent criminal behavior—stems from other issues. Poverty, homelessness, and undiagnosed (and untreated) mental illness are all a part of this.

Nobody is saying that a social worker should respond to a live shooter ... but why should a police officer respond to a mental health crisis? That's like sending in a screwdriver to hammer nails.

Mike
    ΦΒΚ. Honi soit qui mal y pense.

LEO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iomg8 View Post
    Re-reading the quote a little slower and more closely (I tend to breeze along pretty fast sometimes), it says that "that practice" of "call the police" for every problem is what exacerbates homelessness, mental illness, and addiction. Okay, I'm down with "calling for every problem" as being a problem, believe me, I've had my fill of people who can't solve day to day life. But what I hear in the undertones of quotes like the one I originally referred to, and tend to take a little personal offense at, is that somehow the police are to blame for not being able to solve the problems, that are not supposed to be theirs to solve in the first place, when they are called to solve them for those who have no solution to offer themselves. Maybe it's because of the time I've spent with these very issues, and the ever present (especially heightened and ramped-up currently) damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't lens which is constantly focused on cops, and maybe I'm reading too much into what was there, but it just struck a nerve with me.

Marksman

User Info Menu

LEO are definitely expected to do way to much. Adults have gotten to the point that they use the “I’ll call the cops” line worse and more so than the wimpy kid crying, “I’m telling mommy!”.....
    If you are so proud of where you're from that you fly your flag everywhere, please go back there. Your flag offends me! American lives Matter!

Support LEO........
    Provide Backup!