La. CHP Instructor #409

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Federal 9mm Ammunition.

Federal is selling 124gr. American Eagle 2 box limit shipped at $33 per box direct from Federal which is approximately 3 times what they sell the same ammunition to Distributors.
    Anyone wonder why they started selling direct to consumers?

Marksman

Silver Member

User Info Menu

I just bought 500 rounds for about $21 a box from a private seller, so that is not very tempting.
    I read somewhere months ago that Federal was not happy with certain ammo distributors who are price gouging small retailers(dealers, ranges.)

LEO

User Info Menu

I saw Federal 124gr. American Eagle ammo at Academy today for $18.99 a box, I bought the 115gr. Target variety for $17.99 a box. That 124gr. on the site that says $32.99 says "Indoor Range Training" and is a "reduced-lead" bullet. Directly underneath for $26.99 is 124gr. with no such specification, still higher than what Academy wanted, but the same box I paid $17.99 for was also $26.99 on the site, so hitting the stores on "truck days" might be the more economical option for now.

And $66.99 for 50 rounds of .357SIG!!! Glad I don't have that caliber! $82.99 for .44Mag JSP! I do own some of those, hope they get some to Academy for a discount!

Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 323MAR View Post
    I read somewhere months ago that Federal was not happy with certain ammo distributors who are price gouging small retailers(dealers, ranges.)
    So they decided to do the gouging themselves? $33 per box has got to be more than 4 times their cost. Maybe they’re just springing for overnight air? Man I’m glad I stocked up. My insane excess ain’t looking so crazy now.
    Doesnít play well with TROLLS...

Marksman

Silver Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Magdump View Post
    So they decided to do the gouging themselves? $33 per box has got to be more than 4 times their cost. Maybe they’re just springing for overnight air? Man I’m glad I stocked up. My insane excess ain’t looking so crazy now.
    I don’t agree with that kind of mark up, but I can understand the anger over a distributor who is simply investing in the ammo and making most of the money while the factory does all the hard work of increasing production and shipping more.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I don’t understand how it’s more expensive ordering it directly from federal than it is buying it at Academy. Even academy prices aren’t anything special now. At $18.49 for a box of Federal American Eagle 124gr 9mm that’s .38 per round before tax and .40 per round after.

La. CHP Instructor #409

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jstudzinski View Post
    I don’t understand how it’s more expensive ordering it directly from federal than it is buying it at Academy. Even academy prices aren’t anything special now. At $18.49 for a box of Federal American Eagle 124gr 9mm that’s .38 per round before tax and .40 per round after.
    Federal started doing this in order to make more money. Retail after tax at Academy is about twice the price a distributor pays.

Marksman

User Info Menu

What is interesting they have 2 listing for 147 grains, one for 34 and the other for 27. Did a comparsion, and nothing is different. box is even the same, model number changed though.