CS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Lifetime Permit Training Renewal

A buddy of mine has the lifetime permit and the 5-year mark to re-submit training has lapsed. What is the process on those? Is the requirement attending another full CHP training and submitting the paperwork just as you would a standard renewal?

I decided against the lifetime permit so Iím not familiar with the process at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

La. CHP Instructor #409

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Sixty days after date on permit is the maximum time allowed in order to have paperwork in to LSP.
    Sixty one days after date on permit and he/she must start over as if he/she never had a permit.

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    Sixty days after date on permit is the maximum time allowed in order to have paperwork in to LSP.
    Sixty one days after date on permit and he/she must start over as if he/she never had a permit.
    Good info, thanks. So even if you paid for lifetime, after 60 days you're back to square one?

La. CHP Instructor #409

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedRacer View Post
    Good info, thanks. So even if you paid for lifetime, after 60 days you're back to square one?
    As far as I know 60 days is 60 days and you must start over.
    You have a 5 month window to renew.

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

The lifetime permit plays by the same rules as the five year, with two execptions:

1) You only have five years from the date issued to use your permit to bypass NICS.
    2) You only pay once.

IMO, it’s not worth it.

Sadly, like JBP55 said, you have to follow the same rules with the lifetime to ensure you attend the course every five years and provide proof to LSP. I don’t know if you lose the lifetime eligibility if you don’t renew in time, but you definitely won’t have a permit.

It’s all rather irrelevant anyway, everyone takes the same course. There are no more short renewal courses.

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    The lifetime permit plays by the same rules as the five year, with two execptions:

1) You only have five years from the date issued to use your permit to bypass NICS.
    2) You only pay once.

IMO, it’s not worth it.

Sadly, like JBP55 said, you have to follow the same rules with the lifetime to ensure you attend the course every five years and provide proof to LSP. I don’t know if you lose the lifetime eligibility if you don’t renew in time, but you definitely won’t have a permit.

It’s all rather irrelevant anyway, everyone takes the same course. There are no more short renewal courses.
    Sounds like he's still in the 60 day window so no worries there. But yeah, I don't know why the hell he did lifetime I think it's a bad deal all the way around.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post

2) You only pay once.

IMO, it’s not worth it.

I've wondered what benefit people see in getting the lifetime permit. Skipping the NICS alone is enough for me to not even consider it. My FFL visits are now about 5 minutes to fill out the 4473 and I'm out the door.

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fugum View Post
    I've wondered what benefit people see in getting the lifetime permit. Skipping the NICS alone is enough for me to not even consider it. My FFL visits are now about 5 minutes to fill out the 4473 and I'm out the door.
    You can skip the NICS check with a lifetime permit, but only 5 years from the date it was issued. When they wrote that law, the lifetime permit did exist, but since you don't get a new lifetime permit every five years, it doesn't allow you to use it. I don't know of any FFL's that will allow you to use an older permit to bypass NICS, for fear they may get in trouble.

Marksman

Silver Member

User Info Menu

It appears that the purpose of the lifetime permit is to confuse and drive people crazy while attempting to conduct their daily lives.

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedRacer View Post
    Sounds like he's still in the 60 day window so no worries there. But yeah, I don't know why the hell he did lifetime I think it's a bad deal all the way around.
    I think it’s $500 for the lifetime for us regular folk. So that would take 20 years just to break even. A lot happens in 20 years, so I didn’t even know if I would still live here. I just don’t get the allure either. It’s nothing like a lifetime hunting/fishing license.