Join BayouShooter For Free
Meplat

Page 1 of 17 1211 ... LastLast
    Been there, done that

User Info Menu

This might start an argument....

How many of you think an AR-15, using 5.56x45 ammo, is a good home defense weapon? You really ought to check out this well done video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_Xv6kjKpE4

I was astounded. This brings up the issue of penetration power. If I were ever in a worst case self-defense scenario I want the bullet to come to rest inside the threat. No one wants to endanger innocent lives and property on its other side. What are your thoughts about this?

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Rule #4 doesn’t change depending on what firearm you have.

Overpenetration is a term that describes what the projectile does after if penetrates the intended target.

Everything will go through walls. Don’t miss.

To add, I'm less concerned with over penetration and penetration through walls and more concerned with being able to put rounds on target.

Something you are proficient with will trump whatever caliber or ammunition type you choose. It's pointless if you can't hit anything and I don't specifically plan to miss by choosing ammunition that won't penetrate a wall. If it doesn't penetrate drywall, it won't be amazing in a human. I have the most training with a pistol, followed by a rifle, followed by a shotgun. It's very unlikely I will grab a shotgun.
    Last edited by DAVE_M; March 2nd, 2021 at 05:54 PM.

I despise ARFCOM

Premium Member

User Info Menu

It's going to be a personal preference thing . I have no use for my AR as an INSIDE home defense weapon . Do whatever suits you though .
    I tried being normal once , I didn't like it .

On Target

User Info Menu

I never thought of an ar or ak as a defensive inside home weapon. I figured a hand gun or shotgun would be better.

Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    How many of you think an AR-15, using 5.56x45 ammo, is a good home defense weapon? You really ought to check out this well done video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_Xv6kjKpE4

I was astounded. This brings up the issue of penetration power. If I were ever in a worst case self-defense scenario I want the bullet to come to rest inside the threat. No one wants to endanger innocent lives and property on its other side. What are your thoughts about this?
    No argument from me. I know my house well enough to not shoot toward my family in the event of a break in, but that won’t save the neighbors. No AR in house for me. We prefer 12 and 20ga #4 and #3 buck. Most everything will penetrate walls to some extent, but rifle rounds traveling at 3k fps are a little excessive in the penetration department.
    Doesnít play well with TROLLS...

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Marksman

User Info Menu

Use what you have.
    Those who live by the sword, get shot by those who don't.

Tim

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Like Dave said, ANY round from ANY home defense capable firearm will penetrate through walls. Use the gun you perform the most proficiently with and be aware of whatís behind your target.

Havenít pulled this link up in years, but still a great resource: https://www.theboxotruth.com/tag/original-chapters/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Been there, done that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    I think this guy in the video doesn't get it. He mocks concern about over penetration. If you shoot at the threat and miss and hit a bystander, no particular cartridge is going to help you. But if I pull the trigger in a self defense situation, inside or outside the home, I probably won't have time to worry about where the bullet will go if it continues out the back of the threat. I want that consideration addressed, to the extent possible, before I ever encounter trouble. That means I want a cartridge that I know will have the best chance of stopping inside the threat. That means lower velocity, lighter bullet, softer tip, greater expansion. Some cartridges are far better choices, assuming over penetration is a concern for you. I'm sure it is for all of us.

Marksman

User Info Menu

If all you had was a small pocket .22lr or say .25acp over penetration is still a concern. It comes down to training with what you have, using whatever firearm your better with, having a plan, and knowing the layout near and around you. Just my .02

I do agree any rifle round in a house would be a little much in my situation and probably for most who have neighbors or kids.
    Last edited by Jstudzinski; March 2nd, 2021 at 07:08 PM.