Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Reliable handgun red dot?

Was on the edge of ordering a Vortex Venom, until reading a few reviews of it randomly cutting off. Now second guessing my decision.

Hoping someone here can recommend one, Iíd like to stay in the $400 range, but rather pay more than have one I canít trust. Any first hand experience?

Will most likely be going on a p30L

What's This For Again

User Info Menu

https://www.sagedynamics.org/ click on the pdf White Paper: Miniaturized Red Dot Systems for Duty Handgun Use, Third Edition this should tell you all you need to know about the reliability of handgun optics.

Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

C-More STS has done me right. I think they were the first to have one that would survive on a 1911 slide. Trijicon, Leopold, even the later Burris models hold up pretty well.
    Vortex does have that lifetime warranty and awesome customer service and I’ve never been sorry with anything I’ve bought from them.
    Doesnít play well with TROLLS...

Guns are my crack!!

Premium Member

User Info Menu

I have two Vortex Venom's that I've run on my carry guns for a couple of years now with no issues. I have 3 Holosun 507c's which are on my competitions guns and one on a carry gun, Delta Point Pro and an original Delta Point on two other comp guns, Trijicon SRO on my TSO, and C-More on my open guns. I have never had any issues with any of my optics except for the original Delta Point which was cause by someone else not loosening the set screws before making an adjustment and Leopold replaced it with the Delta Point Pro. My favorite right now are my 507c's
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

I carry a gun because I'm too old for an ass whoopin', and too young to die!

USPSA # FY-55195
    NRA # 138603535

On Target

User Info Menu

I own 7 holosuns and they never let me down. I love them for the price.

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

If it's going on a P30L that you carry, you will want a Trijicon RMR or Holosun 407C/507C. I'm unaware of anyone making plates for P30's that can utilize the Holosun 508/509 or Aimpoint ACRO.

Most optics are fine if you don't plan on dropping them, but some have internal issues with battery connectors and electronics failing, such as the continuous issues with early Delta Point Pros.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Had a Vortex Razor take a dump after a couple thousand rounds on a 2011, Vortex replaced it no questions asked. Pistol now has a Trijicon CC installed, not enough rounds to make a call on reliability
    Why .45? Because they don't make a .46!

enthusiast

User Info Menu

I have multiple RMR’s. I’ve never had one break but I have had them run out of batteries. I also have the dual lume ones that do not require batteries. Overall I like them.

I’ve broken primary arms micro reflexes, and had a Burris fast fire either get super dim or refuse to turn on. I own a Holosun but have not had the time to get an opinion on it yet
    Stephen

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. I’ve decided to wait for an optic ready gun rather than paying to have the slides milled etc

Old School

User Info Menu

Thanks for all your commentary. I'm in the hunt for an optic to add to my Ruger 22/45 Mk-V. This helped broaden the knowledge base and contribute to the selection effort.
    "How did you learn to shoot like that!!??....."Practice!!"

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Final. You Must Learn to be Slow in a Hurry"......Wyatt Earp