Meplat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by XD-GEM View Post
    HB 159 could be problematic.
    HB159 (MALINDA WHITE-D): DOMESTIC ABUSE: Provides for the definition of domestic abuse

It seeks to redefine "Domestic Violence" as "Domestic Abuse" and could include mere threats as "abuse." This bill purports to address cases of divorce and child custody, however, other "red flag" type laws could possibly be affected if they reflect back to the laws amended by this bill for their definitions pursuant to the removal of firearms from someone.
    This is a long bill and I'm not really an expert on domestic violence / abuse. Can you elaborate on your concerns?

On the surface, I'm not sure that I'd have a problem with someone being in legal hot water for making a threat. But again, I'm not in the weeds of this legislation.

Mike
    ΦΒΚ. Honi soit qui mal y pense.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RaleighReloader View Post
    Yes there is. See HB118. To wit:

Mike
    Excellent! Thank you for sharing!

Marksman

User Info Menu

This is a long bill and I'm not really an expert on domestic violence / abuse. Can you elaborate on your concerns?

On the surface, I'm not sure that I'd have a problem with someone being in legal hot water for making a threat. But again, I'm not in the weeds of this legislation.

Mike
    *Threats of abuse* can be a he said/she said thing that can get an innocent person jammed up. Or maybe I am just PTSDing from the commie state I used to reside in.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Bump. Just updated the list.
    ΦΒΚ. Honi soit qui mal y pense.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Bump. Just updated the list.
    Roger that. Thank you for doing the hard work for us and posting all of this great information!

Trying to get in touch with my State Rep to push permitless carry and 2A Sanctuary bills

Also contracted State Senator on SB118 (Senate version of permitless conceal carry)

Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

I sure hope we will get a good Republican governor next term and I don’t mean some Lame ass rhino poser Republican either. Sure would be nice as every Democrat we’ve had in there in the past 30 years or so has been a big loser for our state.
    Doesnít play well with TROLLS...

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Magdump View Post
    I sure hope we will get a good Republican governor next term and I don’t mean some Lame ass rhino poser Republican either. Sure would be nice as every Democrat we’ve had in there in the past 30 years or so has been a big loser for our state.
    You mean like this guy?

https://www.wbap.com/2021/04/27/wbap...-by-lawmakers/

XD-GEM

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Mike
    Sorry for the delay in replying (family health crises, hopefully settled down now).

Horrible referenced part of the problem when a mere spoken threat is involved. The question becomes, "What is an actual threat?" Does Ralph Cramden's, "One of these days, Alice - Bang Zoom to the moon!" count? If so, the various states that have severe red flag laws could use this citation in the divorce case to impose a removal of one's guns for having committed "domestic abuse" from a mere spoken word.

I see that since this posting that the bill has been amended to include an "intent" clause. That makes it harder for my concern to play out, but not impossible.