Meplat

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1
    Newbie

    User Info Menu

    New Orleans Area: Beginner Training Needed

    I'm in the New Orleans area and looking for handgun safety instruction geared toward absolute beginners.

    Tips and leads on people you know to be good will be appreciated.

    Thank you.
    Last edited by parsifal; March 21st, 2021 at 09:37 AM.

  2. #2
    _________

    Premium Member

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by parsifal View Post
    I'm in the New Orleans area and looking for handgun safety instruction geared toward absolute beginners.

    Tips and leads on people you know to be good will be appreciated.

    Thank you.
    If you are willing to travel, FRC in Baton Rouge is well worth the trip. The offer training for new shooters that won’t have them jumping in the deep end.

    As for the immediate New Orleans area, I’m unaware of any training specific to new shooters.

  3. #3
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    If you are willing to travel, FRC in Baton Rouge is well worth the trip. The offer training for new shooters that won’t have them jumping in the deep end.

    As for the immediate New Orleans area, I’m unaware of any training specific to new shooters.
    I have no personal experience with FRC but I have heard and read good comments about them.

  4. #4
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    Ditto. I think there's a few shops scattered around New Orleans, but I've no firsthand experience of their training, nor have I heard from enough people to have any opinion.

    FRC is a well-run range with good trainers.

    Mike
    ΦΒΚ. Honi soit qui mal y pense.

  5. #5
    Marksman

    Premium Member

    User Info Menu

    Another vote for FRC. I'm also in New Orleans and I've driven up there for several classes, both small group and private. They're definitely the best within arm's reach and absolutely worth the gas money. Most of the local ranges just smash out concealed carry classes without offering regular training of much substance.

    https://www.frcbr.com/training-classes

    The First Time Shooter class would be fantastic, as would the NRA Pistol Basics.

    It also looks like they're doing a free 2-hour New Gun Owner workshop every MWF, which is brand new and pretty friggin cool of them to do.

    A good introductory program that'll give you a steep but safe learning curve would be something like the First Time Shooter class (4 hrs), then a 2-hour private lesson, then maybe something like the Draw Clinic (2 hrs) spaced a few weeks apart each, with about 20-30 minutes of dry fire training every day at home in between if you can make the time. The in-between time enables you to practice what you've learned and figure out what you want to learn next. Taking classes costs a few more bucks, but your progression will be much faster than taking the youtube-and-experiment route... good training is a phenomenal investment.

  6. #6
    _________

    Premium Member

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by southerncanuck View Post
    Another vote for FRC. I'm also in New Orleans and I've driven up there for several classes, both small group and private. They're definitely the best within arm's reach and absolutely worth the gas money. Most of the local ranges just smash out concealed carry classes without offering regular training of much substance.

    https://www.frcbr.com/training-classes

    The First Time Shooter class would be fantastic, as would the NRA Pistol Basics.

    It also looks like they're doing a free 2-hour New Gun Owner workshop every MWF, which is brand new and pretty friggin cool of them to do.

    A good introductory program that'll give you a steep but safe learning curve would be something like the First Time Shooter class (4 hrs), then a 2-hour private lesson, then maybe something like the Draw Clinic (2 hrs) spaced a few weeks apart each, with about 20-30 minutes of dry fire training every day at home in between if you can make the time. The in-between time enables you to practice what you've learned and figure out what you want to learn next. Taking classes costs a few more bucks, but your progression will be much faster than taking the youtube-and-experiment route... good training is a phenomenal investment.
    That's actually really awesome for them to be offering a free class for new shooters. I've heard good things about their classes geared towards kids as well.

  7. #7
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    Anybody know about the classes at St. Bernard indoor shooting range?

  8. #8
    On Target
    Site Sponsor

    User Info Menu

    Check with Phobos Solutions. They are in Metairie and cater to specific shooter types, from never touched a gun to advanced entry tactics. They really put on some good classes or personalized instruction.
    Advanced Laser Engraving of Louisiana
    sales@advancedlaseroflouisiana.com
    Insta - advancedlaser_of_la

  9. #9
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    Just find the biggest idiot on youtube with guns. Then watch his videos. And finally don't do that.

  10. #10
    oldbie

    Premium Member

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by WhereIsIt? View Post
    Anybody know about the classes at St. Bernard indoor shooting range?
    Thats what I was going to suggest. Contact the range.

    If you're willing to pay for a class I'd strongly suggest one of the concealed weapons courses, even if you don't plan on carrying now. It will cover all of the legalities of having to use a firearm in self defense. Well worth the money.
    "Be water, my friend..."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •