CS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good snake gun?

Marksman

Silver Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
    I’m not sure how good a semi-auto would feed with snake shot. I use a tachticool shovel myownself.
    LOL! You just triggered an old memory from my childhood. I killed a snake for the first time when I was 13 years old with one of my Grandfather’s shovels. It was one of the shovels I used to till soil for his vegetable garden every summer since I was 7 years old. It was a really messy affair that attracted the attention of several neighbors. Those people quietly backed away after seeing what was left of the snake and the mean expression on my face.

Be honest.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 323MAR View Post
    I agree, a .22 snub would be light weight and works great with snake shot. I carry a Smith & Wesson Airlight .22 whenever I am on my Uncle’s ranch in Waller County, TX.
    I had a 22lr snub nose Taurus 9 shot. The pattern would open up to about 2 feet wide past about 6 feet. It was actually useless for snakes in my opinion. I upgraded to one of those Heritage revolvers with the loading gate and a 6 inch barrel. Makes all the difference and relatively cheap.
    "The world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it." - Albert Einstein

Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

Over the years I’ve made a 4* barreled .22 revolver with rat shot work for snake killing. A 6* barrel might give you a couple more feet and an effective range of about 8-10 feet. That’s longer than most garden tools and you only need one hand, which works out well if you’re wrestling an overzealous pet with the other hand. It’s super easy to test the effective range on a paper target or old box. It only takes a couple of #12 shot through the head to incapacitate a snake as they’re relatively easy to kill. Snakes under 16 inches or so just get my boot unless they’re not in the open enough to stomp them. A snake head is very soft. I generally kill every poisonous snake I run across but it’s rare I’ll kill the non poisonous unless I catch a big chicken snake (Texas Rat snake) actively hunting my chickens.
    I’ve found the best shot shells are the Remington loaded with #10 shot. They’re crimped like the Winchester loads but the 10 shot makes a better kill at better range. They can also be fired in semi auto pistols and rifles whereas the CCI loads with the blue plastic capsule will make a mess eventually. If you can find 22 mag rat shot it is slightly more effective. If you can find a Marlin garden gun (smoothbore 22 mag bolt action rifle) you will have found the outer limits of ratshot kill power. I load my own in 44 magnum (you can buy the blue capsules) and have found 6 or 7.5 shot to be the ideal.
    A more effective but less handy alternative is one of the snake charmer type .410 mini shotguns made to fire one handed. I like keeping one close by at times for dispatching most any nuisance animal and snakes. The cheapest target loads can decimate any snake you’ll run across and you can shoot up to 3 inch 000 buck or slugs if you’re into that.
    Everything I’ve posted here is from my own experience over the years. Good luck in your endeavor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	029E26F4-0F74-4B5E-98D3-F11431865035.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	247.6 KB 
ID:	105093   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F434DEEC-9377-4C84-B690-B435656B330F.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	245.0 KB 
ID:	105094   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D69EDBCC-A23E-4C3B-B6C0-E540209B8CA8.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	246.3 KB 
ID:	105095   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DDE9F3CD-D925-427F-A9BC-976646E66C26.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	244.4 KB 
ID:	105096  
    Last edited by Magdump; April 21st, 2021 at 07:56 AM.
    Doesnít play well with TROLLS...

Marksman

User Info Menu

Iím not sure how good a semi-auto would feed with snake shot. I use a tachticool shovel myownself.
    I carry a semi auto with suppressor and I agree, I donít use rat shot. Regular 22 ammo works fine and gives you more in case bigger critters are encountered.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Iím not sure how good a semi-auto would feed with snake shot. I use a tachticool shovel myownself.
    I use CCI shotshells in both my 9mm and 45acp and it cycles just fine and leaves big holes in said snakes.

I despise ARFCOM

Premium Member

User Info Menu

.22 Snake shot is useless .
    I tried being normal once , I didn't like it .

Marksman

Silver Member

User Info Menu

S&W 625 here. 45ACP shot shells are quick and final.
    My name is Jim, but people call me .......... Jim.

Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
    I beg to differ, unless you feel the need to be more than 10 feet from a snake. I’ve killed plenty of them with it, big and small. One of our members sent me video dusting a big cane break off the Ramah levee. I was not one bit surprised. He was using a 6 or 8 inch Heritage pistol.
    If it were useless people would have eventually forgotten it.
    Last edited by Magdump; April 21st, 2021 at 12:31 PM.
    Doesnít play well with TROLLS...

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman View Post

Yeah, ask the snakes that have gotten their lives ended by such ammo!

On Target

User Info Menu

Ruger LCRx in 38(rat shot) is what I use, it's light weight and a great "yard" carry. Shot one today. Any of the calibers in the LCRx would work as long as you can get rat shot for them.