Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 456 ... LastLast
    Marksman

Silver Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thperez1972 View Post
    I can't agree that his fears for retaliation for initial noncompliance were justified. He wasn't maced for his initial noncompliance. He was maced for his continued noncompliance. Had he stepped out on his own, I suspect he would have likely been brought to the ground and handcuffed. But it's unfair to say the cop's reaction to his current and ongoing noncompliance is evidence of what the cop will do in retaliation for the initial noncompliance.

Just so we are on the same page, at what time in the video was it established the LT was not a threat?

The LT may not react well to threats. After all, he sure doesn't react well to authority.

I think they knew the LT was not a threat once they got close, with their service pistols still pointed at him, and saw that he was alone, attired in an authentic service utilities uniform, no weapons in plain view, and his hands were still outside the window. At that point, I think the Sarge should have breathed a sigh of relief, calmed down, and then permitted the LT to do the same. Instead, the Sarge continued his adversarial disposition as if he was dealing with a career criminal. The LT obviously did not feel comfortable getting out as the perceived hostility of the officers continued.

There are times when a jaded gunfighter attitude can backfire when LE deals with the non-criminal element. I am not intimidated by LE pointing firearms at me and really don’t care during a stop, but most people don’t see it that way.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 323MAR View Post
    I think they knew the LT was not a threat once they got close, with their service pistols still pointed at him, and saw that he was alone, attired in an authentic service utilities uniform, no weapons in plain view, and his hands were still outside the window. At that point, I think the Sarge should have breathed a sigh of relief, calmed down, and then permitted the LT to do the same. Instead, the Sarge continued his adversarial disposition as if he was dealing with a career criminal. The LT obviously did not feel comfortable getting out as the perceived hostility of the officers continued.

There are times when a jaded gunfighter attitude can backfire when LE deals with the non-criminal element. I am not intimidated by LE pointing firearms at me and really donít care during a stop, but most people donít see it that way.
    The LT was not getting out of the vehicle no matter how they talked to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Censored by "them"

Marksman

User Info Menu

Not sure about everyone else though I know my parents and school teachers always taught me to respect law enforcement officers and instilled love of country including its service members.
    What ever happened to that thought pattern ?
    Comply with orders and have a good / better outcome OR be a douche canoe and bring crap down upon yourself... Hmm which one should we choose here ??
    Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

I agree that if something done is not kosher during a stop or interaction with any law enforcement, comply and take your grievance to a court room to let a judge decide.
    Do not bury me with flowers.. Instead bury me with the empty cases I defended my rights with !

-Administrator-
    Make your own luck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOR51 View Post
    The LT was not getting out of the vehicle no matter how they talked to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    bUt hIs rIgHts

Seriously, play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I've only asked to step out of my vehicle once and it was so the cop could show me that my brake light had quite literally fallen out of my old SUV and was hanging by the cord. He also wanted me to watch as he put it back in before he gave me a fist bump and said to drive safe. My rights were totally abused.
    -- Austin

"There is no "i" in team but there is in win. "
    --Michael Jordan

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Cryptocurrency? Free $25 for giving it a shot! (Click Here)

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

There are times when a jaded gunfighter attitude can backfire when LE deals with the non-criminal element. I am not intimidated by LE pointing firearms at me and really don’t care during a stop, but most people don’t see it that way.
    You can say he wasn't a threat because you know the end of the story. He was alone, attired in an authentic service utilities uniform, no weapons on the dashboard that the officers could see, his hands were still outside the window, yet he continued to be non-compliant. Is it unreasonable that someone might not yet see him as a non-threat?

La. CHP Instructor #409

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterLa View Post
    Not sure about everyone else though I know my parents and school teachers always taught me to respect law enforcement officers and instilled love of country including its service members.
    What ever happened to that thought pattern ?
    Comply with orders and have a good / better outcome OR be a douche canoe and bring crap down upon yourself... Hmm which one should we choose here ??
    Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

I agree that if something done is not kosher during a stop or interaction with any law enforcement, comply and take your grievance to a court room to let a judge decide.
    This.

Marksman

Silver Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thperez1972 View Post
    You can say he wasn't a threat because you know the end of the story. He was alone, attired in an authentic service utilities uniform, no weapons on the dashboard that the officers could see, his hands were still outside the window, yet he continued to be non-compliant. Is it unreasonable that someone might not yet see him as a non-threat?

He did absolutely nothing but stay in his vehicle with his hands on the door. That is 100% factual and backed up by the footage. The DA is going to kick this one back.

Was it really such a sin for the LT to want to remain in his vehicle?
    Was it really important for the Sarge to show that arrogant LT who’s boss?

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

He did absolutely nothing but stay in his vehicle with his hands on the door. That is 100% factual and backed up by the footage. The DA is going to kick this one back.

Was it really such a sin for the LT to want to remain in his vehicle?
    Was it really important for the Sarge to show that arrogant LT who’s boss?
    You're proving my point. Despite the lawful order for the driver to exit the vehicle, the driver did absolutely nothing but stay in his vehicle with his hands on the door. His non-compliance is 100% factual and backed up by video. The police wanted to separate the driver from the vehicle and anything that may be in the vehicle that the driver could use to harm others. Information learned after the fact should not be used to determine if an action is reasonable. The only information that should be used is information known or information that should have been known at the time the decision was made. As they approached the driver side door, they saw a uniform. The driver was still an unknown due to the lack of a visible license plate. They still could not see inside the vehicle due to the tint on the windows. Let's look at the video again. At what time in the video was it established the driver was not a threat?

There's nothing wrong with the LT wanting to stay in the video but this isn't about his wants. It's about his actions. And the Sarge wasn't showing the LT who's boss. The Sarge was separating the LT from any unknowns in the vehicle. I'm always surprised when people feel the subject of a police investigation should be the one deciding how that investigation is conducted.

Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

Governor ordered the State Police to investigate.
    Oh my..

https://youtu.be/IC6fGJt22As
    Doesnít play well with TROLLS...

Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

Oh man, this is getting good. Those cops are gonna be famous.

https://youtu.be/u21YnFeQAJY
    Doesnít play well with TROLLS...