Meplat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marksman

User Info Menu

AK or AR shotgun

Been looking at a new shotgun Have a double barrel but want a new auto looking at some of the military style guns what is your choice and why.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Beretta 1301 tactical

Or cool factor 12guage ak platform

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom

User Info Menu

I do not like detachable magazine fed shotguns.

Most have plastic bits.

Shotgun shells are heavy.

There is a lot of inertia when you launch 9 00 Buck pellets down range at 1200+ FPS. (recoil)

I doubt any of the magazines I've seen would hold up well over time to that kind of inertia with that much weight in them.

Just my opinion.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DBMJR1 View Post
    I do not like detachable magazine fed shotguns.

Most have plastic bits.

Shotgun shells are heavy.

There is a lot of inertia when you launch 9 00 Buck pellets down range at 1200+ FPS. (recoil)

I doubt any of the magazines I've seen would hold up well over time to that kind of inertia with that much weight in them.

Just my opinion.
    Ive seen plenty of metal 12 gauge mags. I wouldn’t be as concerned with the plastic ones id be more concerned with the magazine concept in general on a 12 gauge. Mag fed shotguns doesn’t seem to be something that has been perfected yet and I see no advantage over a traditional tube fed pump personally.

User Info Menu

I have a tristar krx semi-auto shotgun with detachable mags.it has treated me very well after the break in period. I have 2 five rd and 1 ten rd mags. After the break-in it has run everything I've thrown at it. Factory loads, my reloads, it doesn't matter it will cycle them. During break-in I had a few ftf but not so many that I hated it. I rather ar pattern due to ergonomics and familiarity with the ar platform. I plan on taking it duck hunting later this year and deer or hog hunting also.

Sic semper tyrannis

User Info Menu

I have a factory Vepr 12 that absolutely devours anything 1300 fps or faster, 2.75 or 3" shells. It will even shoot some lover velocity rounds. Its a blast and not too bad on recoil.
    Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free.

I like guns because they're f*cking awesome.

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

AK style shotguns run surprisingly well, but the cost, weight, and size makes them a novelty outside of competition.

The Beretta 1301 is peak performance for scatterguns in 2021.

On Target

User Info Menu

Shotgun shells are plastic and can start to deform if left loaded in a stacked magazine... Oval shells don't feed very well.
    The Soviets solved that issue with fully brass shells but I've never seen them for sale in the US.
    If you don't plan to leave the mags loaded this is not an issue.
    Either way though, the correct answer is 1301T.

Marksman

Silver Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bigchillin83 View Post
    Beretta 1301 tactical

Or cool factor 12guage ak platform
    Yes to the 1301T! Once you master shooting it, you can fire several 00 buckshot rounds in under 3 seconds. Every pull of the trigger will release 9 .33 cal pellets. With the entire magazine, you can put up a wall of projectiles that far exceeds a 30 round mag and much more effective than any SMG! The media doesn’t seem to know this though.

Redneck with a gun!

User Info Menu

I like the 3 1/2 in 00 buck in my super x 2.