Meplat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    On Target

User Info Menu

Advice on selling firearms online auction type sites.

I have four pistols I want to sell and get the best price for. I figure the online auction sites (gunsamerica, gunbroker etc) would allow me to get a broader market and better price. I have never sold a firearm online. Anybody out there have any advice or tips from there experiences doing it? I know the firearm needs to be mailed to an FFL dealer etc. What is the best way to do that? Which carrier service does it? I am in the New Orleans area. Any bad experiences selling guns online?
    Thanks for any assistance.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Just be advised that if you sell them through gunbroker or another online selling site, they will charge you a fee for doing so. Also, gunbroker will also charge you tax for the sell as well. As for shipping, you can not ship a handgun by USPS yourself. The only way you can do that is if you have an ffl ship it for you. If the recieving ffl will accept shipment directly from you, then your option is either UPS or Fedex and they usually require overnight air shipments on handguns which is quite pricey.

La. CHP Instructor #409

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Many Used Pistols on this forum are listed at a Premium Price.
    Do you expect more?

Marksman

User Info Menu

...sooo, whatcha selling?

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

It’s generally not worth it for individuals to sell on Gunbroker, due to taxes and fees associated, in addition to transfer fees and shipping costs, unless you have an extremely valuable item.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I agree Gunbroker is more for if you have a specialized item with a small market not a standard Glock, AR-15, etc.

Marksman

User Info Menu

It has been more than five years since I sold on gunbroker. People are paying stupid money on that site if you make your ad right and put up with the hoops you need to go through to sell there, which really is not that bad, but you have to consider all the info.
    To ship your long gun, you can go through USPS, it is a fact, they can not refuse you if you follow their rules. To ship a handgun, you have the usual rip off artists(aided by us.gov) UPS, FED-EX. But you do have an option to use Buds gunship shipping service, I forgot the name, but they seam reasonable in their prices compared to the ripoff artists. I think the Taxes on the sales is paid for by the buyer as usual, when really has the taxes for a sale been paid for by the seller.
    There are fees but in long run you make make much more on your sale there. At least there once the sale goes through your have a better chance of completing the sale with the highest bidder.

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

I'm with Mxav... whatcha selling? LOL we're both down the road from you

For about 1/10th the effort and hassle you could just put em up on the classifieds section in here and they'll be sold before you sit down for dinner. You might get another few bucks in an online marketplace, but that's going to evaporate in shipping and service fees anyway.

I use this template for a bill of sale: https://diyforms.net/wp-content/uplo...-Sale-Form.pdf -- Not legally required (yet) but it's a good practice to CYA keeping a record of the serial, date of transfer, and buyer's DL number.

La. CHP Instructor #409

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by southerncanuck View Post
    I'm with Mxav... whatcha selling? LOL we're both down the road from you

For about 1/10th the effort and hassle you could just put em up on the classifieds section in here and they'll be sold before you sit down for dinner. You might get another few bucks in an online marketplace, but that's going to evaporate in shipping and service fees anyway.

I use this template for a bill of sale: https://diyforms.net/wp-content/uplo...-Sale-Form.pdf -- Not legally required (yet) but it's a good practice to CYA keeping a record of the serial, date of transfer, and buyer's DL number.
    I have never seen a BOS with all that wording.

shootist

Premium Member

User Info Menu

I mostly window shop on gunbroker. I did get a really good deal on an old CZ 52. The guy said he was the retired USPS postmaster in the little town he lived in Oregon. He sent it to my FFL, FRC range in Baton Rouge, via Priority Mail. The gun almost fell out of the envelope, yeah soft USPS envelope, and he didn't put my name on it. In the end it was fine and I got a great deal. Don't do it that way...
    Keep your meathook off the boom button